Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Your thoughts re: pets

moparcanuck

Registered
Just closing on my first property where there's a question of pets being allowed or not (all my other properties were 'no brainers' either to yes, for the mobile home park, or no, for condos where they weren't allowed). How do others feel about pets? Obviously there's a risk for additional damage to a property as well as nuisance issues, such as neighbours complaining about noise, droppings, etc. However, I have also heard others comment that since pet friendly properties are harder to find, that they find they can get better tenants at higher rents. Combined with the fact that the tenant is still responsible for pet related damage when they move out, I thought I'd open up the question here. Where it is feasible, do you allow pets in your properties and why?

Hope to hear some good discussion.

Thanks.

KenBoutilier

Registered
I always allow pets...with some restrictions. Statistically upwards of 70% of tenants have pets! If you do not allow pets you are severly restricting your pool of tenants. It is very true that pet friendly properties are becoming increasingly harder to find and you are usually able to get higher rents. In some provinces you can charge extra for pets. I do recommend a pet application be used so as all the rules are clearly communicated and signed off on.

ssteckler

REIN Member
Pets, with restrictions, are permitted in my properties. I agree with Ken's post that it increases the number of potential tenants and increases the rent. In my properties there have been no damages caused by pets (dogs) that the tenant did not repair on his/her own. Good tenants that have pets will be responsible pet owners. To me, its more about the tenant than the pet.

invst4profit

Registered
Unlike Ontario I assume you have a way to evict tenants that do not follow your agreed to dog rules correct.

When a dog owner does break the agreed to rules how long does it usually take to evict and what is the cost if any to the landlord.

invst4profit

Registered
Pets or no pets in Ontario does not matter. A no pet rule in the lease is voided by the RTA so landlords can not prevent applicants from lying about owning or bringing in dogs/pets once they move in.

The reality is if you chose to rent to tenants with dogs you must make the effort to visit where ever they are living to check out there homes.

My opinion is that owning dogs in an appartment is irresponsible and should not be allowed. In a house with a yard that is a different matter but again you must check out there present living conditions before renting to anyone with a dog.

The dogs arn't the problem the pet owners are the problem so screen, screen, screen.

Top Bottom