Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wood Foundations

AndreiAngelkovski

REIN Member
Hi,

I was analyzing a property in Orillia and everything about the property was great. The numbers worked, the area was good, the interior and exterior was good, and then I noticed on the listing that it said the foundation was wood. I`ve never come across a house that had a wood foundation. They usually have concrete foundations.

My question is does anyone have any information about the pros and cons of wood foundations? Are they better or worse than concrete? The house is 20 years new.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Andrei

Architectus

Registered
Hi!Wow! That is something so unusual! I never came across wooden foundations yet, however, I know they do exist and are just as good as concrete, and may not be so bad after all...

By the way, I`m a graduate architect (working towards a registration in Alberta), and I`m always interested in architectural topics, so I`m happy if I can help.

As for a wooden foundation, or PWF (preserved wood foundation), it is allowed by Canadian building code. Concrete is stronger (and colder), but for a single family house you don`t really need such a strong concrete, wood is strong enough to hold up an entire house. Wood has been a primary building source for hundreds and thousands of years, and many few hundred year old homes in Europe are made entirely of wood, which are still liveable today. So, if I found a perfect property with a wooden foundation, I would not hesitate for a moment - basement is much warmer and it means less heating bills for the owner!

One word of warning though - please do get a home inspector in to check it thoroughly, make sure there are no termites, and that is well insulated, and there are no moisture problems. Please also make sure that the wood is treated (it`s all explained in the second link I`m providing). The wood treatment is not the healthiest thing unfortunately, but as long as the basement is developed or going to be fully developed and there is no direct exposure to the treated wood, you`ll be fine. If all that is ok, you`re good to go.

Here`s some literature for you to read:

http://www.hallidayhomes.ca/PWF_faqs.cfm

http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/pubs/cbd/cbd234_e.html

http://boards.homefocus.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=377

http://www.regina.ca/content/info_services...preserved.shtml

www.townofunity.com/permits/preserved
wood
guide.pdf

Hope that helps!
Anna

3Girls

Just as an additional note, I have seen more and more houses being built in certain areas (Lloydminster) with wood basements as a result of availability. It was easier to get a wood basement put in then to wait for concrete.
As long as everything checks out, I would not hesitant to buy a property with a wood basement (in fact I am just closing on one right now).

Maurice Roberge

Lucas

Registered
Hello,

Great topic...I love this kind of stuff. I own a construction company and have grown up in a building family all of my life. My dad builds modular homes in West-Central Alberta (Wes-Land Modular Homes) and has utilized wood basements many times. There are some obvious risks with them and if they arent done properly (ie. aren`t properly sealed from the outside and aren`t put on concrete footings) they can be a pain. I seen one that was put on a gravel footing (passed by an engineer btw) that was sinking on one corner (by the time I seen it it had sunk propbably 4" in one year on one end) and the damage was so extensive and the cost to fix it was so expensive that the owners just left it and lived with the shifting as it will move every season. The implications were and propbably are still very, very extensive and it has and will continue to wreak havoc on not only the structral integrity of the building but all the finishings as well. In your case, because its an older house and obviously hasn`t sunk into an abyss, its probably a safe bet. I would just check to make sure it is on a CONCRETE footing system, that it was properly sealed to begin with, and that there is a proper foundation drainage system in place (ie. drainage beds and weeping tile).

If they are done correctly, I think they are a perfectly good substitute for concrete and would consider using them on any house I build. One plus is that if there is damage it is easy to fix, simply replace whatever is damaged.

Anyway, I`ve rambled enough...Good luck with your decision.

Lucas

SamEfford

Registered
Before buying, ensure you have an engineer inspect and approve the foundation. From my understanding, all wood foundations have to be engineered and lenders will want this inpection and certification.

navaz

Registered
Hello Andrei

I have come accross wood foundation in Prince George. I had choices to buy ones without -they cost about $10K more. Some people did an engineering report to see if it was good and purchased them. Those houses are still standing without issues that I could see.

spenney

REIN Member
QUOTE (2tray1 @ Oct 16 2007, 02:17 PM) Hi,

I was analyzing a property in Orillia and everything about the property was great. The numbers worked, the area was good, the interior and exterior was good, and then I noticed on the listing that it said the foundation was wood. I`ve never come across a house that had a wood foundation. They usually have concrete foundations.

My question is does anyone have any information about the pros and cons of wood foundations? Are they better or worse than concrete? The house is 20 years new.

Thanks,

Andrei

Hi,

I am a new member with REIN and Certified Master Inspector www.homeinspectionleaders.com I have done 1,000`s property inspections. I have done property inspections for REIN members, particularly PWF.

There many things you should know when buying PWF foundations; they are usually less expensive to heat, they are cheaper to build and repairs (if needed) can be done from the inside. They are not as prone to damp musty smell like concrete.

My biggest concern for PWF foundations are depth below ground (4 ft vs 7 ft) and the original or current engineer certificate is a must. I prefer to purchase 4 ft below ground. It will have less latheral thrust from soil pressures and therefore avoid $65,000 minimum cost repair(subject to available trades) I have advised some of my REIN clients against and for.

YOU MUST insure that downspouts are installed, lot is sloped away from foundation and preferrably, heated garage (frost issue)

Hope this helps.

Any member feel free to emal any questions. I offer free consultations to all my clients for as long as they live in the home.

Happy Member

johnpeacock

Registered
QUOTE (2tray1 @ Oct 16 2007, 02:17 PM) Hi,

Thanks,

Andrei

Hi. I have been a plumber for 20 years and now my son and I are building 4 plex units to hold on to as rentals. We used aPWF basement in the 4 plex we have just completed (our first of a number yet to come). When we decided to go PWF we got an engineer to give us specs and then to come and verify our compliance. This satisfies the bank giving us our mortgages.
As a builder/owner be careful that there is good drainage from the building, there is good weeping tile and crushed rock around the footings and that there is an approved moisture sealant between the PWF and the backfill.
PWF does make for a warmer basement because it can take an R-20 insulation rather than the R-14 usually found when a basement is strapped iwith 2x4 studs
I hope this helps
John

RobMacdonald

Registered
I just wanted to echo some of the comments above. Almost all lenders are going to require an inspection from a certified engineer as to the quality of the foundation. Although property inspectors bring great value and insight to their trade, most banks will not accept anything less then a report from a certified engineer.

Rob

Top Bottom