Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Edmonton Property Management. Who Sucks and Who Rocks?

nepoez

Registered
I've had inquiries on the online tracking tool for over 3 months and no body even looked at it.

I don't even go on their online site for queires anymore, I just use email or phone. But the site is great for tracking all the events and bills etc.

QUOTE (jamurphy @ Aug 7 2009, 08:09 AM)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanted to pass on the improvements I've seen since this e-mail back in May.

Since then, Libertas have implemented a number of changes that have had a significant effect.

I get visibility to all aspects of the status of my accounts on line (good accurate data)....and the few queries that I do have are answered in full, and in good time.

My involvement now is bare minimum........just how I like it - gives me time to focus on what I should be......enjoying the summer!! .

Dray

Registered
Esquire Management Group - I once worked as an on-site property manager for them and I would never do so again! The tenants they allowed were very questionable, hired unlicensed people to work on repairs where one would need to be a tradesmen, treated tenants very poorly, and of course Michael McNeil himself as a questionable ethics code and I personally know he has violated them (as does my lawyer). I would suggest not using Esquire Management Group.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (gturner @ Aug 11 2009, 07:45 PM) I have heard of York West Asset Management Corp. Does anyone have any experiences with them?

I rented once office space from them. They were great. I had signed a 3 year lease but due to a change of business conditions (yes another oil and gas price bust) and other opportunities I decided I wanted out of the lease. They were very understanding and helped find someone to take over the lease within a month.

This was 10 years ago.

Hope this helps

Godfried

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
Earlier in this thread I recommended RPM Rentals.

Unfortunately, I now feel I have to retract that recommendation. Just 6 months or so into the contract, the contract was cancelled last month for lack of performance.

I still have unresolved questions, but, now that I am no longer a client, RPM seems to have washed its hands of me. In spite of repeated calls and emails for answers, I get no replies. This is just adding to my irritation.

I can no longer recommend RPM Rentals.

schierau1

REIN Member
QUOTE (Dan_Eisenhauer @ Feb 6 2010, 08:57 PM) AN UPDATE:

RPM has answered my questions to my satisfaction.

I switched from Kirkside to RPM in the fall of 09. Kirkside is just as every post has described, incompetant, full of exuses, lack of communication, have to chase down Carolyn to get partial answers... I lost money using them. They even took a tenant (in a lease) over to another property when I told them I was switching to RPM and they would not cooperate with collecting rents due under the lease.

I met Kap from RPM at the BC REIN meetings and quite liked him and what he had to say about their approach and philosphies, and my partners had good things to say about his partner Rod, so we contracted them. In the first couple of months I saw turn over of two PM`s, but have had the third one for at least 6 months. The key element I communicated to Kap I was looking for was solid communication and quick responsiveness (due to my previous frustrations with Kirkside - once bitten twice shy). I think the issues they were having with the turnover in PMs resulted in the opposite effect and I felt some frustration returning. They use an online system to communicate, similar to the one described in the posts for Libertas, this works well when the staff are on top of it daily. In late December Kap contacted me to discuss concerns and we ended up agreeing to work together (me to chill out a bit and them to work on communication), and till about March all had been great...the new person they had managing my properties (who had been their leasing mgr) was extremely communicative, calling me daily with updates and making recommendations, meeting me when I went to Edmonton to walk me through the units (a couple of which were thrashed by the continued Kirkside tenants who we are now evicting)..but suddenly for the last couple of months the manager has been less responsive and it takes me several days to a week and multiple messages (both phone and through the portal) to get a hold of her for updates. I have a unit that has been vacant for the last two months and discovered it seems to not be advertised (last week I asked for them to point me to any marketing which I have not heard back on yet), but my unit is not on their website and couldn`t find it on some of the big sights... I am wondering if it is an oversight? I asked the PM for info on the numbers of showings (just sent that note in my portal tonight in follow up to my earlier phone message). I am sure Kap and or Rod will read this post and I do hope we can work together to turn this back around and make improvements.
I think you guys have the potential to be great and I hope I can report back that you have responded positively and are making improvements.

PropertySolution

Registered
This is a great and informative thread for both owners and management companies. I find it is enlightening on what owners are experiencing out there. These stories have me checking and considering how I address related issues as well as how I can avoid the negative ones with my clients.

All Property Management companies have pros and cons. Finding the right one that suits your needs is a matter of weeding through the many options out there. Listening and taking into consideration threads like this one is a great starting point.

don`t stop now!

justpayme

Registered
QUOTE (Ian @ Feb 2 2009, 12:51 PM) Kirkside--suck absolutely 100%--they completely lack integtrity and honesty--if you want to have your units vacant for four or five months and then have Caroline ok tenants who destroy your units and then bolt in the middle of the night then KIRKISIDE is the PM company for you.

Kirkside - is the worst property management company i have ever dealt with- hopefully you read this and don`t use this company.
  • we have been charged for work that was never completed
  • charged for cleaning the building that was not done
  • use poor contractors for work which now has to be redone
  • reports are poordoes not care what the building looks like or care about the tenantssent in the plumbers for emergency calls on weekends for a leaky faucitcaused thousands of dollars damage to the building for work not being doneonly collected half the rents and didn`t have an answer why- didn`t care either
so if you looking for a property management company- do not use kirkside!!!!!!!

Klo

Registered
I have to disagree with most on here in regards to Libertas Property Management. I am extremely dissatisified. My property has been sitting vacant for 4 months now and the excuse I got from Carolyn (manager) was "tenants are typically looking for 3 bds, 2baths and a basement." Is EVERYONE in Edmonton looking for a 3 bedroom?? really??

Communication is also horrible. I appreciate the set up they have on their website but when I leave a message, it either gets unanswered or I will receive a reply after sending the same message multiple times. I guess thats typical with PM`s. Which is unfortunate.

I have tried contacting Tyler but again, no answer. I want to give Libertas a chance since Ive read great reviews but im left fustrated and unhappy.

schierau1

REIN Member
QUOTE (schierau1 @ May 25 2010, 11:19 PM)
I switched from Kirkside to RPM in the fall of 09. Kirkside is just as every post has described, incompetant, full of exuses, lack of communication, have to chase down Carolyn to get partial answers... I lost money using them. They even took a tenant (in a lease) over to another property when I told them I was switching to RPM and they would not cooperate with collecting rents due under the lease.

I met Kap from RPM at the BC REIN meetings and quite liked him and what he had to say about their approach and philosphies, and my partners had good things to say about his partner Rod, so we contracted them. In the first couple of months I saw turn over of two PM's, but have had the third one for at least 6 months. The key element I communicated to Kap I was looking for was solid communication and quick responsiveness (due to my previous frustrations with Kirkside - once bitten twice shy). I think the issues they were having with the turnover in PMs resulted in the opposite effect and I felt some frustration returning. They use an online system to communicate, similar to the one described in the posts for Libertas, this works well when the staff are on top of it daily. In late December Kap contacted me to discuss concerns and we ended up agreeing to work together (me to chill out a bit and them to work on communication), and till about March all had been great...the new person they had managing my properties (who had been their leasing mgr) was extremely communicative, calling me daily with updates and making recommendations, meeting me when I went to Edmonton to walk me through the units (a couple of which were thrashed by the continued Kirkside tenants who we are now evicting)..but suddenly for the last couple of months the manager has been less responsive and it takes me several days to a week and multiple messages (both phone and through the portal) to get a hold of her for updates. I have a unit that has been vacant for the last two months and discovered it seems to not be advertised (last week I asked for them to point me to any marketing which I have not heard back on yet), but my unit is not on their website and couldn't find it on some of the big sights... I am wondering if it is an oversight? I asked the PM for info on the numbers of showings (just sent that note in my portal tonight in follow up to my earlier phone message). I am sure Kap and or Rod will read this post and I do hope we can work together to turn this back around and make improvements.

I think you guys have the potential to be great and I hope I can report back that you have responded positively and are making improvements.

Further update to this, I have since moved over my properties to A La Carte and Jared and his team have thus far exceeded my expectations...RPM had one of my properties vacant for 3 months and another came up in that time and was vacant 6 weeks before I switched to A La Carte...RPM kept saying to lower my price... Jared came in and raised the price of one unit by $92/m and rented it in 10 days (the one that was vacant 3 months)...the other unit was rented in 7 days and stopped the bleeding. In the same time, yet a another RPM property manager left and Kap has since stepped in to try and stabilize the business. Not sure where they are at now, but I can say that Bernie from Property Solutions was correct in another post, you have to find what works for you... A La Carte, so far, has been night and day and gets things done.. They are currently completing the reno on a third property I handed to them where the tenants ended up being a disaster (a legacy from Kirkside) and trashed the flooring and walls... RPM suggested I deal with the Eviction process myself through Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (which I am glad I did for the experience, not fun but great to know) and Jared at A La Carte was there for me through the process to answer questions and guide me on the process and he and his team took on the steps to get the tenant out once I won the judgement and now they are completing the reno to get it marketed again.

schierau1

REIN Member
QUOTE (Klo @ Sep 14 2010, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to disagree with most on here in regards to Libertas Property Management. I am extremely dissatisified. My property has been sitting vacant for 4 months now and the excuse I got from Carolyn (manager) was "tenants are typically looking for 3 bds, 2baths and a basement." Is EVERYONE in Edmonton looking for a 3 bedroom?? really??

Communication is also horrible. I appreciate the set up they have on their website but when I leave a message, it either gets unanswered or I will receive a reply after sending the same message multiple times. I guess thats typical with PM's. Which is unfortunate.

I have tried contacting Tyler but again, no answer. I want to give Libertas a chance since Ive read great reviews but im left fustrated and unhappy.

tazman

Registered
has anyone dealt with Miligan realty?

He wants 10% right off the top but im not sure if that is expensive your not.

andy taschuk

"I am a rookie -but i like to get my feet wet"

Last edited by a moderator:

darcy

REIN Member
QUOTE (EdWhittingham @ Feb 5 2009, 08:55 AM) I highly recommend Libertas Property Management. Very professional, responsive, and well praised by tenants, owners and condo associations (as I`ve discovered through my own experiences and through due diligence checks). Tyler and his crew work very hard on our behalf, and I`m pleased to have them represent me. A new web-based system will enable owners to access property-specific info on demand - I`m looking forward to it.

Avoid Don King and Realty Canada!
As per a previous post, he is difficult to reach by both tenants and owners, and attracts very challenging tenants. He too cost me a lot of money by being MIA.

Ed Whittingham

I had a different experience with Libertas Calgary branch. Long and short they actually closed the Calgary branch do to poor management. So if the Edmonton brach is doing a good job...well that is nice to here, but I would be hesitant to ever trust them again.

champs

Registered
I really wish I found this forum before. I am also an unhappy client of Kirkside. Repeated inquiries via phone, voicemail and even email go unanswered. There is zero transparency and as an owner I feel completely in the dark.
Poor communication, poor tenants, not getting the full amount of rent each month according to the contract, hiring contractors at inflated prices, the list goes on.

mreilly

Registered
I found this thread because i google my current property management company. Helm Property.

Laura Blakie the lady their is running her business into the ground. You get no reply`s, and when she does she lies to you when you ask her why she doesnt reply ever saying that she has. She does everything she can to do the bare minimal. Do not use these guys ever unless you want a big headache. I know others from back in 2009 were complaining about this company as well in this same thread. Fast forward 12 months and its more of the same.

rescuerealty

Registered
Absolutely would NOT recommend Libertas. They cost us THOUSANDS of dollars of lost rent and collections on delinquent tenants (that they screened and put in the properties) in their one year stint of managing our units. Horrible management and follow through. We had units sit vacant for months with the comment "lower the rent" as the only creative way of getting them rented (one unit sat vacant for 6 MONTHS!). There are many other members in Calgary that have had similar or WORSE experiences with them (this is why they no longer operate in Calgary).

Don Grey of Terra Realty. Again, terrible experience. Stay away from this one.

Davies Management. I tried for 6 days to get a call back or an email from Jason Dolynny without any success (after repeated calls, voicemails, and emails). If this is how they treat owners, how will they treat tenants? Very unprofessional IMHO.

Todd Wyatt
Platinum REIN Member
RESCUE REALTY Inc.

rescuerealty

Registered
QUOTE (Klo @ Sep 14 2010, 10:53 AM) I have to disagree with most on here in regards to Libertas Property Management. I am extremely dissatisified. My property has been sitting vacant for 4 months now and the excuse I got from Carolyn (manager) was "tenants are typically looking for 3 bds, 2baths and a basement." Is EVERYONE in Edmonton looking for a 3 bedroom?? really??

Communication is also horrible. I appreciate the set up they have on their website but when I leave a message, it either gets unanswered or I will receive a reply after sending the same message multiple times. I guess thats typical with PM`s. Which is unfortunate.

I`d like to personally hear from owners who`ve had terrible experiences with LIBERTAS Property Mgmt.

"Klo"?

"Darcy"?

I know there are at least 3 members in Calgary very upset with what went on there....

My email is [email protected]

brentdavies

Registered
Hi Todd,

Jason has been away for the past 2 weeks. However from the tone of your posts, no one seems to be able to do the job.

In my experiance over the past 25 years, there are 3 sides to any dispute. Yours, the other party and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

Brent Davies

QUOTE (rescuerealty @ Nov 3 2010, 10:21 AM) Absolutely would NOT recommend Libertas. They cost us THOUSANDS of dollars of lost rent and collections on delinquent tenants (that they screened and put in the properties) in their one year stint of managing our units. Horrible management and follow through. We had units sit vacant for months with the comment "lower the rent" as the only creative way of getting them rented (one unit sat vacant for 6 MONTHS!). There are many other members in Calgary that have had similar or WORSE experiences with them (this is why they no longer operate in Calgary).

Don Grey of Terra Realty. Again, terrible experience. Stay away from this one.

Davies Management. I tried for 6 days to get a call back or an email from Jason Dolynny without any success (after repeated calls, voicemails, and emails). If this is how they treat owners, how will they treat tenants? Very unprofessional IMHO.

Todd Wyatt
Platinum REIN Member
RESCUE REALTY Inc.

rescuerealty

Registered
QUOTE (brentdavies @ Nov 4 2010, 08:30 AM) Hi Todd,

Jason has been away for the past 2 weeks. However from the tone of your posts, no one seems to be able to do the job.

In my experiance over the past 25 years, there are 3 sides to any dispute. Yours, the other party and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

Brent Davies

Just to "re-qualify" my above post....

Jason (Davies Mgmt) was in the office during the days I was attempting to get an answer; as I was told by the secretary, as well as his voicemail. I guess it only became a priority to reply to me AFTER I was ignored, and posted my experience here.

My poor luck with Edmonton managers doesn`t seem to be limited to my experience only; there are obviously many more on this discussion feeling the same way.

As a partner in the business, I`d expect you to have a different rendition of the events. This is not the first I`ve heard of the lack of communication (several private emails sent to me).

I thought this was an open forum to discuss who the best management company may be? ...and who to avoid?

I just hired one, and plan to let everyone know whether they do an excellent job or not.

Cheers all,

Todd

Top Bottom