Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Would u rent to good rental history tenant?

donksky

Registered
Hello, Am screening tenants (via Rentcheck) and landlord referral was great (paid cash on time +util.) even though she`s on disability with 2 yr. old daughter (no reason to say nice things either - she`d already moved out when I called). Wants to move-in with her boyfriend (who`s lived at home but reports $150/week rent). Guy`s got new job but was welder 2 years at another employer. NEITHER has a beacond score "no trade lines". no car.
They sound serious about paying right (asked how much extra hydro, etc.) Both together can afford rent but woman has 4-5 unpaid wireless bills from several phone companies - could it be not her fault? don`t want to broach the subject directly unless I have to, guy has 1 unpaid telus bill, but woman`s rental record is 5-star. Would u rent to this family or am I just getting desperate (need it rented b4 I can qualify to buy my next deal, deadline late Sept.) & feel bad about the money I spend checking on Rentcheck??

invst4profit

Registered
I personally would wait for something better.
Far too many red flags. Disability, 2yr old, boyfriend, new job, both with unpaid bills.
Single mother on disability is not a major issue but every thing else combined shouts
"irresponsible".
Do you have there credit scores. Have you contacted the landlord before there present landlord.
What is the condition of the boyfriends vehicle.

brentdavies

Registered
Hi,

Cell phone contracts are the one of the leading causes for credit black marks in the pasts few years.

You sign up for a 3 year contract with a free phone, but after 2 years the phone is dead, or you want a newer pnone with more gadgets. New phone, differnt company, new contract, and surprise- surprise, the old phone company is demanding payment for the contract. We found this very common for the under 30 years old group.

In our property mangement business, we would have rejected a large portion of our rental tenants pool due to cell phone contracts defaults.

If this is the only black mark, ok

However if there is more than one, then a judgement has to be made on the other qualites of the application.

Large numbers of renters never buy because their credit history is poor.

Good Luck

Nir

REIN Member
Hi Donna,

I wouldn`t compromise and rent it to someone with questionable payment history. The reason is I am assuming there is a very low vacancy rate in your area meaning lots of potential renters, meaning it`s a landlord`s market, not renter`s that you have to compromise.

If this lady is 6 out of 10, look for someone who is at least 8-9 out of 10. Remember lot`s of tenants are standing in line, there are not enough apartments in this city(!) so why compromise/take the risk(!?) {even if it takes you another 2 weeks.}

Good luck,
Neil

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
You may also want to call the previous landlord again (using a different phone) to try determine if that person truly is/was a landlord. You could say that you heard they may have a suite for rent and you were wondering if it is still available. If they suggest that you must have the wrong number, it could indicate that this person was just a friend posing as a landlord.

Regards,
Sherilynn

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
The fact that you are asking for our opinions suggests that you do not fully trust this couple. Follow your gut feeling. You will find another couple who is more to your liking.

And if you are going to check references, make sure you check the previous to the previous landlord. The current landlord may be anxious to get rid of his "freeloaders", and not give you the true reference you are looking for.

terri

Registered
QUOTE (donksky @ Sep 8 2008, 08:42 AM) Hello, Am screening tenants (via Rentcheck) and landlord referral was great (paid cash on time +util.) even though she`s on disability with 2 yr. old daughter (no reason to say nice things either - she`d already moved out when I called). Wants to move-in with her boyfriend (who`s lived at home but reports $150/week rent). Guy`s got new job but was welder 2 years at another employer. NEITHER has a beacond score "no trade lines". no car.
They sound serious about paying right (asked how much extra hydro, etc.) Both together can afford rent but woman has 4-5 unpaid wireless bills from several phone companies - could it be not her fault? don`t want to broach the subject directly unless I have to, guy has 1 unpaid telus bill, but woman`s rental record is 5-star. Would u rent to this family or am I just getting desperate (need it rented b4 I can qualify to buy my next deal, deadline late Sept.) & feel bad about the money I spend checking on Rentcheck??

If you decide not to rent to her because of the unpaid wireless, you should explain this to her so that she can fix the problem, if she did switch cell companies a few times and is unaware of these black marks on her credit you would be doing her a favour.

Don`t feel bad about waiting for great tenants and DO NOT feel bad about money spent on Rent cheque, this is all part of doing your due diligence, it`s necessary and should be budgetted for and NOT skipped.

T.

invst4profit

Registered
Something else to keep in mind for future screening. In a situation of boyfriend/girlfriend it is a good bet that one may leave. Make sure each alone can afford the rent not both combined.

realfortin

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Sep 9 2008, 05:24 AM) Something else to keep in mind for future screening. In a situation of boyfriend/girlfriend it is a good bet that one may leave. Make sure each alone can afford the rent not both combined.

Good point Greg

brad

REIN Member
Having recently gone through and eviction and the few thousand that it cost me out of pocket to get my unit back up and running....... STICK WITH YOUR GUT!!!!!!!! I didn`t and I should have. It was a similar situation, single mom (so was my mom, but there are issues to consider), decent job with a few minor blemishes on her credit, long story short.....bad move. Wait for the right tenent, market the tar out of your unit and don`t settle for ANYONE.

Brad

ShannonMurree

REIN Member
They always sound serious about paying right, until they get in the house and do a total 180. In my experience, I agree with the other posters, go with your gut. There are too many "professional tenants" out there and from what you stated, sound like too many red flags.

ps...don`t forget to update your rentcheck to say why you refused. This will give them a chance to clean up their act hopefully, establish a history and perhaps help other Landlords. It`s never a "waste" that you spent your money checking on it. It`s a business expense and could save you $$thousands later and save your time from going to Tribunals and serving eviction notices!
style_emoticons

MikeMcCrae

Registered
Never rent from a position of weakness. In Ontario I understand there are no security deposits so you have no fall back. I too would pass. In our rental business we go strongly with our intuition, I to think you should listen to what your gut tells you. It is hard to have a vacancy, harder to have a bad tenant.

Top Bottom