Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Why is Edmonton the #1 top ten town?

mortgageman

Registered
Manitoba`s economy is very diversified. Agriculture, transportation, government, hydro electricity, manufacturing, food processing to name the major groups. It won`t boom. It won`t bust. Just steady as she goes. However, there are draw backs. Rent control. Land transfer taxes. Tough renter profile in many parts of Winnipeg, etc.

Jack

Registered
QUOTE However, there are draw backs. Rent control. Land transfer taxes. Tough renter profile in many parts of Winnipeg, etc.
Is rent control really that bad? Sure sounds bad, but, if you think about it, is it really that material? Markets will always determine rents, not government legislation. Correct me if I`m wrong, but, with rent control, you`re "only" allowed to raise rents once annually, and only by a deemed rate by the government, yes? I guess that would`ve hurt landlords in Alberta in `06 and `07, who were blessed with that fine quality that immediately increases profitability: scarcity power
. Because there were so many people that moved here in those years, somewhat unexpectedly, available housing supply was next to nothing, and suddenly the landlords were in this extreme position of power, because they had the scarce object that everyone at the time was begging for.

Besides anomalies
like those two years, I guess I just don`t see how rent control is really all that much of a deterrent to investors. Heck, if I invest in Manitoba, and if they experience an influx of new migrants, and if I can only raise my rents 5%, but the value of my property has gone up 10%, I`m not complaining!

MonteDobson

Registered
QUOTE if they experience an influx of new migrants

What, in your "expert" opinion, is going to drive people to move to Manitoba??

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (Jack @ Nov 23 2008, 10:45 PM) Is rent control really that bad? Sure sounds bad, but, if you think about it, is it really that material? Markets will always determine rents, not government legislation. Correct me if I`m wrong, but, with rent control, you`re "only" allowed to raise rents once annually, and only by a deemed rate by the government, yes? I guess that would`ve hurt landlords in Alberta in `06 and `07, who were blessed with that fine quality that immediately increases profitability: scarcity power. Because there were so many people that moved here in those years, somewhat unexpectedly, available housing supply was next to nothing, and suddenly the landlords were in this extreme position of power, because they had the scarce object that everyone at the time was begging for.

Besides anomalies
like those two years, I guess I just don`t see how rent control is really all that much of a deterrent to investors. Heck, if I invest in Manitoba, and if they experience an influx of new migrants, and if I can only raise my rents 5%, but the value of my property has gone up 10%, I`m not complaining!

Is it the end of the world? Meaning, is it the worst thing that could possibly ever happen? Nope, not by a long shot. Overall, is it a bad policy that has been proven to hurt both tenants and landlords alike? Yep. The problem here in Ontario is that it isn`t the market that determines the rent in many situations - it is
the government legislation. Many owners here wish they could raise rents 5% like you said, as that`s almost three times higher than what we`re allowed. It`s currently set at 1.8%, I believe, and in recent years I think it was about 1.3%. I know a lot of expenses have gone up by more than that in recent years, but in general, that doesn`t affect what we can do.

But can you still make money whilst providing decent housing for people under rent control? Of course - it just makes it harder all around.

Have a good one!

JohnS

Jack

Registered
QUOTE What, in your "expert" opinion, is going to drive people to move to Manitoba??
First, please show me where I claimed to be an expert. Thanks.

Second, did you notice how I said "if
they experience an influx of new migrants?" I`m not saying that it`s going to happen - I`m saying that it`s possible. Why? Well, what drove people to move to Saskatchewan in 2007? Jobs, perhaps, but probably moreso was the fact that it`s more affordable
relative to its western counterparts. Some family experiences a $100,000 paper gain on their house in Calgary in 2006, they sell off, they move to Saskatchewan, and they buy a home with no mortgage. Think their quality of life might be a little higher? Saskatchewan had a net-migration figure of -3,731 people in 2006, followed by a 2007 figure of 7,639, about a 10,000 person YOY swing. Think that may have had something to do with Albertans "cashing out" their equity and heading one province east? My guess would be that it did.

There`s really no reason why this couldn`t happen to Manitoba - or any other province, for that matter. Affordability will continue to gain more and more importance, and this is what Manitoba currently offers.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
QUOTE (Jack @ Nov 23 2008, 08:45 PM) . . . I guess I just don`t see how rent control is really all that much of a deterrent to investors.
Here`s a few downsides to artificially constrained rents:

1) Limits your ability to access equity in the property via refi if you can`t cover the higher borrowing cost from cashflow.

2) Limits your exit options if the property can`t provide viable cashflow to a new investor purchasing from you at market value.

3) Limits your ability to increase the value/cashflow of the property by making improvements and charging higher rents.

Might not be a deterrent to you and your plan, but certainly could be for other investors.

Jack

Registered
QUOTE Yes...for a year maybe, and then what???

Can that not be said about any province?

Do you have a multi-year plan for the migration patterns of Alberta?

REINteam

Registered
Nepoez

To answer the original question before it took a turn.

You may want to check out the full research report which outlines all the details of the future economic fundamentals.

All the details plus all the research sources are found in the latest release of the Alberta Top Investment Towns research report

Click here for some detail of the report

ZanderRobertson

Registered
what`s behind this curtain? which mysterious member of the REIN team has such statistics on hand to answer such a post? hmmmmmm

good point, it`s not a plan so much as a projection. alberta`s not so bad after all. how about manitoba now? is there such a growth projection for them?

Do you, mystery poster, have any numbers on Manitoba you`d like to share?

QUOTE (REINteam @ Nov 24 2008, 05:29 PM) Alberta`s population forecast to 2012

From the Alberta Employment and Immigration department

Some great information from there website talking about labour market forecasts

Click here

Jack

Registered
Alberta`s population forecast to 2012

From the Alberta Employment and Immigration department

Some great information from there website talking about labour market forecasts

Click herehttp://http://employment.alberta.ca/documents/LMI/LMI-LMF_2007-12_outlook.pdf

Great info, thanks. The population forecast seems reasonable, although Calgary`s expected growth seems optimistic. Alberta certainly has the in-migration fundamental working in their favour, even now, amidst all of this turmoil. And one reason to be bullish on Calgary specifically is the concentration of major, public, billion-dollar firms that provide a ton of jobs to the region. And they, with their hoarding of cash during the oil run-up, are in a fine position to buy up some junior companies without cash for a sizeable discount.

As for the various employment reports - one thing to check out is the dates. Not sure how relevant they are, as the most recent of them is from June of 2008, and, hmm, has anything of significance on the macroeconomic level happened since then? How about:
  • Stock market collapse
  • Sub-prime crisis worse than expected
  • Access to credit & market liquidity worse than expected
  • Consumer spending down
  • Consumer confidence downNegative GDP growthOil price collapseOilsands projects stalled/cancelledHiring freezesLayoffs
I would think that these factors might
affect an analyst`s outlook on employment.
style_emoticons

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Jack @ Nov 24 2008, 07:30 PM) [/list]I would think that these factors might affect an analyst`s outlook on employment.
style_emoticons

indeed .. they WILL affect the province .. BUT: it is much better here than in most other 1st world jurisdictions like: UK, France, Germany, Japan, TX, SC, CA, WA, OR, Florida, SK, BC, ON, NFL, or certainly better than emerging economies like: Romania, China, S-Korea, Ukraine ..

so where else would YOU move for better opportunities ???

It is all relative ?

seeu22

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Nov 24 2008, 09:01 PM) indeed .. they WILL affect the province .. BUT: it is much better here than in most other 1st world jurisdictions like: UK, France, Germany, Japan, TX, SC, CA, WA, OR, Florida, SK, BC, ON, NFL, or certainly better than emerging economies like: Romania, China, S-Korea, Ukraine ..

so where else would YOU move for better opportunities ???

It is all relative ?

I agree Thomas. There isn`t too many markets when the fundamentals as good as they are in Alberta. The real downside I see in Alberta isn`t the long term economics, it`s the price of admission as a function of revenue. Almost every property for sale and every joint venture I see bank on appreciation to give any sort of decent return. True cash flow is very hard to come by.

I am really concerned about future appreciation potential in Alberta. We are not geographically limited here like they are in Vancouver, New York or LA for example. Developers can build houses from Calgary through to Winnepeg. What makes me cautious is when I look at markets like Dallas/Fort Worth. DFW has strong fundamentals and employment opportunites with inmigration that is higher than Alberta. Their housing market is and has been flat for 20 years, yet it scores out great on the goldmine score card. From talking with investors in that market they say that the developers have become so efficent and competative at putting in housing that they have held the prices steady.

Sure people are moving to that market to chase the opportunity, but that opportunity is attracting home builders as well. Even though the demand for housing is high they have been able to meet the demand and keep the prices in check.

It seems possible to me that builders may be able to meet the demand in Alberta, therefore keeping prices in line. This is especially true with the downturn in Central Canada. Now there are plumbers, electricians, drywallers, etc. that will be coming out here looking for work.

My point is we can`t bank on appreciation in the short term ie. 5 years or less. 10 years or more yes things will definately be worth more.

Most cash flow calculations I see don`t take in to account real world expenses. With a 5 year plus holding period real world expenses will rear their head. That furnace will need to be replaced, tenants may damage a suite beyond what the damage deposit will cover,etc.

Is it wise to carry a property with negative cash flow in the hopes that our fundamentals will force appreciation in the coming years? Edmonton and Calgary are top ten towns based on fundamentals, but they aren`t very investor friendly at their current price levels.

Would it be smarter to look at markets where the fundaments aren`t as strong, but true cash flow is readily available. At the end of the day it`s not about investing in "cool" markets, it`s about investing where we get the best return.

Neil

MonteDobson

Registered
QUOTE (seeu22 @ Nov 24 2008, 10:06 PM) True cash flow is very hard to come by.

My point is we can`t bank on appreciation in the short term ie. 5 years or less. 10 years or more yes things will definately be worth more.

Most cash flow calculations I see don`t take in to account real world expenses. With a 5 year plus holding period real world expenses will rear their head. That furnace will need to be replaced, tenants may damage a suite beyond what the damage deposit will cover,etc.

Is it wise to carry a property with negative cash flow in the hopes that our fundamentals will force appreciation in the coming years? Edmonton and Calgary are top ten towns based on fundamentals, but they aren`t very investor friendly at their current price levels.

Hi Neil,

Excellent point of view, however I`d like to disagree on the cashflow argument that you pose. We are currently finding deals that will cashflow at minimum $500/month after ALL expenses. Also, with any new acquisitions, we are placing a minimum of $5,000-10,000 (for single family home/duplex/condo etc) upfront into a high interest reserve/vacancy account to fund any unforeseen "real world expenses". The key is to hope for the best and plan for the worst and reserve funds have never been as important as now.

Yes, capital appreciation is where the big money is made, but as Thomas has explained many times, you can make a pretty damn good return in a flat or even declining market as long as you have breakeven to positive cashflow to support your investment. To me, it`s pretty hard to believe that home values in Alberta have any chance of being lower in 2012-14 than they are right now.

True cashflow is out there...you just need to look around!
style_emoticons

manojsingh

Registered
Agree with Neil. We have to identify those market where cash flow is real not only based on appreciation. Textbook method to find property is good in books but on real ground we have to find solution for our own investment community. One of the REIN meeting I asked senior REIN executive that I am not able to find a deal in number one town of Ontario because of high prices what about the other towns? his reply was that you should put offer for 100 properties and then call me for advice. May be some investor do this but I am not sure. Please share your experience may be I am wrong.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (seeu22 @ Nov 24 2008, 09:06 PM) I agree Thomas. There isn`t too many markets when the fundamentals as good as they are in Alberta. ... What makes me cautious is when I look at markets like Dallas/Fort Worth. DFW has strong fundamentals and employment opportunites with inmigration that is higher than Alberta. Their housing market is and has been flat for 20 years, yet it scores out great on the goldmine score card. From talking with investors in that market they say that the developers have become so efficent and competative at putting in housing that they have held the prices steady.

not quite .. prices in TX have APPRECIATED with inflation for a decade or more .. check it here: http://www.prestprop.com/tx.html especially the first report .. steady as she goes .. a decade or more of in-migration of around 2% .. twice the average US rate and higher than Alberta .. but indeed .. loads of land .. but even if land was free it costs to service and build upon ..

so you buy with 20% down, no cash flow and a 4% appreciation annually for a decade .. up 40% .. plus 20% mortgage paydown ... YAHOO: a 300% ROI in a decade .. not too bad .. (200K house with 40K down and a 160K mortgage, now worth 280K with a mortgage of 128K .. so equity of 152K .. up 112K .. or over 300%)

seeu22

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Nov 24 2008, 11:05 PM) not quite .. prices in TX have APPRECIATED with inflation for a decade or more .. check it here: http://www.prestprop.com/tx.html especially the first report .. steady as she goes .. a decade or more of in-migration of around 2% .. twice the average US rate and higher than Alberta .. but indeed .. loads of land .. but even if land was free it costs to service and build upon ..

so you buy with 20% down, no cash flow and a 4% appreciation annually for a decade .. up 40% .. plus 20% mortgage paydown ... YAHOO: a 300% ROI in a decade .. not too bad .. (200K house with 40K down and a 160K mortgage, now worth 280K with a mortgage of 128K .. so equity of 152K .. up 112K .. or over 300%)

You are correct. TX prices were negative/flat for periods in the 80`s and 90`s. They have gone up with inflation since having a couple of stellar years(10% gains) early in this decade. Inspite of having excellent fundamentals, their appreciation was nil compared to markets like LA, Pheonix, Edmonton, Calgary, etc.

Neil

nepoez

Registered
Just a thought. The worth of RE price is relative to in/deflation. If your house was worth 100k from 1985-1995 flat, but everything else is going up in price you are losing value, however if everything else is going down in value then you are making money
style_emoticons

QUOTE (seeu22 @ Nov 24 2008, 09:25 PM) You are correct. TX prices were negative/flat for periods in the 80`s and 90`s. They have gone up with inflation since having a couple of stellar years(10% gains) early in this decade. Inspite of having excellent fundamentals, their appreciation was nil compared to markets like LA, Pheonix, Edmonton, Calgary, etc.

Neil

invst4profit

Registered
I am also in agreement with Neil.

C2Ventures:
I would like to see some examples of your deals showing real world numbers supporting $500 per door monthly positive cash flow.
Unless you are buying at fire sale prices the numbers do not add up.

Top Bottom