Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Woman Faces Ostacles in Legalizing Basement Suite

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
An Airdrie woman is trying to get a basement suite legalized, but she faces opposition from people in the neighbourhood.

Diane Young is hoping to repair the foundation and rent out the basement of a Centre Avenue house, but residents of the neighbourhood are concerned that it will cause the value of their houses to decrease.

Young`s friends previously owned the house, but had a lot of trouble with the foundation. The foundation of the house had been a problem for the previous owners as well, and it made the house difficult to sell.

"I eventually said, `This is ridiculous,`" Young said. "Three owners have had a faulty foundation and nobody`s fixing it."

Young decided to buy the property and fix it up so she could provide safe and affordable housing for someone looking to rent.

She is facing opposition from some members of the neighbourhood who would like the area to remain as single-family dwellings, to keep the value of their houses from decreasing.

Young has put in a rezoning application, which will be reviewed at a public hearing that is tentatively scheduled for July 20 at the regular meeting of city council. Anyone from the community can attend the hearing.

The house is currently on blocks while Young waits for the decision on her rezoning application.

"I`m just trying to help people," Young said. "I`m trying to make this a positive thing and I don`t know how else to go about this."

Read the full article here.

Top Bottom