Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Government to be ousted....

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Nov 30 2008, 08:34 PM)
NEP was in the 80's .. only 20 odd years ago ..

NEP = Raid the west for the benefit of the East & Quebec .. even Barack Obama seems right wing compared to the new coalition government.

A new PM (Dion, oui ?) who can barely speak English .. a disaster for Canada !

A new coalition government means:

a) higher taxes

b) less investment from abroad

c) less internal investment

d) a weaker Can $

e) a continued and deeper recession in Canada

f) a new election once people realize these follies

g) possibly a new majority conservative government once the 3 parties can't agree .. perhaps as early as mid 2009 !

h) newly flamed strong sentiments of separation .. from Quebec and the West .. weakening Canada's overall position and G7 standings ..

i) huge government deficits, thus higher interest rates, thus lower GDP and real estate values !

j) higher gasoline prices thus less disposable income, thus less spending, thus a downward economic spiral

A DISASTER FOR ANYONE PROUD OF A STRONG AND FREE CANADA !!!

Well said!

And by one who CHOSE to be a Canadian.

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Nov 30 2008, 11:23 PM)
We know that the first-developed Provinces of this country funded our early development, and that now it's our turn to help areas of Canada that are not currently as fortunate as we are.

THANK you! I'm pretty sure you're the first Albertan I've ever heard say that (although I knew lots probably felt that way). You don't know how much it bugs me when people forget that aspect, and just focus on this minute right now.

Yet again, I liked reading what you had written. (The rest of your post was fair, and justified...I just cut it out as it didn't make my day as much as this did!)

Have a good one!

JohnS

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (JohnS @ Nov 30 2008, 09:36 PM)
THANK you! I'm pretty sure you're the first Albertan I've ever heard say that (although I knew lots probably felt that way). You don't know how much it bugs me when people forget that aspect, and just focus on this minute right now.

Yet again, I liked reading what you had written. (The rest of your post was fair, and justified...I just cut it out as it didn't make my day as much as this did!)

Have a good one!

JohnS

Re: "We know that the first-developed Provinces of this country funded our early development, and that now it's our turn to help areas of Canada that are not currently as fortunate as we are."

I am truly surprised you have not heard this before. OK, maybe I'm not surprised. After all, you have been hearing what the media has decided to spin to you. Obviously the curtain is far too opaque...

This concept of Alberta's responsibility in Confederation was first (in my recollection) and most eloquently espoused by former Premier Peter Lougheed. And continued by Ralph Klein (perhaps somewhat to the surprise of those who didn't look behind the curtain during his bombastic term as Premier).

mcgregok

Registered
QUOTE (JohnS @ Nov 30 2008, 09:19 PM)
You're ignoring a few things, though, like the fact that people need dollars to speak. Money helps the spread of ideas flow faster. If you don't believe me, go start up your own national paper, or tv network. In today's society, communication costs, and it costs a lot.

JohnS

I don't think the reform party had any goverment financing when it started out. Preston Manning did very well turning the party into the official opposition. They spread ideas by getting out and talking to the people. He should be an inspiration to all parties.

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (mcgregok @ Nov 30 2008, 09:49 PM)
I don't think the reform party had any goverment financing when it started out. Preston Manning did very well turning the party into the official opposition. They spread ideas by getting out and talking to the people. He should be an inspiration to all parties.

Here, here!

Naw, they'll never do it. They'd be obligated to serve the interests of those who vote for them instead of serving the first rule of power - to retain it. All politicians eventually succomb to that most enticing of requirements. Hence that very wise restriction placed on American Presidents - that they can only serve two terms. If only we'd incorporate that into our system. Canada would have at least half a chance of achieving truly great nationhood.

Jack

Registered
QUOTE Contrary to what some believe, most Albertans are ready, willing and proud to contribute our share and more in building a sound economic future for all of Canada.

Sure, but Quebec can leave tomorrow, for all I care.

This all just comes down to the Marxist Liberals & NDPers wanting something for nothing. Their $1.95/vote was essentially free money, and if you break down all the jargon & rhetoric of the last few days, it just means that they`ll need to actually work (*GASP* what a concept!) to build up their party`s coffers.

John, to your point that the Tories don`t lose much because it`s only X% of their revenue, contrasted to the Liberals, where it`s a greater Y%, the question that you should be asking is why is that to begin with? It`s fundraising
. They`re not splitting the atom. They`re not finding a cure for cancer. Their success will be directly related to what they put in to it. It`s like REIN Member "A" whining that he can`t find any JV partners to REIN Member "B" who`s built up his reputation over the years which has given him a solid rolodex. I mean, how much more respect would we all have for the "Coalition" if they would`ve heard the announcement and said "great, this means that taxpayers money can be put to better use elsewhere. We`ll need to brush up on our campaigning skills, and we`ll get started on that tomorrow!" Would`ve sounded good, right? Unfortunately, to make a response like that, the one prerequisite is to have an IQ of greater than 30, which is pushing it for these guys...now, they just sound like whiny, lazy bureaucrats who aren`t willing to put in the work to build up their cash reserves.

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (Jack @ Nov 30 2008, 10:03 PM) Sure, but Quebec can leave tomorrow, for all I care. This all just comes down to the Marxist Liberals & NDPers wanting something for nothing. Their $1.95/vote was essentially free money, and if you break down all the jargon & rhetoric of the last few days, it just means that they`ll need to actually work (*GASP* what a concept!) to build up their party`s coffers.
John, to your point that the Tories don`t lose much because it`s only X% of their revenue, contrasted to the Liberals, where it`s a greater Y%, the question that you should be asking is why is that to begin with? It`s fundraising
. They`re not splitting the atom. They`re not finding a cure for cancer. Their success will be directly related to what they put in to it. It`s like REIN Member "A" whining that he can`t find any JV partners to REIN Member "B" who`s built up his reputation over the years which has given him a solid rolodex. I mean, how much more respect would we all have for the "Coalition" if they would`ve heard the announcement and said "great, this means that taxpayers money can be put to better use elsewhere. We`ll need to brush up on our campaigning skills, and we`ll get started on that tomorrow!" Would`ve sounded good, right? Unfortunately, to make a response like that, the one prerequisite is to have an IQ of greater than 30, which is pushing it for these guys...now, they just sound like whiny, lazy bureaucrats who aren`t willing to put in the work to build up their cash reserves.

That would require them to believe they must earn their stripes and are not entitled
to a position of responsibility
in Canadian politics.

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
[

This part, I`m also ok with, in theory. But it`s the way it was implemented that was meanspirited. As I already said, in an earlier post, that I can see some of the arguments behind doing it, but not in how it was done. The truth of the matter is that the Tories were better at raising smaller amounts from lots of people, whereas the Liberals were better at raising larger amounts from fewer people.

This is because what the Liberals were doing here is unfair. Having few people give large sums does not represent the masses

Actually, I logically CAN say that, when the parties don`t all suffer to the same extent. If I lose a dime, and you lose your life`s savings, you can`t say that we both suffered equally. The Conservatives` would only be losing about a 1/3 of their funding, whereas the other parties would all be losing at least 2/3, I think it was, with the Bloc losing around 80%. Now, if everyone was losing only 1/3, or if everyone was losing 4/5, then I wouldn`t have a problem with it as that would be fair. Or if the Tories had said that in 4 years, after the next election, that is how it would be done, I wouldn`t have a problem with it as that would give people time to get used to the new rules. But to do it with no warning, when your main opponent had been counting on that money to stay out of the hole...well, to my mind, that`s just another example of Harper being a bully.

True...I do agree that one party can suffer more than another but ask yourself WHY do these parties who suffer the most need these public funds? mabey there own members dont want to put the money were there mouth is? do they really beleive in there party? Warning or no warning a party isnt relivent if it cant raise funds. Im having a hard time giving Harper credit to there dimise...thats like saying Toyota is responsible for GM and Ford not keeping up with the times.

I already answered the first part of this - you`re the one that didn`t respond to it. As for the terrorist argument, as inconceivable and ridiculous as it is, they would first have to cross the threshold that was set years ago: I think it`s 5%, but just ask the Greens, as they`ve only been across it for 2 elections, I believe. In the alternate universe you`re talking about, where enough peace-loving Canadians vote for the Canter Party (No, not a party of horse enthusiasts, but the Canadian-Terrorism Party) that they actually do manage to cross the threshold that is needed to qualify then yes, they would get it. Of course, they`d also be in jail for being terrorists, so I doubt they could do much with it.......

And now, back to the real world....

Sure the example is extreme but the question is not. where do you draw the line? Dont you think the Liberals and NDP backroom coalition are trying to silence the voices of canadains...This is NOT what they voted for. now while this may be legal its is VERY VERY undemocratic.

However, you say that a "fair democracy lets the people speak", but in that case you`re also ignoring the fact that Harper didn`t let people speak. He gagged the scientists that worked for the government and wouldn`t let them speak about scientific fact,

Which ones? Im not aware of this

he didn`t want to let the arts community speak,

Are you serious? he gave more to the Arts than the liberals did.. as for not letting them speak...I have never seen anything in the news
about Harper not letting artists speak. Thats quite the claim

So, if you believe in a fair democracy that lets people speak, you shouldn`t be supporting Harper!

Since I beleive in a fair democracy I wont tell you who to support.

but I haven`t seen that much evidence that their mistakes were due to bad intent.

mmm can we say ....sponsorship scandal???

Man...life would be so much easier if I was just Supreme Benevalent Dictator of the Universe.....

I have a feeling you may be the Dictator of the Toronto star newspaper.....
style_emoticons

You definatly keep my on my toes...have a good one as well
Stephen

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (mcgregok @ Nov 30 2008, 11:49 PM) I don`t think the reform party had any goverment financing when it started out. Preston Manning did very well turning the party into the official opposition. They spread ideas by getting out and talking to the people. He should be an inspiration to all parties.

That`s an excellent point. He did do a great job of doing that. However, that still doesn`t negate when I said, "Money helps the spread of ideas flow faster." Is government money, or even money, absolutely necessary? Nope, not absolutely necessary. But does having it help spread the ideas faster? Normally, yes. And in a democracy, I think we should do whatever we can to keep the public more informed, not less informed.

But still, good point. I definitely had to stop and reclarify my thoughts for myself, so thanks!

Have a good one!

JohnS

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Nov 30 2008, 11:45 PM)
Re: "We know that the first-developed Provinces of this country funded our early development, and that now it's our turn to help areas of Canada that are not currently as fortunate as we are."

I am truly surprised you have not heard this before. OK, maybe I'm not surprised. After all, you have been hearing what the media has decided to spin to you. Obviously the curtain is far too opaque...

This concept of Alberta's responsibility in Confederation was first (in my recollection) and most eloquently espoused by former Premier Peter Lougheed. And continued by Ralph Klein (perhaps somewhat to the surprise of those who didn't look behind the curtain during his bombastic term as Premier).

It's like I said, I knew people had to think that way, I just hadn't heard it espoused by an Albertan before. It's always the vocal minority we hear from. It's similar to the whole Quebec situation. I'm surrounded by francophones (I always say that my job is to assimilate the Quebecois, as I teach English as a Second Language to government workers), and I've only ever met a few separatists in my life, and that's including a lot of people that have voted Bloc. But going from the media, it always sounds like they're everywhere.

But I've learned that it's one of the things that is hard to argue. I can talk till I'm blue in the face about what English Canada has done for Quebec, (or what the east has done for the west), but it doesn't have the same impact as having a Quebecer (or a westerner) say the same thing.

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't occasionally try......

And, after you had mentioned it, I do seem to remember Klein saying it too, now that I'm thinking about it. At least, I think it was Klein.

Anyway, have a good one!

JohnS

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (Jack @ Dec 1 2008, 12:03 AM) John, to your point that the Tories don`t lose much because it`s only X% of their revenue, contrasted to the Liberals, where it`s a greater Y%, the question that you should be asking is why is that to begin with? It`s fundraising. They`re not splitting the atom. They`re not finding a cure for cancer. Their success will be directly related to what they put in to it. It`s like REIN Member "A" whining that he can`t find any JV partners to REIN Member "B" who`s built up his reputation over the years which has given him a solid rolodex. I mean, how much more respect would we all have for the "Coalition" if they would`ve heard the announcement and said "great, this means that taxpayers money can be put to better use elsewhere. We`ll need to brush up on our campaigning skills, and we`ll get started on that tomorrow!" Would`ve sounded good, right? Unfortunately, to make a response like that, the one prerequisite is to have an IQ of greater than 30, which is pushing it for these guys...now, they just sound like whiny, lazy bureaucrats who aren`t willing to put in the work to build up their cash reserves.

I understand what you mean, Jack, and to a certain extent I agree with it. The other parties do need to get better at raising funds in this way, and I`m pretty sure I`ve stated that before. My biggest complaint has never been about the idea of changing methods, but rather in the way that the Conservatives went about doing it. And nobody has even attempted to argue that the way they did it was appropriate. Everyone in on this has just stated that it should be done, and it sucks to be the Liberals, but nobody besides me has looked at the way it was done.

I believe that most people here, no matter where you fall on the political spectrum, would at least agree that this would be a fairly significant piece of campaign finance reform. Now, if only there had been a time in the last few months when the Canadian populace was paying particular attention to politics....a time when this could have been announced....a time where it would have been particularly relevant....like, the election,
per chance? Maybe, just maybe, this would have been appropriate then?

And as to your thoughts, Jack, on what the politicians could have said....yes, in some ways that would have been nice to hear. However, I think that focussing on the economy is a better use of their time at this particular moment. Kinda makes you wonder why Harper chose now to do it.....

As I mentioned somewhere, I do admire Harper`s intellect. I think he`s played this very smart, in a cold, calculating, less than honourable way. After reading people`s posts here and elsewhere, and thinking about it a fair amount, I`m assuming he set everything up so that he would get a win either way in the longer term. If this $2 a vote thing got cancelled successfully, then he`d be ahead as all the other parties would be way, way behind financially. If it led to another election immediately, he`d probably still be ahead, as the economy is an even greater worry now than it was two months ago, and his main opposition is pretty much leaderless. And if it led to a coalition government, then the other parties would get control at a low point in the economy, letting him pretty much wash his hands of the problems, and then swoop in in about 6 months to a year in another election and win a majority (especially as the other parties would have been too busy to both govern efficiently and position themselves/raise funds efficiently.)

Pretty smart....but still not a man I admire.

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

mcgregok

Registered
QUOTE (JohnS @ Nov 30 2008, 11:12 PM)
I understand what you mean, Jack, and to a certain extent I agree with it. The other parties do need to get better at raising funds in this way, and I'm pretty sure I've stated that before. My biggest complaint has never been about the idea of changing methods, but rather in the way that the Conservatives went about doing it. And nobody has even attempted to argue that the way they did it was appropriate. Everyone in on this has just stated that it should be done, and it sucks to be the Liberals, but nobody besides me has looked at the way it was done.

I believe that most people here, no matter where you fall on the political spectrum, would at least agree that this would be a fairly significant piece of campaign finance reform. Now, if only there had been a time in the last few months when the Canadian populace was paying particular attention to politics....a time when this could have been announced....a time where it would have been particularly relevant....like, the election, per chance? Maybe, just maybe, this would have been appropriate then?

And as to your thoughts, Jack, on what the politicians could have said....yes, in some ways that would have been nice to hear. However, I think that focussing on the economy is a better use of their time at this particular moment. Kinda makes you wonder why Harper chose now to do it.....

As I mentioned somewhere, I do admire Harper's intellect. I think he's played this very smart, in a cold, calculating, less than honourable way. After reading people's posts here and elsewhere, and thinking about it a fair amount, I'm assuming he set everything up so that he would get a win either way in the longer term. If this $2 a vote thing got cancelled successfully, then he'd be ahead as all the other parties would be way, way behind financially. If it led to another election immediately, he'd probably still be ahead, as the economy is an even greater worry now than it was two months ago, and his main opposition is pretty much leaderless. And if it led to a coalition government, then the other parties would get control at a low point in the economy, letting him pretty much wash his hands of the problems, and then swoop in in about 6 months to a year in another election and win a majority (especially as the other parties would have been too busy to both govern efficiently and position themselves/raise funds efficiently.)

Pretty smart....but still not a man I admire.

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

We will find out tomorrow who started what. The last news I heard was that the NDP and the Block already decided last week to vote against Harper reguardless of what the inroduced. Layton is caught on tape laughing about it. I would think that the consevitives got wind of the plan and added the election cash issue to the table so they would have a campain issue if they are brought down on monday.

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (stephen @ Dec 1 2008, 12:29 AM)
This is because what the Liberals were doing here is unfair. Having few people give large sums does not represent the masses

The cap under the Liberals was only $5 000, I believe, not $50 000 or $100 000. It wasn't an insanely high amount. But that aside, (again!) I don't have a problem with their dropping the maximum amount, but rather with how they did it.

True...I do agree that one party can suffer more than another but ask yourself WHY do these parties who suffer the most need these public funds? mabey there own members dont want to put the money were there mouth is? do they really beleive in there party? Warning or no warning a party isnt relivent if it cant raise funds. Im having a hard time giving Harper credit to there dimise...thats like saying Toyota is responsible for GM and Ford not keeping up with the times.

Or, maybe, just maybe, the Liberals had a different focus when they were raising funds: A focus that the Conservatives made illegal. And it's not the Liberals can't raise funds. They did so very well - until the Conservatives changed the rules once, and tried to do it again. That's where your car analogy falls apart. Toyota didn't make it illegal for GM and Ford to do what they had been doing, but the Conservatives did.

Sure the example is extreme but the question is not. where do you draw the line? Dont you think the Liberals and NDP backroom coalition are trying to silence the voices of canadains...This is NOT what they voted for. now while this may be legal its is VERY VERY undemocratic.

I don't have to draw the line....it's already been drawn. To qualify to get that money, I'm pretty sure your party has to make it past a certain threshold, 5%, I believe. The Greens didn't make it for a bit, but then they did. So, it would be the same with any new party. They would have to cross the accepted threshold. To cross that threshold, you therefore have to get a lot of people to agree with the majority of your ideas, and if you have that many supporters, no matter how fringe your ideas are, other people deserve to hear them and either agree or disagree.

As for it being undemocratic, you have to remember that technically, Canada isn't a democracy, but rather it's a representative democracy. We don't vote on every issue, but rather for people to represent us on different issues. I can just as easily argue that a coalition would be more democratic, as the 63% of the population who didn't vote for Harper are now better represented. After all, a political party is just a group of people with some ideas in common who come together to put their ideas into effect. A coalition is just a larger group of people with some ideas in common who come together to put their ideas into effect. Now, is there a problem with a political system that lets one party win a majority of seats with only about 40% of the population supporting it? I'd say there is, no matter which party gets elected, but that's another debate.

And further to this notion of it being undemocratic, Harper himself petitioned the Governor-General back in 2004 to be allowed to form a coalition government, so if it wasn't too undemocratic for him, why is it too undemocratic for the other parties? It's obviously not, but he's just hoping that everyone forgets he tried to do the same thing: hence his continuing lies.

However, you say that a "fair democracy lets the people speak", but in that case you're also ignoring the fact that Harper didn't let people speak. He gagged the scientists that worked for the government and wouldn't let them speak about scientific fact,

Which ones? Im not aware of this

he didn't want to let the arts community speak,

Are you serious? he gave more to the Arts than the liberals did.. as for not letting them speak...I have never seen anything in the news

about Harper not letting artists speak. Thats quite the claim

Maybe the scientist thing didn't hit the papers out there, but it was really big in Ottawa about.....8 months ago? Probably a bit more. Unfortunately, I don't remember all the details, as I wasn't expecting to debate it months later, but I believe the first real release of it was with Environment Canada. Some scientists were muzzled, and couldn't answer reporters' questions on scientific questions (ie not policy ones) because the policies weren't based on science. The questions had to be redirected to government spokesmen. It then blew up into a fairly big thing as it turned out that this was fairly widespread - all under Harper's quest for a 'unified' message.

As for the artists, I didn't mean to imply that he tied the gag around their mouths with his own hands. However, he cut funding for the arts many times, and ridiculed artists, so that people would be less likely to listen to them. (As examples, there was that whole gala remark, and when he cut programs, he mentioned the ludicrous expenditures, and ignored the reasonable ones that were many, many times larger than the stupid ones. As in, the band with the messed up name was only getting a few thousand from that program, but there was an internationally reknowned orchestra getting, I believe, around $150 000, but he focussed on the minor ones. If he had a problem with the minor ones, why not just strengthen the guidelines on the applications, as opposed to cutting the whole program?)

And it's actually not true to say that he gave more money to the arts. In fact, he lumped in arts and culture, and increased money to that new mixture, but the lion's share went to the non-arts component (like the Vancouver Olympics). This way, he was able to decrease the funding of the arts while maintaining the illusion that he was giving more.

So, if you believe in a fair democracy that lets people speak, you shouldn't be supporting Harper!

Since I beleive in a fair democracy I wont tell you who to support.

Fair enough. Especially seeing as how I didn't tell you who to support either.

but I haven't seen that much evidence that their mistakes were due to bad intent.

mmm can we say ....sponsorship scandal???

Yep, you're right. That is definitely a blemish on their record, and a big one at that. That's why I said "that much evidence". However, I do think that it has been overblown a lot, too, for a few different reasons.

1) Looking at the amount of money that was spent, it's actually not that big, percentage-wise. It was still wrong, absolutely, but when compared to the government's overall expenses...

2) I don't believe that any of the heads of the party now, or with the last election, were that involved with it. I don't think it's fair to hold them accountable for things that they weren't involved with. Are some of the senior members of the party still around, that were involved? Probably, but they're not the heads, and that's more important, I think. My biggest problems with the Conservatives aren't with the Conservatives, but rather with Harper. As I've stated in a few different places on this forum, I do hold some very conservative ideas. But Harper is the biggest reason why I won't vote Conservative. If he was replaced, then I would seriously look at them again.

And if you comb through a bunch of my posts here, you'll see that the main problem I have has been with Harper and his policies. Granted, I do have some problems with Conservative ideals in general, but the main problem is with Harper. And I'm not the only one - even Conservative supporters on this site have complained about Harper.

Now, I'm assuming that a lot of readers in here have drawn the conclusion that I'm a huge Liberal supporter, and always have been, but that's not the case at all. Federally, this past election was the first time I'd voted Liberal in a long time (maybe ever, but I'm not sure). I've been saying for years that I'm interested in political and social issues, but not in politics, as I don't like the way politicians act. Over the last year, I'd say, I've gotten much more interested in politics as a whole, especially in the last 6 months. And a lot of that comes from reading the paper, and smacking myself on the forehead, saying, "How could Harper do that!"

Am I prejudiced against him? Yep, definitely. I know it, and I try to keep it check. I go on the basic assumption that everyone has biases, and it's better if you just admit it, as then you can try to take it into account when making decisions. So I do try to give him the benefit of the doubt....but he's making it very hard for me to do so.....

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (mcgregok @ Dec 1 2008, 01:20 AM)
The last news I heard was that the NDP and the Block already decided last week to vote against Harper reguardless of what the inroduced.

And, lastly, just for the record....I'm against that too. Especially in times like these, we need politicians of all stripes to pull together. Vote something down if you disagree with that proposal and if it's that important to you, but at least examine the proposal.

Man, it's a tough life, being an idealist. Maybe I should rent Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, or some such film....

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

GarthChapman

Registered
I think that most would agree that our Prime Minister`s move on the funding of political parties issue at this time was both opportunistic and ill-advised. But let`s also recognize that the governing party has a great advantage in this ill-advised system of tax support, as the amount of that support is determined by number of votes achieved in the last election - at $1.95 per vote. So Harper`s move, while it would certainly damage the opposition parties in the short term, it would also do more damage to his own party`s efforts to be re-elected next time around. It is completely un-democratic to creat a system whereby the incombent party has the cards stacked in its favour. And I for one have had my fill of that game.

If we are to take to its logical conclusion the concept that our political parties should be funded by taxpayers, regardless of their raison d’être, then if Hamas or the Tamil Tigers established political wings in Canada, should they then also be entitled to the support, no matter how little the amount, of our tax dollars? Just how inclusive and giving should we be? How far should we go in allowing the support of those who would subvert our national interests, or those of any of the peoples who make up Canada? It is a slippery slope down that road. I`m no fan of Jean Chretien, but it was he who set out to remove support of special interest groups to our political parties. So let`s recognize that same concept should also apply to the Bloc. So if it is not acceptable to fund a Party not a friend of Canada with tax dollars, then by extension we cannot allow those tax dollars to support any party. To do otherwise would be to be choosing the winners and losers beforehand. The only sane method is to let individual Canadians to choose who to support. That is the essence of democracy, along with the universal right to vote.

We are not hearing of complaints from Americans that Barack Obama raised his election war chest from the grassroots and declined to take the tax dollars offered to him. What that did was to further legitimize his election. And that too is a fine example of democracy in action. The people voted with their money to support their candidate, and then they voted at the polls to elect him. And in doing that Obama and American citizens changed the democratic process in America for the better. Why cannot we have the same right and the same freedom to financially support and then to vote for those who would offer to govern us?

And why do we not have the same maturity and spirit of coming together that our American cousins do when they elect a President. Once the deed is done they get behind him and get on with the business of meeting their challenges and their opportunities, and most especially so when their nation is facing great challenges. America, love her or hate her, will rise again from the ashes of her self-inflicted miseries. She continues to grow and evolve to a better more perfect union. And we, once again, will endure the petty and irresponsible arguements and power grabs of our elected ones, one and all. While we continue our march to a less perfect union.

I am an overtly proud Canadian, but one who is increasingly frustrated by our unwillingness to reach for something higher, to be more than we are, more than the sum of our numbers. And while we fiddle and fuss over inanities, we lose our future. It seems such a shame that far too often our best and brightest emigrate in to the USA, and we do so in the millions. The last great wave occurred when we destroyed our once world leading aerospace industry in the early 1960`s. Even then there were over 1 million Canadian expatriats living and working in California. This from our nation of only 25 million citizens then. We drive our own away by our lack of courage to finish our job of nation building. Think of what we have lost by not having the benefit of their skills and labours.

So after we wake up and recognize our failure to live up to our potential to be to be the best example of what a nation and a people should be, let`s have the courage to demand that our politicians offer their service to Canada, and to her service first and above all else.

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
[quote name=`JohnS` date=`Dec 1 2008, 01:17 AM` post=`43775`]
The cap under the Liberals was only $5 000, I believe, not $50 000 or $100 000. It wasn`t an insanely high amount. But that aside, (again!) I don`t have a problem with their dropping the maximum amount, but rather with how they did it.

How did they do it?...how does any politician change the rules....they just change the rules

Or, maybe, just maybe, the Liberals had a different focus when they were raising funds: A focus that the Conservatives made illegal. And it`s not the Liberals can`t raise funds. They did so very well - until the Conservatives changed the rules once, and tried to do it again. That`s where your car analogy falls apart. Toyota didn`t make it illegal for GM and Ford to do what they had been doing, but the Conservatives did.

Lets get real, its not about the method of fundraising...all methods that are legal are available to all parties...The car analogy does not fall apart. Changing rules about amounts of money donated does not make a party or its ideologies obsolete...but good try

I can just as easily argue that a coalition would be more democratic, as the 63% of the population who didn`t vote for Harper are now better represented. .

mmm NDP supporters who would never vote Liberal and vice versa better represented? Another good try! not only that....there is talk of getting support of the bloc by giving more money to Quebec!!! Im sure this is in the voting interest of 63% of canada
style_emoticons
The blunders of harper are but a wisper in the wind to this Typhoon of theiving oposition leaders "bambooziling` Canadians of there vote

And further to this notion of it being undemocratic, Harper himself petitioned the Governor-General back in 2004 to be allowed to form a coalition government, so if it wasn`t too undemocratic for him, why is it too undemocratic for the other parties? It`s obviously not, but he`s just hoping that everyone forgets he tried to do the same thing: hence his continuing lies.

Harpers coalition was not done after 6 weeks after a federal election literaly STEAL the power with out Canadians vote. (this is a very poor example and does not support your arguement)

However, he cut funding for the arts many times, and ridiculed artists, so that people would be less likely to listen to them. (As examples, there was that whole gala remark, and when he cut programs, he mentioned the ludicrous expenditures, and ignored the reasonable ones that were many, many times larger than the stupid ones. And it`s actually not true to say that he gave more money to the arts. In fact, he lumped in arts and culture, and increased money to that new mixture, but the lion`s share went to the non-arts component (like the Vancouver Olympics). This way, he was able to decrease the funding of the arts while maintaining the illusion that he was giving more.

There is lots of arts and culture in canada...you make Harper sound like the Taliban. I personally dont think Stephen Harper is againsed arts or artists if this were the case we would be living in a Police State...if you look around this is not the republic of China. Every politican makes a blunder im sure they regret. A tempest in a tea cup.

Fair enough. Especially seeing as how I didn`t tell you who to support either.

Although you did tell me who not to support.

Yep, you`re right. That is definitely a blemish on their record, and a big one at that. That`s why I said "that much evidence".

That much??? well I can direct you to a wesite that will list you the countless scandals that tarnish the liberal party...This isnt pretty and its only for 2005 Yeeeesh http://conservativereporter.wordpress.com/...als-re-visited/

And a lot of that comes from reading the paper, and smacking myself on the forehead, saying, "How could Harper do that!"

That is the problem...The east is very Liberal and so is the media. I can understand that they will spin everything he does in a negative light. Remember you have to "Look behind the curtain"

Am I prejudiced against him? Yep, definitely. I know it, and I try to keep it check. I go on the basic assumption that everyone has biases, and it`s better if you just admit it, as then you can try to take it into account when making decisions. So I do try to give him the benefit of the doubt....but he`s making it very hard for me to do so.....

Just remember...when you want to get negative about Harper he has
Lowered taxes, This includes YOUR taxes, Taken on crime...Somthing that the Liberal HUG A THUG approach couldnt do. Artic sovereighnty, Accountabilty, Child care allowance....and the list goes on. These are all things that the Liberals failed to do. The Liberals may be popular in the east but my biggest complaint is that they have a deaf ear to the west.

Stephen

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (stephen @ Dec 1 2008, 03:19 AM)
The cap under the Liberals was only $5 000, I believe, not $50 000 or $100 000. It wasn't an insanely high amount. But that aside, (again!) I don't have a problem with their dropping the maximum amount, but rather with how they did it.

How did they do it?...how does any politician change the rules....they just change the rules

Or, maybe, just maybe, the Liberals had a different focus when they were raising funds: A focus that the Conservatives made illegal. And it's not the Liberals can't raise funds. They did so very well - until the Conservatives changed the rules once, and tried to do it again. That's where your car analogy falls apart. Toyota didn't make it illegal for GM and Ford to do what they had been doing, but the Conservatives did.

Lets get real, its not about the method of fundraising...all methods that are legal are available to all parties...The car analogy does not fall apart. Changing rules about amounts of money donated does not make a party or its ideologies obsolete...but good try

I can just as easily argue that a coalition would be more democratic, as the 63% of the population who didn't vote for Harper are now better represented. .

mmm NDP supporters who would never vote Liberal and vice versa better represented? Another good try! not only that....there is talk of getting support of the bloc by giving more money to Quebec!!! Im sure this is in the voting interest of 63% of canada
<
The blunders of harper are but a wisper in the wind to this Typhoon of theiving oposition leaders "bambooziling' Canadians of there vote

And further to this notion of it being undemocratic, Harper himself petitioned the Governor-General back in 2004 to be allowed to form a coalition government, so if it wasn't too undemocratic for him, why is it too undemocratic for the other parties? It's obviously not, but he's just hoping that everyone forgets he tried to do the same thing: hence his continuing lies.

Harpers coalition was not done after 6 weeks after a federal election literaly STEAL the power with out Canadians vote. (this is a very poor example and does not support your arguement)

However, he cut funding for the arts many times, and ridiculed artists, so that people would be less likely to listen to them. (As examples, there was that whole gala remark, and when he cut programs, he mentioned the ludicrous expenditures, and ignored the reasonable ones that were many, many times larger than the stupid ones. And it's actually not true to say that he gave more money to the arts. In fact, he lumped in arts and culture, and increased money to that new mixture, but the lion's share went to the non-arts component (like the Vancouver Olympics). This way, he was able to decrease the funding of the arts while maintaining the illusion that he was giving more.

There is lots of arts and culture in canada...you make Harper sound like the Taliban. I personally dont think Stephen Harper is againsed arts or artists if this were the case we would be living in a Police State...if you look around this is not the republic of China. Every politican makes a blunder im sure they regret. A tempest in a tea cup.

Fair enough. Especially seeing as how I didn't tell you who to support either.

Although you did tell me who not to support.

Yep, you're right. That is definitely a blemish on their record, and a big one at that. That's why I said "that much evidence".

That much??? well I can direct you to a wesite that will list you the countless scandals that tarnish the liberal party...This isnt pretty and its only for 2005 Yeeeesh http://conservativereporter.wordpress.com/...als-re-visited/

And a lot of that comes from reading the paper, and smacking myself on the forehead, saying, "How could Harper do that!"

That is the problem...The east is very Liberal and so is the media. I can understand that they will spin everything he does in a negative light. Remember you have to "Look behind the curtain"

Am I prejudiced against him? Yep, definitely. I know it, and I try to keep it check. I go on the basic assumption that everyone has biases, and it's better if you just admit it, as then you can try to take it into account when making decisions. So I do try to give him the benefit of the doubt....but he's making it very hard for me to do so.....

Lowered taxes, This includes YOUR taxes, Taken on crime...Somthing that the Liberal HUG A THUG approach couldnt do. Artic sovereighnty, Accountabilty, Child care allowance....and the list goes on. These are all things that the Liberals failed to do. The Liberals may be popular in the east but my biggest complaint is that they have a deaf ear to the west.

Stephen

I'm sorry, Stephen, but I can't continue this now, for a few reasons.

1) Partly because you really haven't countered many of my points (just saying "nice try" or stating "it doesn't fall apart" doesn't count as constructive argumentation in my books, or in any books I'm aware of, and that's probably at least a third of what you wrote, if not half. I tried to answer all of your, and others' points, in a logical, cohesive, all-encompassing manner, and I'm sure I wrote more than people wanted to read in some areas, but I was trying to adequately cover everything.)

2) Honestly, I have a hard time actually deciphering your points - just ask Thomas about me and grammar, spelling, etc.

3) It's a lot later here than it is there, and I have to get up to go assimilate the French in a few hours, so I should try to get at least a bit of sleep before then.

Anyway, it's been fun, all.

Have a good one!

JohnS

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (stephen @ Dec 1 2008, 03:19 AM)

Stephen

OK, I tried to leave, but I had to come back. I thought part of this was pretty funny, actually. First, you admonished me for not looking behind the curtain, and then you talked about Harper taking on crime. If that isn't funny, I don't know what is!

Crime isn't a serious problem in Canada. We live in one of the safest countries in the world, and the vast majority of our crime rates have been trending downward pretty steadily for decades. The only reason crime is an issue at all is because politicians and the media play it up as being something bad and getting worse. But the most rudimentary look at the stats shows this isn't the case.

And, even if crime was a serious problem in Canada, Harper is approaching it the wrong way. His policies are strictly ideologically driven, with no thought or care given to the facts. All of the experts I've heard of, and all of the studies I've seen except one say that "Tough on Crime" policies, like his, don't work. They don't work for a variety of reasons, but the experts all pretty much unanimously agree that he's going about it the exact wrong way. Even the Supreme Court judge, on whose works Harper based most of his current policies, said that Harper was wrong, and was going way, way too far with it.

Man...talk about irony.

But now that that's off my chest, I can go back to bed.

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

ZanderRobertson

Registered
you have no idea how much us periphery people love this. would you be surprised to hear it happens quite regularly?

QUOTE (JohnS @ Nov 30 2008, 10:47 PM)
It's like I said, I knew people had to think that way, I just hadn't heard it espoused by an Albertan before. It's always the vocal minority we hear from. It's similar to the whole Quebec situation. I'm surrounded by francophones (I always say that my job is to assimilate the Quebecois, as I teach English as a Second Language to government workers), and I've only ever met a few separatists in my life, and that's including a lot of people that have voted Bloc. But going from the media, it always sounds like they're everywhere.

But I've learned that it's one of the things that is hard to argue. I can talk till I'm blue in the face about what English Canada has done for Quebec, (or what the east has done for the west), but it doesn't have the same impact as having a Quebecer (or a westerner) say the same thing.

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't occasionally try......

And, after you had mentioned it, I do seem to remember Klein saying it too, now that I'm thinking about it. At least, I think it was Klein.

Anyway, have a good one!

JohnS

Jay

Registered
Wow that was quite the post for a real estate chat site...I can see the frustration as some feel their party may have have been disadvantaged but regardless of the reasoning or spirit this change was made is it not better for a democracy if individuals are limited to the amount of money they can contribute? Is the preferred system not one were the wealthy person/ corporation`s vote/influence carries the same weight as the pauper. In my personal opinion any system that requires more donors vs. less to be successfully should result in a decrease in an one individuals ability to call in favors after an election.
In the final analysis, any money not in the hands of the politicians whom seem to be constantly looking more at re-election and less at what is in the best interest of all Canadians can`t be all bad.

Top Bottom