Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Whats the best plan?

JoefromTO

REIN Member
So apparently Waterloo is rank #1 in the top ten list of where to invest. Is this list still current? I just happen to live 1.5 hours away from there. My interests are in larger building like 8plexs. I might be more inclinded to buy single family homes once I start evalutating properties using the score cards and such, but I`m really interested in getting large buildings because it seems to make more sense to have more under 1 roof.

Issue #1
Anyway, I`m curious to know how everyone purchases their properties and what you do with them long term. For example, do you put a big down payment down towards the purchase like say 25% and mortage the rest, and if you do, do you use your own money for the 25%? Then when you have the property, do you try and pay off the mortgage as soon as possible, or do you ride the whole mortgage out, say 25 years? Or do you constantly refinance the properties, taking whatever equity you built out to either invest or spend.

My interests at the moment are no so much to increase my disposable income. I would rather work towards paying off my properties so that I can live very comfartably some day off them.

Issue #2
The other thing is, Iv`e never really learned how to buy large buildings and have them run without me constantly having to baby sit them. At some point I plan on owning multiple buildings and I`m sure I would need a team of people to help me manage them. So my guess is having a superintendent living at the building, at a reduced rent(for example) and a property management company or a realtor deal with advertising vacancies...whatever...is this kind of process discussed in any your books or quickstart home kit? Or is this something that members get guidance with at the meetings?

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

By the way, if I`m asking a detailed question that may require membership to receive a detailed answer, then please accept my apologize.

housingrental

Registered
1)Investor specific. Many try to refinance asap to leverage the money into another property. Many get initial DP from heloc. Others are more conservative.

2) I`ve not seen anything on this in quickstart or meetings yet. There`s members that can advise you at meetings. Even with a super you`ll need to manage the property or hire a pm company to.

MonteDobson

Registered
Home Equity Line Of Credit. Most lenders will lend up to 80% (or more) of your homes appraised value by way of a Line of Credit.

They are great because of the flexibility and rates are usually at prime (currently 4.75%).

babyblueflame

Registered
Heloc used to be at Prime rate, and it`s just went up to prime + 1% (same as variable mortgage rate now) Although I dont trust it being like this for too long.

wealthyboomer

Registered
QUOTE (babyblueflame @ Oct 11 2008, 07:17 PM)
Heloc used to be at Prime rate, and it's just went up to prime + 1% (same as variable mortgage rate now) Although I dont trust it being like this for too long.

hmmm...mine is still Bank PRIME. Currently 4.5%

GarthChapman

Registered
The interest rates on our existing lines of credit and variable ratemortgages will not change, only new ones we arrange will have these new higher rates - for now.

MonteDobson

Registered
QUOTE (wealthyboomer @ Oct 11 2008, 09:23 PM) hmmm...mine is still Bank PRIME. Currently 4.5%

Banks actually dropped it the full 1/2 point to follow the Bank of Canada...so currently 4.25%.

We were lucky and have a number of mortgages that range from prime minus 0.75-0.9%, so I am loving these rate drops!

Top Bottom