Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Young RE Investors

NikZad

Registered
I think this is a great idea Russell,

I would like to hear what young successful investors are doing to separate themselves from the rest of the pack. What type of seminars and events have you attended that have had the biggest impact on your early success? How do you continue to keep focused and motivated?

As much as I am interested in hearing what the current young investors are doing to create wealth early in their lives, I would be VERY interested in hearing what some of the successful veteran investors did early on in their careers to obtain their current wealth. What do you feel your biggest obstacles were and how did you overcome them? What would you have done differently if you could go back to when you first started investing? What are the top reasons you feel you have became a successful real estate investor?

R

RussellWestcott

Excellent responses everyone... the plans, and the participants are being confirmed. I have lined up 6 Real Estate investors that were between the ages of 21 to 26 when they started investing, and each of them now have accumulated a Real Estate portfolio between 43 to over 200 properties. The values of these portfolios range from $12.5 million to over $100 million!

I am looking forward to hearing from these `young gun` Real Estate investors, you still have time to submit your questions you would like answered...

Details to follow...

cheers

NeilUttamsingh

Registered
QUOTE (RussellWestcott @ Feb 2 2009, 11:40 PM)
Excellent responses everyone... the plans, and the participants are being confirmed. I have lined up 6 Real Estate investors that were between the ages of 21 to 26 when they started investing, and each of them now have accumulated a Real Estate portfolio between 43 to over 200 properties. The values of these portfolios range from $12.5 million to over $100 million!

I am looking forward to hearing from these 'young gun' Real Estate investors, you still have time to submit your questions you would like answered...

Details to follow...

cheers

Hi Russell,

Thanks again for organizing this. Another question that I would like answered by these investors is:

How did they 'plant the seed' with all of their JV partners at the begining? Were they systematic, and would only JV with certain people? Or, did they JV with anyone that had the cash to invest? What are their thoughts and past experiences with JVing with family and friends vs. acquaintances.

Regards,

Neil

Allie

Registered
It sounds like a great line up Russell. Questions I would like to have answered:
1. How long did it take for their property to cash flow to the point where they could live off its income?
2. What tool(s) do they think is responsible for the bulk of their success. Ex. JVs? Networking?
3. What would they do differently if they knew then what they know now?

And just for fun, I would like to hear their plans for the future

Jason77

Registered
I may be a little late to jump in this thread......, but I`m from Edmonton and a brand new RE Investor! 23 years old.
I want to network and learn together with you all (especially you Edmontonians!)

I think if we can get a weekly/bi-weekly meetup going that would be unreal for our growth.

drop me an email ---> [email protected]. I`d like to get to know you!

Jason.

newtothegame

Registered
Hey all, I`m 28, recently bought my third property, this one with a friend and now business partner.... I guess that makes is 2.5. We plan on having many more in the future.

I`m located in Guelph Ontario so anyone around my area I`d be really into meeting and discussing the market, opportunities, positives and negatives through experience etc.

Leave a message here or shoot me an email at [email protected]

klewlis

Registered
Hi Jason,

A few of us got together a couple of weeks ago and are planning another meet. But I can't pm you the details since neither of us are allowed to pm. If you want to post your email address in some sort of spam-proofed way, we can add you to the email list.

QUOTE (Jason77 @ Feb 10 2009, 09:45 PM)
I may be a little late to jump in this thread......, but I'm from Edmonton and a brand new RE Investor! 23 years old.

I want to network and learn together with you all (especially you Edmontonians!)

I think if we can get a weekly/bi-weekly meetup going that would be unreal for our growth.

drop me an email ---> [email protected]. I'd like to get to know you!

Jason.

Jason77

Registered
QUOTE (klewlis @ Feb 12 2009, 06:11 PM)
Hi Jason,

A few of us got together a couple of weeks ago and are planning another meet. But I can't pm you the details since neither of us are allowed to pm. If you want to post your email address in some sort of spam-proofed way, we can add you to the email list.

Hi klewlis,

my email is [email protected]

Thanks!

klewlis

Registered
QUOTE (Jason77 @ Feb 12 2009, 06:30 PM)
Hi klewlis,

my email is [email protected]

Thanks!

lol apparently I was half-asleep when I read it the first time, since your email addy was obviously there! Sorry about that.

lyndsy

Registered
Just marking..can`t wait for the details on the conference call!

princecharles

Registered
Whoaa, I started this thread ages ago and haven`t had a chance to check back since.! (Pats himself on back). Apparently there is some seriously untapped demand here Don wherever you are, watching over us from above..

If REIN could facilitate a mentor program pairing experienced investors with volunteer beginners that would be b-r-i-l-l-i-a-n-t.

This conference call sounds epic as well! Yes I think one of the main themes will be creative modern financing, for me at least.

BTW I am from Toronto/Hamilton if anyone would like to connect.

Cheers everyone, well done!

bkivory

Registered
QUOTE (kay @ Jan 26 2009, 01:18 PM)
I am a new investor, and i think i'm still young!

I joined REIN late last year and since then have dedicated myself completely to developing my system, researching markets, and most importantly, developing an amazing network of people. Obviously there were many times when I was (an still am) intimidated to ask simple questions. With this in mind, and through my networking, I have organized a group of about 7-10 novice investors that will be meeting once/month just to talk about Real Estate. I am hoping this will be a casual atmosphere where we can discuss basic things like

-what is a matrix mortgage?

-turning bad debt into good debt

-people's experiences (good and bad) in purching their first (or otherwise) property

Anyway, not sure where you are located, however we will be meeting in a local coffee shop in downtown vancouver. If you are interested, let me know. Otherwise I am still interested in communicating via email.

Hey I'd love to be apart of your meeting! I live in Surrey, graduated recentely with my BBA and now I'm marketing manager for a large renovation company. I can't message anyone on this forum for some reason so someone reply here or email the details of the meet to [email protected]. I'm also down for general discussion or anything at all really with anyone in the Vancouver or BC area!

Look forward to chatting!

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
Hi Everyone

I`ve been investing since I was approx 24 yrs old - am now 27 with 30 doors.

Would be very willing to join in a `young RE investor` discussion!

Thanks

CarlaJohnson

Registered
The latest copy of Canadian Real Estate magazine has a special focus on young investors. There are several very inspiring profiles featured in it. The one that caught my eye was 12 & 13 year old, Kaitlyn & Alyssa Steel whose parents are Calgary REIN members. They co-own 3 properties with their parents. Brilliant!

We just got it in the mail. It will be in stores soon.

NorthernAlex

Registered
New to the country I am missing some background: I was told that minors are not allowed to have properties? Are the legal owner the parents and the kids did the research?

But truly a great idea.

CarlaJohnson

Registered
The article explains it somewhat. I believe minors can purchase a property, but there are some complications. The girls are joint venture partners with their parents. They have an agreement written up with a lawyer to clarify the relationship. The girls are involved in all aspects: research, number crunching,inspection, repairs, setting rent amounts... etc. The girls` parents are RE investors, but according to the article it was the girls who came up with the idea of getting into the business.

ChrisMewhort

Registered
QUOTE (CarlaJohnson @ Feb 25 2009, 05:20 PM)
The article explains it somewhat. I believe minors can purchase a property, but there are some complications. The girls are joint venture partners with their parents. They have an agreement written up with a lawyer to clarify the relationship. The girls are involved in all aspects: research, number crunching,inspection, repairs, setting rent amounts... etc. The girls' parents are RE investors, but according to the article it was the girls who came up with the idea of getting into the business.

I'll definitely pick up a copy if I see it on shelves -- what's distribution like with it? I've never seen it before.

I'm interested to read about the 12 &13 year old... Perhaps the parents (or the young investors!!) post here and could give a recap for those who haven't read the magazine?

DaveRhydderch

Registered
Did a group in Calgary get formed? I really would like to meet some like minded people who are in a similar life stage to me.

Top Bottom