Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

US Markets

albainstar

Registered
is it crazy to consider buying in the us? There are so many forclosure deals, but is it a deal? so many are saying its the time to buy there at great deals but it scares me..
what are others thinking?

chargerharry

Registered
One thing to consider carefully when buying across the border is how you will structure the deal. Please be very careful here. I`m not an expert so don`t quote me but, as I understand it, the US has estate laws and if you own your property in a personal name and pass away, your entire estate (including Canadian assets) could come into view of the IRS for estate tax which is paid on the entire value, not gains. As I said, I am not an expert, I am just suggesting to find out from someone who is before investing. Good luck.
Harry

samcansam

Registered
Don mentioned few times that the market has not bottomed yet in the US and advised to wait until the fall or later. I would stick with the fundementals and avoid distractions unless you have excess cash and want to get a good deal on a recreational property somewhere warm.

UTCVenturesLtd

Registered
QUOTE (chargerharry @ Mar 3 2008, 03:39 PM) One thing to consider carefully when buying across the border is how you will structure the deal. Please be very careful here. I`m not an expert so don`t quote me but, as I understand it, the US has estate laws and if you own your property in a personal name and pass away, your entire estate (including Canadian assets) could come into view of the IRS for estate tax which is paid on the entire value, not gains. As I said, I am not an expert, I am just suggesting to find out from someone who is before investing. Good luck.
Harry

I think the best way is to create a U.S. Corporation and have any U.S. property in the corporation`s name. Keep the U.S. assets in the U.S. You can have many more shareholders in a U.S. corporation as well. I am trying to be set up and ready to go to buy vacation destination properties for short term rentals within a year with other investors who love travelling down south.
Dean
[email protected]

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Here`s a thread where I posted some CRITICAL facts on this much ballyhooed topic.
US Market Thread

Trust it helps.

gratitudo

Registered
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

If you are patient and look at a fair number of deals then you will find attractive deals. I have worked this market for over 20 years and there are always good deals and bad deals. With the increasing number of foreclosures in single family I am finding apartment rental demand increasing, which is where I specialize. So I see opportunity in these times.

Feel free to contact me if you are coming to S. Calif. or if you are thinking about investing in the area. I am glad to share what I have learned. I don`t concentrate on single family houses, but I am very familiar with apartments and shopping centers.

Michael Duhs
[email protected]
(949) 939-8352
Plurimo Properties

Top Bottom