Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What`s Your Underlying Reason For Investing?

housingrental

Registered
An entertaining post.

Thank you Greg!

[quote user=invst4profit]I have to agree with Adam's thinking. I don't believe any one starts at any business for any other reason than to make money. Investing is just another form of earning money. Sure we may personally enjoy what we are doing or use the money for a multitude of different reasons but money is the only driving factor. Take away the money and how many of us would stay at it. At any job or career. None.

As for why income properties. That's simple, going in we all believed it was simple, required little actual work and was guaranteed to earn money. How foolish was that.

housingrental

Registered
Ouch Greg, that was a bit harsh ?

[quote user=invst4profit]

I do not seek any hidden reasons to justify what I do. I work only for my own personal gain. I am very self aware of the true "why" of life and thankfully will not need to advancing beyond level one to continue with what I do. For others I understand a greater purpose may be required to justify a drive to earn money but I disagree with your conclusion that what I see as a justification is in fact a driver.

My apologies but I don't prescribe to psychobabble. Life is not that complicated. We are a society driven by material gain, some are simply more driven than others to that end, it is that simple.

AndreiAngelkovski

REIN Member
[quote user=invst4profit]My apologies but I don't prescribe to psychobabble. Life is not that complicated. We are a society driven by material gain, some are simply more driven than others to that end, it is that simple.

I quote my mentor: "Life is Simple, We Choose to Complicate it".

I couldn't agree more. I am not suggesting we turn this into a 17 page essay of why we want to invest in real estate. I believe it really is simple. And if you choose that your answer is simply "money" then so be it.

AndreiAngelkovski

REIN Member
[quote user=housingrental]"Why do I want to make money" is because I prefer the choices that additional money will allow greater than the negatives associated with earning additional money. The relative weighting will change at different times, and for different people

Good for you Adam. If you feel strongly about your reason that's all that's important.

JoeRagona

Registered
Thanks guys,

Yes Andrei I agree, this can get into a really long discussion because everyone has their own perception, and that is what makes us all unique.

Most of the time Greg, people are influenced and react to the circumstances around them, they don't go through life PROACTIVE.

I can fully understand where you are because I've been there ... it took me 40 years, but I advanced to another level ... you will too as will everyone, but there are many other factors that must take place before you do. At this point, you are ... which is completely normal, happy with where you are.

I completely agree that having MORE wealth makes it easier to "give back", but isn't that the point? It makes me feel absolutely incredible to give back because I'm not financially strapped. If one chooses to look at that as me being 'selfish', that is a perception which they nor I am right or wrong.

With that, I'm sure we can both agree :)

acurAspec

Registered
As was noted in earlier posts, but to simplify even more-- don't we all want to do well in life to buy ourselves more time? I am only 28 but I can imagine looking back at life when I am 40-50-60... saying how this time flew by so quick.. therefore, by investing and making money, you free yourself from obligations that a man has-- such as working to survive and give yourself the opportunity to do whatever you want by buying yourself TIME with MONEY created from investing. Then many of us can look back at life and say that we were able to give ourselves and those around us what we desired to satisfy our wants... and we are all happy with how our "short" life has actually lasted longer by enjoying our time.. doing traveling, spending it with loved ones, or helping others etc.-- whatever satisfies you deep within.

housingrental

Registered
Hi Andrei

Can you clarify - would this not apply to everyone?

If not, why do you want to make money?

[quote user=AndreiAngelkovski][quote user=housingrental]"Why do I want to make money" is because I prefer the choices that additional money will allow greater than the negatives associated with earning additional money. The relative weighting will change at different times, and for different people

Good for you Adam. If you feel strongly about your reason that's all that's important.

margaretcowan

REIN Member
Hi guys

I see no REIN women have added comments yet to this thought provoking thread. So here goes. Why do I invest in real estate?

Real estate is the only investment that has made me some good money over the years. Why do I want the money though?

Like others have said, I want a lifestyle of freedom, travel, time for me to do what I'm most passionate about and time to spend with people I care about. My Belize.

Since 1992, I've given to my favourite charity, the YWCA, because they really do help women and children in need. Yes, partly because I feel very fortunate to have money so there is a bit of guilt in there, and partly because of compassion, a big value for me. I've also felt blessed to be able to help a couple of long standing friends out with money gifts when they needed it.

I'm 61 now, single and have no family. I lead a very healthy lifestyle, like dragging myself to the gym 3X a week, but who knows what the future may drop on my doorstep? I may need someone living in my home to take care of me when I'm old and decrepit. No old age home for me! So part of my real estate nest egg is for that.

I wish everyone in this thread all the best in real estate investing whatever your reasons may be!

Cheers

Margaret

Mama Margaret & Friends Cooking Adventures in Italy

www.italycookingschools.com

JoeRagona

Registered
Good on you Margaret! Thank you for adding some very insightful value to the thought around this thread!

You have obviously stepped into the second zone I was talking about and maybe the third one of ultimate value is YOU! So keep up what you are doing with great speed forward.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
"WHY" do the people who seem concerned about other people's emotional reasons for investing in real estate either have some coaching to sell or JVs to invest in, or both?

#lookingbehindthecurtain

AndreiAngelkovski

REIN Member
[quote user=housingrental]Can you clarify - would this not apply to everyone?

Hey Adam,

I am not sure if this would apply to everyone...you'd have to ask them.

As for my personal Belize...I would be happy to share it with you next time we see each other at REIN.

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=JimWhitelaw]"WHY" do the people who seem concerned about other people's emotional reasons for investing in real estate either have some coaching to sell or JVs to invest in, or both?

#lookingbehindthecurtain

Interesting how that works. The most effective sales tactics are emotional. I'd be interested in hearing what people think the ethical line is there. (IE how strong an emotional response can you provoke before you're taking advantage of someone)

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=bizaro86]Interesting how that works. The most effective sales tactics are emotional. I'd be interested in hearing what people think the ethical line is there. (IE how strong an emotional response can you provoke before you're taking advantage of someone)

Although I agree that the most effective sales tactics are emotional, I don't believe that the strength of the emotional response is related to taking advantage of someone.

Whether or not I'm taking advantage of someone would depend moreso on my intent rather than the strength of the emotional response that I elicited.

My opinion only.

reinvestors88

Registered
As for me, I agree mostly to "money" being the first motive in Level 1. After meeting my financial targets, then, it is time to go to Level 2 whatever I deemed right things to do....my 2cents

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=Rickson9]Whether or not I'm taking advantage of someone would depend moreso on my intent rather than the strength of the emotional response that I elicited.

What if your intentions are good but your results are bad?

IE. A newbie real estate investor comes back excited from a seminar and uses emotion to get dad/gramma/best friend to fund a real estate joint venture. They make a variety of mistakes, and the money is lost.

Their intentions were good, but the results were poor. Personally, that seems ethically dubious, and would likely damage the relationship involved. Nobody thinks their deal will go south, but it happens.

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=Rickson9]For better or worse, I can only control my intent.

You can also control your actions.

Jeffery123

Registered
Awesome! We get so few opportunities for humor in our blogs. Thanks for finding the fun!

housingrental

Registered
Alright I'll take you up on it if it's too private for REIN space :)

[quote user=AndreiAngelkovski][quote user=housingrental]Can you clarify - would this not apply to everyone?

Hey Adam,

I am not sure if this would apply to everyone...you'd have to ask them.

As for my personal Belize...I would be happy to share it with you next time we see each other at REIN.

housingrental

Registered
Great post!!

This type of thing happens.... not much discussion on it.....

[quote user=bizaro86][quote user=Rickson9]Whether or not I'm taking advantage of someone would depend moreso on my intent rather than the strength of the emotional response that I elicited.

What if your intentions are good but your results are bad?

IE. A newbie real estate investor comes back excited from a seminar and uses emotion to get dad/gramma/best friend to fund a real estate joint venture. They make a variety of mistakes, and the money is lost.

Their intentions were good, but the results were poor. Personally, that seems ethically dubious, and would likely damage the relationship involved. Nobody thinks their deal will go south, but it happens.

Top Bottom