Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

which paint should I use in apt

Tibo

Imagine, Believe & Achieve :-)
Registered
Good Day

I`m shoping for a primer and paint and have no clue on what to use.
cheep: Gliden primer 55$/5gal
Pittsburg primer 125$/5gal
Behr top primer 35$/2gal

terri

Registered
QUOTE (Tibo @ Jan 26 2009, 10:49 PM)
Good Day

I'm shoping for a primer and paint and have no clue on what to use.

cheep: Gliden primer 55$/5gal

Pittsburg primer 125$/5gal

Behr top primer 35$/2gal

you probably don't need to buy the most expensive primer, but generally you don't want to buy the cheapest either.

First question: who is doing the painting? Are you doing it yourself or are you hiring painters?

If you are hiring painter, I would splurge on a good one coat coverage paint (may take 2 coats), don't buy cheap drippy paint that takes many coats if you are hiring painters by the hour and even if you are paying them a flat rate you don't want it to take longer than necessary or they will take that into account the next time they give you a quote.

Now if you take that same advice for painting yourself, your time is money as well and you still want a good paint that will take minimum coats.

I'm not familiar with Pittsburg so can't help you there, but based on price, I would hope that it's good.

I've found Glidden to be hit and miss with their paints, don't think I've ever used their primer.

Behr primer seemed to be good, don't think I've ever used their paints.

I tend to use Benjamin Moore a lot (partially because I have their fan deck and partially because most painters that I use like it and paritally because there are 2 specialty paint stores near me that carry it)

I also use Para a lot because there are certain Para colours that I like and use often.

Re: good primer, ask @ the paint store. The paint store that I use, (small, independant) has their own brand that is less expensive than major labels and gives just as good coverage as the more expensive primers.

Also, if you are using a painter, good to ask them what they like using. I find that if there is a certain paint that they are familiar and happy with, it will go on quicker.

So to answer your question from above, between the 3 choices listed, I would probably go with Behr, not the cheapest, not the most expensive.

Lermy

REIN Member
What are you painting?

It`s very likely you do not even need a primer.

If you do need a primer, go out and purchase Zinsser latex based primer/sealer/stain blocker.

Also, unless you are going to use a tremendous amount of primer, you only should buy by the gallon. I run a painting business, and I didn`t go through 5 gallons of primer this summer.

NathanS

Registered
QUOTE (Lermy @ Jan 27 2009, 09:48 AM)
What are you painting?

It's very likely you do not even need a primer.

If you do need a primer, go out and purchase Zinsser latex based primer/sealer/stain blocker.

Also, unless you are going to use a tremendous amount of primer, you only should buy by the gallon. I run a painting business, and I didn't go through 5 gallons of primer this summer.

You should definitley check out Benjamin Moore. They have a fairly new product called Aura that we have been using for the last couple months on all of our renovation jobs. It is more expensinve than most paints but it is self priming (no additional primer coat required) and a maximum of 2 coats in any color. We have used this on new unpainted drywall in a deep base color and it is still only 2 coats. So the time savings is worth the additional cost. Our painter will use this product at no added cost to us (he provides paint) because it saves him the trip to prime.

Here is the link:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/aura

We have also been using this product to spray on Base trim, casings, doors etc.. and it turns out really good. good alternative to a lacquer. Also better for the health of the painter and the environment.

CarlaJohnson

Registered
If you are looking for a colour, we use Benjamin Moore Inukshuk in all our units and in every room. It is a great blend of beige & grey and goes with everything. Keep the trim white. I even convinced the managers of a local apartment building to use the same colour. They loved it.

RebeccaBryan

Registered
What ever you do, just make sure you stick to the same color in every one of your properties. Then you always know the color, and it makes it very easy to do touch ups.

housingrental

Registered
I recommend HC-26 Monroe Bisque by Benjamin Moore for paint colour for rentals - Great with different flooring colours and light levels - hides scuff marks well - Get similiar colour / colour match done to save money off of buying Benjamin Moore
You generally don`t need a primer if going over normal paint... (I think certain red`s are the exception to this to get the right shade? ) if going over wood to hide bleed through, or going over oil paint etc.. is needed though..

Top Bottom