Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Yellow Letters

L

lanedry77

Hi fellow Quick-Turners,First - Full disclosure: I am an owner of Yellow Letters Canada, and if you order this marketing material from us, I will make a few dollars in profit.
If you decide to order yellow letters, you should order from wherever you want. Although I make a small profit on orders, the main reason for the business is to give back to the Canadian quick-turners out there that wouldn`t have a Canadian source for letters otherwise.

With that aside, I know there are hundreds of people that just finished the Ron LeGrand event in Toronto, and are wanting to get started right away with their new business venture.

I wanted to do this post to share my experience with yellow letter marketing, in an effort to help you all.

I also want to say that this type of marketing does work
. I just closed on a property on Oct 15th that was found through a yellow letter. This one deal alone will net us $781.36/month of cash flow (for 24 months) plus a back-end payday of $63,659.44

The yellow letters DO
work. Where most beginning investors fail (myself included) is in the pre-screening. Like Ron says: "I bet I could pick $1 million of profits out of your garbage basket".

So here`s what I think is important to understand: Regardless of what Ron says, we are
a bit different up here. Canadians are not exposed to as much marketing as Americans, and the rate of foreclosures are nearly zero up here compared to in the states.

Because of this, I`ve made a number of small changes to Ron`s "classic" yellow letter over the past year, with a few surprising results.

Here are the three variations I`d like to discuss;

QUOTE (Yellow Letter, Classic)Hi John,

My name is David Sandbrand. My wife Diane and I would like to buy your house at:
123 Main Street

Please call me at: 123-456-7890

Thanks,

David.
This letter will give you the highest number of calls - roughly 25% to 30%. In other words, if you send 1,000 of these letters, you will get 250 to 300 calls! They won`t all come in that week as many people are lazy and won`t call you right away, but you will get the calls.

The biggest problems with this wording are;
- People will want to know how you got their name and/or address. Many will call you just to ask you this
- Many people, being polite Canadians, will call you to tell you their house isn`t for sale.
- A bunch will call and say "I`ll sell it for $1 million", even though it`s only worth $200k.

Even though there is no indication that Diane and I (in this wording) want to buy the house to live in it
, that is precisely what people will think the letter means, and then they will feel that you misrepresented yourself.

The bottom line is that you`ll get LOTS of calls, and there will definitely will be deals in there, but you`ll get the highest number of unhappy callers with this.

QUOTE (Yellow Letter, Opt-in)Hi John,

My name is David Sandbrand. My wife Diane and I would like to buy your house at:
123 Main Street

If you are interested in selling, please call me at: 123-456-7890

Thanks,

David.
Although this is nearly identical to the `classic` letter, the simple addition of "If you are interested in selling" will cut down on most (but not all!) of the callers that would otherwise call you to say "thanks for the letter, but I`m not interested in selling".
You can expect the same number of calls wanting to know where you got their information from, and the same number of "$1 million" calls.

QUOTE (Yellow Letter, Fully Transparent)Hi,

My name is David, and I would like to buy a house in your area.

If you or anyone you know has a house for sale, please call me at: 123-456-7890

Thanks,

David

PS: I am an investor (not a realtor!), and can buy fast.
This is my favorite when sending my own letters, because it reduces the wasted time I spend on the phone.

There`s a few things to note in this one;
- in the other two versions, a first name is used if the name was available. In this version, no first name is used. This is to ensure that the letter is not personalized in any way. The envelope still includes a name, to increase the open rate.
- This is the `open kimono` version, and does not imply a specific interest in the recipients house.

This letter will give you the lowest number of calls - roughly 5% to 10%, but they will be the highest quality calls. If someone calls back from this letter, the chances that they have a house for sale is significantly higher (though not 100% of course).

Whatever marketing method you use - yellow letter, a website, a vehicle wrap, billboard, flyer, whatever.. - the single most important thing that will determine your success or failure is the ability to `see` a deal. in other words, the pre-screening of the lead sheet.

I`ve sent thousands and thousands of yellow letters, and am actively doing nearly every kind of marketing possible. In hindsight, the reason I was so slow to start was my inability to see a deal when it was right in front of me. I was looking for one particular kind of lead, while not being able to mentally structure a deal or offer for the hundreds of viable leads that didn`t fit the model I thought I was looking for.

Like Ron says, the top two keys to this business are;
#1 - generate leads
#2 - pre-screen them quickly and accurately

I hope that helps a few people.

Thanks,

David.

TodorYordanov

Registered
David,

Great information. Thank you for sharing.

Do you use PatLive or do you you use an answering machine/service to pick up the calls?

Thanks,

Todor

JimWhitelaw

Registered
David has some great advice here. I`ve run a yellow letter campaign as well and I`d like to add a bit of advice about how to handle the calls.

In my experience, using a live answering service (esp PATLive) is not worth the cost. Some of the people who call will be suspicious of you (fewer if you follow David`s third letter format above) and the live answer from someone with a distinct American accent that can`t really answer their questions won`t set them at ease. My recommendation is to use a voicemail answering system with an explanatory greeting something like this:

QUOTE Hi, this is Jim; thanks for calling. If you`re responding to a yellow letter sent to your home I want to you to know that I`m not a realtor and I`m not looking to list your house for sale. I am an investor who is interested in purchasing more properties in your area. I have sent letters like the one you received to many households that share your postal code. If you`re interested in selling, please leave me a brief message with your contact information and the best time to reach you. Thank you.

That way, most of the looky-loos who aren`t interested in selling will get the info they are after and will not leave a message. You`ll still get the odd time-waster leaving a message, but the vast majority will actually have an interest in selling a house.

PATLive ran me about $280/month when sending 200-300 letters per week and wasn`t very effective. I changed my system to voicemail-only for less than 10% of the cost of PATLive.

I now use a couple automated voicemail services that I can recommend:

Grasshopper.com offers toll-free service and advanced voicemail and call routing options for about $12/month. I use this for toll-free service for my "I Buy Houses" marketing.

Voip.ms has cheap per-minute rates for VOIP telephone service and offers toll-free and local numbers. Setting up to use their VOIP service takes a bit of tech know-how that I won`t go into, but you can use their website to set up an automated voicemail-only service for about $0.02/min. I use this service for a couple of my local business numbers and our 24-hr property management line.

The best part is that both these services can be configured to send you an email with the voice message attached as an audio file. You can then listen to the messages on any computer or smartphone.

L

lanedry77

I do still use a live answering service, but my experiment with PATlive lasted only about a month until the slow southern drawl became too much for me to continue accepting.

I then switched to a high-end local company, who was answering my calls 24/7. The cost wasn`t any better than PATlive, but the quality and local accent was much (MUCH!) better.

More recently , I just switched to a lower cost provider that is taking my calls only after business hours.

I have two employees in our quick turn business, one full time and one part time. The full time employee answers the calls directly during business hours, and forwards to the service after hours.

but with all that being said, I would endorse Jim`s voicemail message above. It`s `clean` and to the point, and will cut most of the bad calls out before they reach your ears.

my justification in staying with a live-answer service is that if it only adds one deal a year, it`s worth the cost. BUT - it`s not cheap, so if you`re just starting and are on a limited budget - voicemail is a completely acceptable option.

whatever you do, I would suggest that YOU own the number. If you subscribe to PATlive, Grasshopper, or any other service - if they assign you a number and you market that number, it will be a pain to leave that service. It`s possible to move (`port`) the number, but it`s a pain, and can result in a day or two of no calls.

My suggestion would be to call your phone company (Telus, Sasktel, Bell, etc...) and get a basic home line installed with call forwarding. That way, you have a dedicated line to dial out from, plus you can forward it wherever you want.

Thanks,

David.

TodorYordanov

Registered
Thanks David and Jim for the great information.

I agree with both of your observations and recommendations, tweaks of the system. I have limited experience with the Yellow letters - 1000 sent, but it went exactly as you described it.

David, you mentioned that you missed on a lot of potential deals at the beginning.

What would be a typical lead, that you did "not see the deal" before and what are you seeing now in a typical deal? What is a typical deal for you these days?

Jim did you have a similar experience?

Thanks for taking the time to answer and share your experience and expertise.

Todor

L

lanedry77

Todor,

One of my big mistakes was not having the right words to get the information I needed from a seller. So that left a lot of blank lead sheets.

The next problem was that I felt like I needed to find sellers whose mortgage balance was nearly identical to what they wanted for the house.

This meant I was missing deals that involved free & clear houses and houses with a large amount (among others) of equity that could be purchased creatively.

I was not comfortable with raising capital to close on a property (like the $85,000 I raised in one phone call for the property I mentioned in my above post), or how to structure second mortgages or promissory notes.

I missed deals that required all cash to buy, but were available for significantly under market value.

... and probably a bunch of others that are too painful to recall.

Today, a typical deal is me buying on an agreement for sale with a small down payment (zero is ideal), then putting a lease purchase buyer in the house.

I also wholesale properties that are good deals but don`t fit my holding strategy.

I also buy with 20% down (from an investor) and put a new mortgage on it (or rather, have an investor put a new mortgage on it).

Thanks,

David.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
QUOTE (DavidSandbrand @ Nov 1 2010, 02:41 PM) I have two employees in our quick turn business, one full time and one part time. The full time employee answers the calls directly during business hours, and forwards to the service after hours.

but with all that being said, I would endorse Jim`s voicemail message above. It`s `clean` and to the point, and will cut most of the bad calls out before they reach your ears.
I agree with this completely. If I had someone working for me that could take the calls live, I would do that. In that case, there`s no incremental cost to having the person answer the calls and I could train them to do the initial screening myself.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
QUOTE (TodorYordanov @ Nov 1 2010, 03:42 PM) What would be a typical lead, that you did "not see the deal" before and what are you seeing now in a typical deal? What is a typical deal for you these days?

Jim did you have a similar experience?
David answered this very well. Early on, I was thinking in "LeGrand mode" and only looking for one kind of desparate seller. To an extent I was also focusing on the ugly house / flip model in order to generate quick cash. Over time, I started to see more options and models for how to do deals.

I`ve had good luck with the kind of advertising Wade Graham uses - just a simple "Investor wants to buy houses" ad in kijiji. That tends to attract other investors and they are often more flexible with VTB etc., and you can talk to them very directly about their objectives and motivation. It can be a very open "Here`s what I want, what do you want, do we have a match?" kind of non-emotional business conversation.

TonyMandrique

Registered
If you decide to order yellow letters, you should order from wherever you want. Although I make a small profit on orders, the main reason for the business is to give back to the Canadian quick-turners out there that wouldn`t have a Canadian source for letters otherwise.

Hi David,

Do you have a website that we can look up for more details of possibly ordering Yellow Letters Canada? Thanks.

TonyM
Email: [email protected]

L

lanedry77

QUOTE (BenSanderson @ Nov 7 2010, 08:21 AM) Hi Tony,

Check David`s signature!

http://yellowletterscanada.com/
Thanks Ben!

Tony - You can also give me a call at my office during business hours at 403-228-6500. I`d be happy to help however I can.

Thanks,

David.

PhilipHauck

Registered
David, I am interested in your yellow letter template. My son was very sick in the hospital when the Ron Legrande seminar was on so I could not attend. Got the cds and really enjoyed them. Could you give me a call re yellow Letter
780-842-0474
Thanks Philip Hauck

Top Bottom