Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Who can facilitate an RRSP loan against a property?

MarkTorgerson

REIN Member
I am looking to make an RRSP loan to an individual secured against his property in which he has ample equity to cover the loan. The loan will have a specified interest rate and timeline. Who can facilitate this transaction? I have heard Olympia Trust has been used in the past. Has anyone executed this type of transaction and do they have a contact name? What type of fees were involved?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
It has to be a mortgage, i.e. the RRSP becomes the lender. OT charges a setup fee for the mortgage ($100) and an annual fee for account ($150) and another annual fee for each mortgage ($120), and a lawyer will charge around $1000 to facilitate it, each way, such as Barry McGuire or RMLO in Edmonton. Takes about 2-3 month, faster if $s are already at OT. Contact [email protected] ... CWT, B2B Trust and some other institutions do it too. Perhaps check first with your current institution.

Mark Baltazar

Excited to learn, invest and meet new people!!!
Registered
I'm interested in learning more about RRSP loans. I have RRSPs that could amount to a good portion of project.

What are the guidelines? How does the transaction get executed?

Any info on this is very much appreciated.

I was told by a broker and conventional bank that RRSP loans or loans secured by RRSPs can't be done in Ontario.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
RRSP guidelines are Canadawide, not provincial.

Did you phone OT or any of the trustees ? What did they say ? Each trustee has there own guidelines ( say re LTV and interest rates) and paperwork.

Lawyer will facilitate document and $ flow. Easy, but paper and time intensive. Budget several weeks after money is at trustee, and a few more weeks to get money from a trustee that does not do RRSP mortgages to one that does.

Last edited:

Alvaro Sanchez

Ottawa-Gatineau Investor
Registered
Just contact the trustee and see what they need in terms of paperwork as they have their own guideline and fees, etc.

Mark Baltazar

Excited to learn, invest and meet new people!!!
Registered
Thank you. I will call around and pass on the learning.

Top Bottom