Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Utilities Submetering for multi family suites

flyingsquirrel

Registered
I have a few questions regarding installing sub meter in a house with main floor and basement renting out to different tenant.

Can I install meters for hydro, water and gas?

How much is it going to cost?

Are those submeters going to be inside the house?

Does anyone know of someone good in doing this in Barrie area with affordable price?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
You will need approval from the municipality and/or utility company. You will likely get that if sites are legal, and possibly not get it if illegal suites.

Some are outside, like gas and "hydro" .. but water is likely inside due to frost. Some utilities now do remote wireless meters !

Budget $5000 to $8000 for it for all 3, likely at least 2 possibly 3 sub-trades.

Again, check first if you are actually allowed to do it, then phone an electrician, a plumber and a certified gas installer in the area !

Also, in Ontario, you cannot change your lease until the tenant moves out. Any new lease then should have provisions for eventual (but not yet) installed sub-metered utilities !

In addition, "smart meter legislation" is being introduced into Ontario with its own implications i am not familiar with.

Registered
I can recommend someone out of Midland- Jim Lavin Electric. He is a straight up guy and is pre-authorized with the ESA. He upgraded from 60 to 100 amp service at my rental house and installed a sub-panel for my apartment above our garage. You can mention that I referred you.

Scot Gorecki

Mike Milovick

Registered
Please note that as of January 1, 2011, rental legislation in Ontario has changed regarding suite meters and as it relates to electricity.

Note that if the unit is heated by ELECTRICITY (electric baseboards) in order to pass along some of the costs to the tenant, you must have TWO SEPARATE METERS for the suite. One for electric heat. One for switches, outlets everything else. You can have the tenant pay for the meter associated with switches, outlets and fridge. You CAN NOT have the tenant pay for costs associated with electric heat. Also note, that in making this switch your fridge has to be newer than 1994 (I believe) in order to pass along electricity costs to the tenant.

More info is available apparently in sections 137 and 138 of Residential Tenancy Act. Note that if you call in to the Landlord Tenant Board (888) 332-3234, its VERY LIKELY that the Customer Service Representative IS NOT FAMILIAR with this legislation change. When I called in, it took me about half an hour to confim this - and this was after the CSR gave me the wrong info originally and I asked the CSR to confirm...

Welcome to Ontario landlording.

This would probably make for a good REIN topic in upcoming seminar.

Mike

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=MikeMilovick]You CAN NOT have the tenant pay for costs associated with electric heat.

That doesn't make any sense to me. If you are heating a dwelling with gas, can you have the tenant pay the gas bill? There doesn't seem to be any rationale for this decision. Why would the type of energy used for heat make a difference as to who pays for it?

Regards,

Michael

Mike Milovick

Registered
Michael;

The Ontario Government is working towards a conservation approach when it comes to electricity. I just received notice of smart billing that will go into effect at my cottage shortly - with corresponding rate useage. Peak usage is literally double what off hour usage is.

I am not here to determine whether or not government policy makes sense. In fact, based on provincial and municipal experience, I am finding quite the opposite.

The legislation specifically deals with electrical useage and the uses governing it. It does not address oil, solar, wind, gas etc.

If you were a landlord and had units heated with electric heat, and you just found out you could no longer transfer this cost to new tenants, what steps would you take? Therein lies the answer to the Government's mandate.

Mike

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=MikeMilovick]If you were a landlord and had units heated with electric heat, and you just found out you could no longer transfer this cost to new tenants, what steps would you take? Therein lies the answer to the Government's mandate.

Thanks for the perspective. That does make sense, I suppose, since I would try to convert to a different form of heating if at all possible.

Although, if it isn't possible in all cases, having the person deciding how much energy gets used be the person paying for it gives them the proper incentive to use less. (And keep the windows closed during winter!)

Regards,

Michael

housingrental

Registered
Hi Michael

Perhaps you can send that to the Ontario Government and ask there thoughts.... .:)

[quote user=flyingsquirrel]I have a few questions regarding installing sub meter in a house with main floor and basement renting out to different tenant.

Can I install meters for hydro, water and gas?

How much is it going to cost?

Are those submeters going to be inside the house?

Does anyone know of someone good in doing this in Barrie area with affordable price?

flyingsquirrel

Registered
Wow. I was searching for submetering and my post from 2 years back came up!

I guess not too many people interested in doing this?

Anyway, I am thining of getting a duplex currently with only one set of meters.

It is a legal duplex so it shouldnt be a problem.

If I cannot have the tenant pay for the electical heater, can I have them pay for the electrical water tank?

Ontario government really consider landlord meat waiting for them to slaughter.

Whenever they need money, the first thing come up is to increase property tax.

I came across this from Power Stream. Did anyone tried this?

http://68.179.24.163/PowerStreamES/properties.shtml

flyingsquirrel

Registered
I called enbridge. It is interesting to know that that do not need to run a new line from the street to the property to add an additional meter like many people said.

They will just install another meter beside the current meter. And it is free of charge.

Top Bottom