Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

When all is said...

gwasser

Registered
I have been silent for a while. Sometimes you just run out of things to say and do. Todays markets are the toughest I have seen since 2003, or was it 1998, 1990, 1987, 1982?. No I see a clear analog with the downturn of 1974... Oh I wasn`t investing in those years; I was a university student.
Doesn`t matter all downturns are roughly the same. First you`re exited about the buying opportunity. Then it is getting even worse than you expected (that is where I am right now), you lose interest and refuse to open your statement and then... finally, finally, a ray of sunshine comes through the darkness spread by the prognosticators and doomsayers. He, your portfolio is still alive and we`re off the bottom!! Oh... there is an obvious bull market. This time things are different and we`re having a new economy. These are my stages of a downturn.

Right now I am in the `It is getting even worse than I expected` stage. In my desparation, I did send the following e-mail to Gorden Pape:

Subject:
Your G&M article `Bad to worse`

Dear Gordon,

I have e-mailed you in the past on various topics. I am an avid reader of your columns and am sad to learn of your departure from the Money Letter. Your contributions were the main reason of my subscription. Once my Money Letter subscription ends, I won`t renew but I`ll try to subscribe to another service where I can learn your views.

I do want to congratulate you on your latest G&M article where you are holding the course despite the current market turmoil. Although I have read many investment books including yours and Jeremy Siegel`s, I truly am amazed about the steadfast believe that things will turn around expressed by you and many other advisors.

I am following this strategy as well and advocate it to my friends, but deep in the night I wonder. All those buy and hold theories are based on the believe that most companies in your portfolio won`t go under and that our shareholder`s equity is not significantly diluted. With investments in UBS, Royal Bank of Scotland and many other banks the expectation that buy and hold works may not be entirely realistic. A lot depends on survival of these companies or better survival of the shareholders equity invested in them.

Jeremy Siegel`s long term is very long indeed but it still goes only back to the inception of the S&P and more fragmented to the Great Depression. Many `Buy and Hold` strategies seem to be based on even shorter historical data s. In addition, how much damage can one truly recover from using an individual`s investment horizon? I am 56 years old (somewhat junior to you) and with a personal life expectancy of another 40 or so years, Jeremy covers 57 years, so I truly wonder about what `long term` means. Although men like Sir John Templeton claim that one should always be 100% invested in equity (if I remember correctly) and ignore stock market volatility (other than for buying more), currently it is tough to maintain these `Buy and Hold` believes.

Diversification is nice - I diversified amongst stocks, fixed income and plain real estate (I lost faith in CEOs and annual reports after Enron and now the banks) and I am still down 15% (or somewhat worse depending on how pink my glasses are) from last year`s peak- (thank heaven for real estate with stocks alone I would have been down a lot more). Guys like Warren Buffett with Berkshire Hathaway are down 50% (including investments in GE and JNJ which looking back at this point in time don`t seem exactly brilliant). So is that what we`re about? Gambling on the integrity of the managements of companies we invest in and hope that the long term `Buy and Hold` still works? So how are we that much different from speculators such as `day traders`?

I used to say that `I am an investor – not a speculator` but these days I wonder. How are you feeling at night?

On another topic: If we ever learn something from our current troubles it is the overpayment of senior management – in particular CEOs. I do not wish to put all blame for our trouble on corporate senior management or even on senior management of financial institutions. The blame has to be spread out much further than that, including individual investors and borrowers. But it is also clear, that lot of the value increases of the previous bull market was not the result of capable management but much more the result of `market conditions`. Even worse, those same `brilliant` managers did not protect investors from the current malaise nor did they foresee it. So, yes these managers were greatly overpaid via their bonuses and stock options. This will have to change.

I hope my notes may help you in your future investment ideas and thanks for reading my spouted opinions.

Regards,

Godfried Wasser
================================================================================
======
Here is Gordon Papes reply - in one of his columns: http://gold.globeinvestor.com/servlet/Arti...me?back_url=yes
->
Where I Stand

7:20 EST Saturday, Feb 28,2009

Gordon Pape

TORONTO (GlobeinvestorGOLD) - I read an article in The Globe and Mail last week that criticized Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his predecessors for failing to provide an update on Canada`s status and future goals similar to the State of the Union address given annually by the President of the United States. (Yes, I know that Barack Obama`s speech to Congress last week was technically not a State of the Union message but it real terms it served the same purpose.) That article made me realize that I should provide an annual update for readers about my basic approach to investing and my view of the future.

As a starting point, let me restate my fundamental positions. First, I am a strong believer in the value of diversification. I feel that every portfolio should hold a mix of equities, fixed-income securities, and cash in proportions that are consistent with each person`s goals and risk tolerance.

Second, while I believe in the value of long-term investing, I am not obsessed with a buy-and-hold approach. There are only two securities that have been on the Recommended List of my Internet Wealth Builder newsletter for more than 10 years and only a handful that have been there for more than five years. The financial world is highly dynamic and I believe investors need to move with the times. That is why I frequently recommend taking profits or part-profits or, when things don`t go as expected, taking a loss and moving on.

Third, I am an investor, not a speculator. I focus on securities that I feel offer a reasonable risk/return ratio. In cases where one my picks carries above-average risk, I make it a point to warn readers accordingly.

I know that some people don`t pay close enough attention to these cautions and sometimes invest in securities that are not appropriate to their risk profile. That`s why I keep stressing the importance of understanding exactly what type of investor you are before you act. You can`t, and shouldn`t, buy everything that the experts recommend. You need to exercise judgement based on your personal situation to select those that best meet your needs.

Looking ahead, I don`t have to tell you we are in difficult times. The media is full of doom and gloom stories. How long this downturn will last is anyone`s guess. The Governor of the Bank of Canada has said that we`ll start to come out of it later this year and so far he`s sticking by his guns. I hope he is right but many prominent economists disagree.

That`s why I have set two primary goals for this year: to help people preserve the assets they have while starting to gradually rebuild their wealth. This means I will take a cautious approach for the next several months and I urge readers to do the same.

Only when I see clear signs that stability is returning to the world economy in general and the financial sector in particular will I start to become more aggressive in my recommendations. For the time being, I am in what might be termed a survivalist mode. There will be great profit opportunities in the future but they won`t be of any value to people who have no money left to invest.

Gordon Pape is a noted author and editor of the Internet Wealth Builder, Income Investor, and Mutual Funds Update newsletters. His website is at www.buildingwealth.ca

rforgiel

REIN Member
Godfried,

Interesting post.
Like you I have investments in the stock market and have become disillusioned with CEOs and the market. The key point I got out of Gordon Pape`s answer is we need to be in survival mode. I have passed through the phases you mentioned and am now looking to keep my stock money safe.

As an engineer and good with equations I fancied myself a decent value investor. Since the Quants have been crushed by this market, I can only figure the market is being driven be psychology or we are going through a fundemental restruturing as one of your previous post mentions with a shift to China and India.

What ever is happening, my models are breaking down. I am now considering using my stock money to invest in private mortgages as they yield double digit returns.

Keeping my powder dry because there will be tremendous opporunities out there but maybe not in stocks.

gwasser

Registered
Hi Ramon,

Yes this is a very tough environment and I think it is wise to be cautious. Your idea of going into fixed income may be valid, but I would caution you about fixed mortgages. I was involved in AbelCreek, very good mortgage managers associated with Meridian another mortgage investment company. They yield now close to 9% but I pulled my money anyway.

Such companies make often builderloans and in times like these (Three Sisters gone broke, Solaria gone broke) this may not be the time to stick out your neck. My current creed is: Cash, Cash and Cash. I am generating cash from rent, dividend, interest. All from existing investments. Lately, I have also been raising cash by selling call-options but that is an acquired taste. Thomas Beyer and several others had an very interesting stream of posts on that topic on this forum discussing various view points.

My personal feeling on the economy is that hopefully things improve over the next six months, but my guess is as good as anybody else, including the dooms sayers. In an earlier post on risk management, I mentioned a book that suggested to base your investment strategies on various scenarios: What can go right and what can go wrong? - and anything in between. Once you have examined those scenarions and following your own investment standards, such as investment time horizon, expectation of returns, and risk tollerance (do you have nerves of steel?), select your investments.

For me, I am hoping for a recovery in a month or six, but I am investing for a three year down turn.
  • So I ask my self, how much income do I need to live of (in reasonable comfort) for the next three years?
  • Do I have that cashflow?
  • If not, what do I need to do to get it?
  • Next I am building up cash for future investments and I have to plan wherein to invest so that I can research it:
    • Real Estate
    • Dividend paying stocks or income trusts
    • Preferred shares (with adjustable dividends)
    • interest paying government debtReal Estate Trusts such as RioCan and Boardwalkinterest paying corporate debt (I prefer ETFs such as Barclays 1-5year laddered corporate debt rather than individual corps. Rob Carrick on GlobeInvestorGold had last week a very good column on this; Also Gordon Pape recommends Corp Debt. Come to think of it so does Kevin O`Leary on BNN - Oops, that should scare you away)Mortgage investment companies such as Abel Creek (see my earlier concerns)JVs at REIN and related opporunities for income (Know whom you`re dealing with).etc.
    Also, you`ll have to decided whether you are a market timer (in my experience nearly impossible) or whether you buy when ready in little chuncks at a time (cost averaging).Finaly implement your strategy and review/adjust every 6 months or so.
For me, I am still nibbling a tiny bit (using the proceeds from my options sales) but for the rest I am accumulating cash and I am on the outlook for some quality corporate debt such as Bank paper yielding 6-7%. Finally, I have been switching around some investments, I sold half of my Talisman and switched to Crescent Point because I am concerned on the long term outlook for natural gas. Also, Crescent Point yields 12% or so and Talisman only 1.8%.

I am not recommending any of the investments mentioned here. I am just listing alternatives or things I have done my self. Anyway, I hope this helps you to make up your own mind.

Godfried

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (rforgiel @ Mar 6 2009, 09:09 PM) ...I am now considering using my stock money to invest in private mortgages as they yield double digit returns.
Do you consider the risk of these mortgages ? They provide a double digit return ON your money .. if the principal is returned .. i.e. if they provide a return OF your money !

many of these mortgages, especially 2nd mortgages, albeit not all of them, are double digit because they are VERY RISKY.

chargerharry

Registered
I had a funny thing happen to me the other day. Of course my broker has been saying all along to leave my money in the market. However, I saw a representative from his bank on BNN the other day saying that the bank is putting their money in Govt of Canada notes (ie cash). I thought it rather strange that they would be recommending a strategy to me that wasn`t good enough for them to follow. Could it be that perhaps they were just interested in the fees generated from my account?

Ramon, if you do get into mortgages, make sure there is lots of equity in the prop. No greater than 80% LTV.
Harry

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (chargerharry @ Mar 9 2009, 02:20 PM) Ramon, if you do get into mortgages, make sure there is lots of equity in the prop. No greater than 80% LTV.
depends on type of property .. some "values" are old .. and if it is land or a commercial retial center or an industrial warehouse ... 50% LTV might be too high / too risky !

chargerharry

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Mar 9 2009, 03:39 PM) depends on type of property .. some "values" are old .. and if it is land or a commercial retial center or an industrial warehouse ... 50% LTV might be too high / too risky !

Absolutely, Thomas. I picked up a few of these a while back. While 1 or 2 performed, I found that, overall, the risk and hassles were not worth the rates of return.
Harry

rforgiel

REIN Member
Thank you for your advise on investing in mortgages. I appreciate your insights and experiences. I am wondering if the mortgage products Godfried and Harry mention are mortgage syndicates where you put your money into a pool of funds and trust management will act in your best interests. I agree it is difficult to get your money out of these and they can be risky. What I have been investigating are residential mortgages and as Thomas indicates there must be enough equity in the property and I want to see the mortgagee have his own money invested in the property with a real interest in seeing it succeed.

I have been talking with people who have been investing in mortgages successfully for years and they indicate there is no risk if done properly. This means having the right team:
- experienced mortgage broker
- on the ball real estate agent
- good real estate lawyer
- ability to analyize the property and mortgage which REIN has made us an expert at

It is true there are times you will need to take the property back and this can be a hassle but this leads to higher returns. If I can investigate each deal separately and on its own merits it will be risk free. It also appeals to what attracted me to real estate in the first place. Decisions are mine and I do not need to put my trust in an unscrupulous CEO and an asleep at the switch Board of Directors.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (rforgiel @ Mar 11 2009, 08:48 AM) ...
I have been talking with people who have been investing in mortgages successfully for years and they indicate there is no risk if done properly. ...
there is ALWAYS risk .. the question: how big and how likely !

Also in 2009 the risk is significantly higher than 2007 or 2008 .. especially on commercial properties (like industrial, office or retail) and vacant/to-be-built on land .. and especially in 2nd position as a foreclosure means paying out the 1st mortgage !

A 1st on these properties up to 50% LTV in the 13 to 18% range might be OK.

I`d say any 2nd mortgage (over 50% LTV) below 22% to 25% is too cheap i.e. not expensive enough for the risk !

Mitigate by looking at appraisals and its date
adjust is for reality in 2009
physically go the the property
ask for add`l covenant like personal guarantees or 2nd or 3rd properties to collaterize !

gwasser

Registered
[quote name=`rforgiel` date=`Mar 11 2009, 08:48 AM` post=`52500`]
Thank you for your advise on investing in mortgages. I appreciate your insights and experiences. I am wondering if the mortgage products Godfried and Harry mention are mortgage syndicates where you put your money into a pool of funds and trust management will act in your best interests."

====================================================================

Yes Ramon I was talking about mortgage syndicates. Administering individual mortgages myself is too time consuming. Besides I don`t have the expertise to evaluate credit worthiness of individuals. If you have a large pool of mortgages, then you diversify your risk, which is appealing to me. I can not do that when investing in individual mortgages - I would need too many of them. FYI it took me 1.5 months to get my money out of the syndicate - slow but understandable.

Finally, the reason why I wouldn`t invest in individual mortgages is that things get too personnel when matters go sour. Also, if the borrowers credit was so good, why would the borrower not qualify for a much cheaper bank mortgage? As Thomas says there is always risk and I guess that is why he wants an interest rate of 22-25%

As I said, it all depends on your perspective, risk tolerance and required return on investment. For me, I have too many things to do in live, so I am a `hands-off` investor. I participate in rental pools (sometimes get still too deeply involved), REITS, syndicated mortgages, stocks and bonds. That way, I can still run, on a part time basis, my consulting business (see below my website) and have the time to doodle on REIN, to travel with my family, play in the mountains (near Calgary) and be a boyscout leader not to mention dealing with a teenage son.

Interesting discussion though. Thus I always learn.

Thanks

rforgiel

REIN Member
Godfried,

I appreciate you involving me in this discussion. It is interesting to see successful people`s investment approaches and it is food for thought. Being less then right wing and from Ontario it is sometimes difficult to get my posts responded to on this board.

I checked out your web site. Congratulations on your business. It does look very rewarding and offers a good lifestyle.

I am involved in financing and mortgages so get to look at private mortgage opportunities every day and see how the old money holds onto and grows their wealth. After recouping some of my money out of this sucker rally we are having, it may be time to start cutting my teeth on some safer and smaller private deals.

gwasser

Registered
Sorry for the slow reply. I have been very busy lately. There was just no time to spend on the forum. But I wish you success with your approach and please, let us know about your experiences with private mortgages so we can all learn.

As for your political leanings, I don`t think that that plays a role in whether people will respond to your postings. I am pretty opinionated myself and that is often reason for people to respond. So keep on posting.

Godfried

gwasser

Registered
I titled this topic "When all is said..." for a reason.

Basically, because over the last year, I have spouted many of my investment opinions on this forum. Sometimes there is not much more that one can say about a topic and the only thing left to do is... apply it and wait. Lately, I have been very busy with my professional endeavors rather than investing and real estate, there is just not enough time in a day. So, I have been absent for a while and will be again so in the next coming months.

Before I go and leave you alone on this forum (for a while), I wish to express some opinion on the current turn around in the stock market and the glimmers of data that project a more favorable economy. It would be great if the current good news would be true and that we have bottomed. But it may be just as true that we`re in a bear market rally and that the next great depression is around the corner. So don`t jump full blast on the bandwagon and throw caution away. Remain skeptical and follow the main rule of uncertain times: CASH, CASH and CASH. Don`t sell your other asset classes either; just hang on to your investments unless there is no-longer a clear reason to hold them; but don`t throw away the baby with the washwater. In the meantime, nibble: buy attractive looking investments in small bits at a time and collect rents dividends and other forms of cash.

I am concerned about the `bond market bubble` in that literally trillions of investment dollars lay waiting in as many moneymarket funds and short term treasury bills, in particular U.S. treasury bills. A volume of money that is nearly twice the size of the entire U.S. stock market value. If the masses follow a certain investment trend, it is likely wrong. Here lies the risk. In case of a sustained stock market rally or improved economy, a sudden withdrawal from these cash instruments may cause major instability, including a crash in the U.S. dollar valuation.

So, stay vigilant, stay patient and nibble both at Canadian Real Estate and the stock market. We can know what MAY happen, we never know what WILL happen.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom