Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Government to be ousted....

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (Jay @ Dec 1 2008, 10:13 PM)
In the final analysis, any money not in the hands of the politicians whom seem to be constantly looking more at re-election and less at what is in the best interest of all Canadians can't be all bad.

Nicely said!

JohnS

Registered
OK, so I`ve got a philosophical-type question here that I`ve been pondering for a bit....

I understand, and agree to a certain extent, with everyone here about the need for political parties to do their own fundraising. People have brought up a lot of good points about the benefits of it, and I don`t have a problem with those benefits. However, there`s one thing that I think people haven`t adequately addressed, and that is the question about why is it bad for the state to also support political parties.

Someone, I believe it was Stephen (but I`m not sure, as I was kind of debating with a handful of people at the same time) brought up the possibility of funding a terrorist party. I think I addressed that pretty well, and Garth also brought up the idea of a wing of Hamas or....someone else getting political funding here. His argument, if I remember correctly, was that if we wouldn`t want to fund that even a little bit, then we shouldn`t fund anyone.

However, nobody touched on the idea that I had brought up....the whole idea of "I might not agree with your idea, but I will defend to the death your right to express it." So, I was wondering what people thought of that aspect. There are lots of ideas out there that I don`t agree with, and that I actually abhor, but I don`t want those thoughts banned. Rather, I would rather get them out in the open so that I can better attack and defeat them. In Canada, we`ve done that fairly well over the last century, and I`d like to think that we`re still able to defeat ideas through discussion, and not have to resort to banning them. It wasn`t that long ago that women were considered inferior to men, and people believed that it was the white man`s duty to civilize other cultures. These ideas are mostly non-existent now, thanks to people addressing them and disproving them.

Secondly, in an ideal democracy, each individual would take the time to get informed about each candidate before casting their vote. Now, we`re not an ideal democracy, but I don`t think that means that we shouldn`t strive towards getting closer to one. And if we want to have an educated, informed population before elections, to my mind that means that it`s at least partially the government`s responsibility to ensure that the information is readily accessible to each voter. The easiest way for the government to fulfill that responsibility would be to financially support each party`s efforts in getting out their message.

And lastly, as mentioned in some other post, a threshold of 5% (I believe) of the popular vote was set that is needed for different parties to access that funding. Now, I don`t know the actual numbers, but let`s say that half the population is of the age to vote, which means there are 16 000 000 eligible voters in Canada. Five percent of that is 800 000. If 800 000 Canadians think that the policies and ideas of a party are worthwhile, doesn`t it behoove me, as part of my civic duty, to at least see what they have to offer? And if it is my civic duty to do so, and if it`s the government`s responsibility to ensure that I can get informed fairly easily (as access to education is considered a right), then shouldn`t political parties be at least partially subsidized?

As I said before, I`m not looking for answers talking about the benefits of individuals supporting the party of their choice - I agree that that`s a good thing. But what I`m trying to figure out, so I can come to an informed opinion, is what are the reasons, philosophically speaking, why having the government involved in educating its population is a bad thing before an election.

So, any takers? Garth, you started to address it before - any more insights for me?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

navaz

Registered
I hate the thought - love Thomas Beyers thoughts. AS far as politicians making peanuts - NO- just lower salaries -but look at their overall compensation - pension- after 8 years they get full pension- 2/3 of their salary -what is that worth? It is like having someone paying your mortgage off after 2 terms in office - and then look at tax free allowances- they are not paid peanuts in an overall compensation -but then they get addicted to the power they get!

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (JohnS @ Dec 2 2008, 02:51 AM)
OK, so I've got a philosophical-type question here that I've been pondering for a bit....

I understand, and agree to a certain extent, with everyone here about the need for political parties to do their own fundraising. People have brought up a lot of good points about the benefits of it, and I don't have a problem with those benefits. However, there's one thing that I think people haven't adequately addressed, and that is the question about why is it bad for the state to also support political parties.

Someone, I believe it was Stephen (but I'm not sure, as I was kind of debating with a handful of people at the same time) brought up the possibility of funding a terrorist party. I think I addressed that pretty well, and Garth also brought up the idea of a wing of Hamas or....someone else getting political funding here. His argument, if I remember correctly, was that if we wouldn't want to fund that even a little bit, then we shouldn't fund anyone.

However, nobody touched on the idea that I had brought up....the whole idea of "I might not agree with your idea, but I will defend to the death your right to express it." So, I was wondering what people thought of that aspect. There are lots of ideas out there that I don't agree with, and that I actually abhor, but I don't want those thoughts banned. Rather, I would rather get them out in the open so that I can better attack and defeat them. In Canada, we've done that fairly well over the last century, and I'd like to think that we're still able to defeat ideas through discussion, and not have to resort to banning them. It wasn't that long ago that women were considered inferior to men, and people believed that it was the white man's duty to civilize other cultures. These ideas are mostly non-existent now, thanks to people addressing them and disproving them.

Secondly, in an ideal democracy, each individual would take the time to get informed about each candidate before casting their vote. Now, we're not an ideal democracy, but I don't think that means that we shouldn't strive towards getting closer to one. And if we want to have an educated, informed population before elections, to my mind that means that it's at least partially the government's responsibility to ensure that the information is readily accessible to each voter. The easiest way for the government to fulfill that responsibility would be to financially support each party's efforts in getting out their message.

And lastly, as mentioned in some other post, a threshold of 5% (I believe) of the popular vote was set that is needed for different parties to access that funding. Now, I don't know the actual numbers, but let's say that half the population is of the age to vote, which means there are 16 000 000 eligible voters in Canada. Five percent of that is 800 000. If 800 000 Canadians think that the policies and ideas of a party are worthwhile, doesn't it behoove me, as part of my civic duty, to at least see what they have to offer? And if it is my civic duty to do so, and if it's the government's responsibility to ensure that I can get informed fairly easily (as access to education is considered a right), then shouldn't political parties be at least partially subsidized?

As I said before, I'm not looking for answers talking about the benefits of individuals supporting the party of their choice - I agree that that's a good thing. But what I'm trying to figure out, so I can come to an informed opinion, is what are the reasons, philosophically speaking, why having the government involved in educating its population is a bad thing before an election./>

So, any takers? Garth, you started to address it before - any more insights for me?

JohnS

Money can indeed help to get information out. And that is for educators and doctors and the like to do. It is only purely information if it comes from one without an axe to grind, ie something to gain or win.

Do you really believe the political parties would use your money to disseminate pure information? Of course not, they're people too. They use it to fund the operations of their party machines, and included in that is their putting out to the public their message, complete with their spin. And they should have every right to put out their message, but I as a taxpayer should not be forced to pay for any of those marketing and advertising costs if I do not support that party's ideals and ambitions and agendas. All the parties should have to pay the costs of their operations.

Let's for once be just a little bit bold. Let's try something simple and balanced in this country lead by people of indecision
in the guise of openess and comprimise

Let's have taxpayers fund only the election campaign advertising costs of all the parties, on a pro-rata basis adjusted to the number of candidates they run, and limited by a factor that recognizes a 'value' for each of the Provinces they run candidates in (maybe based on population).

The Bloc would get only an amount relative to the cost of running their campaign advertising in Quebec. As things are now they are paid as if they had the expenses in all of Canada, so the money they receive has 3 or 4 times the value/impact as that of any of the other parties. DOesn't that leave you feeling a little like 'hey, that's not fair to the rest of Canadians'.

This would leave all the parties to raise their own money from their own supporters for all their other costs. But it would make for a level playing field for all parties at election time.

mcgregok

Registered
Unfortunately I havn`t had time to read all the post but was wondering what the gereral view was on how this will impact the Real Este price in Alberta. Do you think the new goverment will encourage the rigs to drill more thus creating more jobs in Alberta?

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (mcgregok @ Dec 2 2008, 12:29 PM)
Unfortunately I havn't had time to read all the post but was wondering what the gereral view was on how this will impact the Real Este price in Alberta. Do you think the new goverment will encourage the rigs to drill more thus creating more jobs in Alberta?

You're kidding, right?
<

No, there will be enormous pressure from Layton who wants to shut down the oil sands and from Dion who wants to tax them heavily enough to pay for all his green initiatives.

Remember that a Camel was actually a Horse designed by a Committee. And committees tend to work about like coalitions. Even less decisive than Mr. Dithers was (aka Paul Martin).

Hey, here's an idea, let's have the environmental/carbon taxes paid by the people/industries/countries who actually use the fuels created by the extraction and refining processes. Remember that without those consumers of energy we would not bother to take it out of the ground. So if we do so in their ultimate interests shouldn't they have to pay the environmental price, as much as is possible. And let's not hear that, well, we could leave it in the ground and let others do the dirty work. There isn't enough in the ground elsewhere to support mid-term demand.

Maybe we'd get somewhere if the whole world would collaberate and create a giant pool of money and a vision to focus scientists and inventors everywhere to develop effective and marketable alternate energy sources.

Remember how JFK got America focused on landing a man on the moon? We need to do that. They did the impossible in about 8 years. How?

They succeeded because they were captivated by an inspiring leader who created a vision they took on as their own, and they focused on that vision. And that was just the combined effort of one nation
. Well, one and a half, as Canadians were actually huge players in all levels of NASA back then, as they had all gone south when we collapsed our aerospace industry as collaterol damage in shutting down the Avro Arrow.

mcgregok

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Dec 2 2008, 01:10 PM)
You're kidding, right?
<

No, there will be enormous pressure from Layton who wants to shut down the oil sands and from Dion who wants to tax them heavily enough to pay for all his green initiatives.

Remember that a Camel was actually a Horse designed by a Committee. And committees tend to work about like coalitions. Even less decisive than Mr. Dithers was (aka Paul Martin).

Hey, here's an idea, let's have the environmental/carbon taxes paid by the people/industries/countries who actually use the fuels created by the extraction and refining processes. Remember that without those consumers of energy we would not bother to take it out of the ground. So if we do so in their ultimate interests shouldn't they have to pay the environmental price, as much as is possible. And let's not hear that, well, we could leave it in the ground and let others do the dirty work. There isn't enough in the ground elsewhere to support mid-term demand.

Maybe we'd get somewhere if the whole world would collaberate and create a giant pool of money and a vision to focus scientists and inventors everywhere to develop effective and marketable alternate energy sources.

Remember how JFK got America focused on landing a man on the moon? We need to do that. They did the impossible in about 8 years. How?

They succeeded because they were captivated by an inspiring leader who created a vision they took on as their own, and they focused on that vision. And that was just the combined effort of one nation
. Well, one and a half, as Canadians were actually huge players in all levels of NASA back then, as they had all gone south when we collapsed our aerospace industry as collaterol damage in shutting down the Avro Arrow.

Just Kiding! But we should be all over the Alberta priemer to make a firm stand tha twe will not stand for any more taxes.

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (mcgregok @ Dec 2 2008, 01:13 PM) Just Kiding! But we should be all over the Alberta priemer to make a firm stand tha twe will not stand for any more taxes.

The taxes will not be enacted by Stelmach. They will be federal taxes, and Uncle Ed will have no power over them. So it`s the federal MP`s who should be hearing from you on this.

Torey

Registered
QUOTE (navaz @ Dec 2 2008, 05:49 AM)
I hate the thought - love Thomas Beyers thoughts.

AS far as politicians making peanuts - NO- just lower salaries -but look at their overall compensation - pension- after 8 years they get full pension- 2/3 of their salary -what is that worth? It is like having someone paying your mortgage off after 2 terms in office - and then look at tax free allowances- they are not paid peanuts in an overall compensation -but then they get addicted to the power they get!

A thief is paranoid, and sees other thief's everywhere. Harper claims this is about siezing power. Why in the first place does Harper have the mental complex that he deserves to yield absolute power, ability to make decisions regarding the entirety of Canada without consulting the remaining represented politicians, with a mere minority government? He portrays the opposition as being power hungry, but are they really?

My personal dilemma with this situation is our interests as a small business/RE investors, verses my interests morally and ethically as a human being, and between constantly trying to interpret who is the lesser of the two evils regarding Conservatives vs. Liberals. Is it even possible for a politician to be of pure integrity?

The Conservatives seem to be best for RE investors in the west; big oil business, et cetera. Also, Don Campbell -seems to appear- to promote them and thus they must be good for us as RE investors, right? Please correct me if wrong.

However, as for Harper the person/human, one might speculate that he as a politician is either addicted to power, or just as Brian Mulroney, a puppet of powerful lobby groups. (Just a reminder that Mulroney was interviewed on television before being elected regarding his stance that free trade would be a direct attack on Canadian sovereignty. YET, he dedicated his time as prime minister to making free trade a reality. - sourced from a pol. sci. course I took)

So, Harper the person, does he not remind anyone else of a highschool smartbum/bully? WHY would he waste time taking away a meagre ~$26m from opposing political parties. What is the motive behind his incredulous move to eliminate public democratic funding of political parties, a principle that Canada helps spread amidst the world whilst promoting/building new democracies, but to better serve the interests of corporate Canada and simply be the cheapest politcal eye-poke ever?

To be fair, does anyone know the ratios of funding sourced by all parties from the $1.95/vote as well as other sources? Is it possible that the $26m is also peanuts compared to funding raised by other sources, for the NPD and Liberals?

Perhaps the Conservative party "deserves" to be the government having gained the most votes. After all, with their ingenious marketing campaigns, they did win the election - but how much of any of this B.S. is REAL in todays world, as opposed to psychological manipulation via unregulated marketing and attack adds? It is common knowledge that political parties in today's fake world must engage in negative branding of opposing parties. If only it was illegal to focus such negative energy on deconstructive government building - This situation however, seems to be a growing resemblance to that of US politics. Maybe there is a fundamental problem with Canadian values... voters, AND politicians.

Perhaps the conservative party simply needs an older, wiser, more sophisticated leader who doesn't have to die his hair gray and wear make-up to appear old and wise to fear-tactic vulnerable Canadians.

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (Torey @ Dec 3 2008, 02:07 AM)
A thief is paranoid, and sees other thief's everywhere. Harper claims this is about siezing power. Why in the first place does Harper have the mental complex that he deserves to yield absolute power, ability to make decisions regarding the entirety of Canada without consulting the remaining represented politicians, with a mere minority government? He portrays the opposition as being power hungry, but are they really?

My personal dilemma with this situation is our interests as a small business/RE investors, verses my interests morally and ethically as a human being, and between constantly trying to interpret who is the lesser of the two evils regarding Conservatives vs. Liberals. Is it even possible for a politician to be of pure integrity?

The Conservatives seem to be best for RE investors in the west; big oil business, et cetera. Also, Don Campbell -seems to appear- to promote them and thus they must be good for us as RE investors, right? Please correct me if wrong.

However, as for Harper the person/human, one might speculate that he as a politician is either addicted to power, or just as Brian Mulroney, a puppet of powerful lobby groups. (Just a reminder that Mulroney was interviewed on television before being elected regarding his stance that free trade would be a direct attack on Canadian sovereignty. YET, he dedicated his time as prime minister to making free trade a reality. - sourced from a pol. sci. course I took)

So, Harper the person, does he not remind anyone else of a highschool smartbum/bully? WHY would he waste time taking away a meagre ~$26m from opposing political parties. What is the motive behind his incredulous move to eliminate public democratic funding of political parties, a principle that Canada helps spread amidst the world whilst promoting/building new democracies, but to better serve the interests of corporate Canada and simply be the cheapest politcal eye-poke ever?

Ow - nice points, Torey! And good intro!

You know, up until earlier today, I was thinking that as much as Harper is toxic for Canada as a whole (not just the economy, but Canada as a whole), I was against the Coalition, as I thought it was for the wrong reasons, at the wrong time. But after reading Dan Eisenhauer's (I hope I got that right) posts and this, I really started rethinking.

In REIN, we've been talking about how Canada is the best set of all the countries to weather the coming problems economically. And Harper probably will pull us through the next few months better than the Coalition, economically. However, I think we do have to look at more than just the economics. Just like when looking at our Personal Belizes, I haven't heard about anyone focussing on the money they'll have - it's all about the quality of life. And under Harper, I think we'll be sacrificing too much for the state of the economy. Things like our democracy....freedom of speech...the environment...but especially our democracy. In an earlier conversation tonight, I came up with about 10 attacks Harper has made on democracy, and those were just off the top of my head.

Now sure, our economy might get a bit bumped and bruised in the upcoming year, but I thought that's why we had worked to build a strong economy...so that we could weather the bad times! Kind of like a reserve fund! But I would rather maintain a strong democracy and positive way of life than have a strong economy with a much-weakened democracy. Either way, the economy will bounce back, but there's no guarantee the others will.

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

AlanHunt

Registered
QUOTE (seeu22 @ Nov 28 2008, 11:20 AM) Check out the link;

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/abc/home/...s_fiscal_081128

I`m really starting to get tired of these guys. Where do I send my memebership money for the western seperation party?

Neil

If the west did separate, do you think the current provincial governments would get along any better than the Federal vs Provincial now?

Calgary and Edmonton can`t even agree most of the time

DineenJJ

Registered
QUOTE (Torey @ Dec 3 2008, 12:07 AM)
It is common knowledge that political parties in today's fake world must engage in negative branding of opposing parties. If only it was illegal to focus such negative energy on deconstructive government building

Perhaps the conservative party simply needs an older, wiser, more sophisticated leader who doesn't have to die his hair gray and wear make-up to appear old and wise to fear-tactic vulnerable Canadians.

Much agreed, we are being governed by monkeys!

So just throwing this out, who do you think deserves to be Prime Minister

mcgregok

Registered
The new goverment is most likely comming. The question is ,how is it going to affect your Real Estate holdings or other investments? Over the long run the goverment of the day has limited or short term effect on the economy. In 2 or three years supply and demand will pick up and our resorces will be needed. Reguardless of the NDP, oil will be needed and pumped. Cash and good cash flow properties will win the day for investors. In 3 -4 years we willl have a liberal or conservitive goverment and life will move on.

http://www.separationalberta.com/

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (mcgregok @ Dec 3 2008, 06:43 PM) The new goverment is most likely comming. The question is ,how is it going to affect your Real Estate holdings or other investments? Over the long run the goverment of the day has limited or short term effect on the economy. In 2 or three years supply and demand will pick up and our resorces will be needed. Reguardless of the NDP, oil will be needed and pumped. Cash and good cash flow properties will win the day for investors. In 3 -4 years we willl have a liberal or conservitive goverment and life will move on.

http://www.separationalberta.com/
indeed .. expect the budget to go negative, thus a huge deficit, thus more debt required, thus higher interest rates, weaker economy .. thus LOWER real estate values until a right-of-centre government emerges again .. and less oil will be pumped due to less available loans and much less private investment into teh oil business .. expect a 2-4 year slump in the economy and thus real estate values with a left / socialist / separatist government !

show me ANY socialist country in the world with a healthy economy, rising private investment and rising real estate values .. ANY !?!?!?!

mcgregok

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Dec 3 2008, 08:52 PM) expect a 2-4 year slump in the economy and thus real estate values

It might even be good times comming to buy a few starter homes. And don`t forget the ECHO generation comming down the pipe in a few years. Good times ahead! In the mean time collect your rents and high dividend you can get on stocks and have a nice life.

Top Bottom