Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Unfinished Basements Used as Storage (Triplex, 4-Plex)

Nir

REIN Member
Hi Everyone,

I have a triplex with an unfinished basement. no one lives there but tenants do keep their stuff there.
How do you ensure it is not over-loaded? do you actually define an area for each tenant and mention that in each lease?
what are our options if lease does not clearly specify anything about basement use or if tenants have been inherited?

I guess water tank and furnace should never be blocked. any other tips, comments?

THANKS.

housingrental

Registered
Don`t allow new tenants to make use?
You have to now maintain and administer area

For current tenants, how do they access it? Can you email them and old owner on when they started using it and what rent amount for storage space charged? You want it not to be considered an included service.

vandriani

REIN Member
If the basement has common access, create storage areas (like apartments do) and charge extra.

Nir

REIN Member
QUOTE (vandriani @ Mar 11 2010, 11:07 PM) If the basement has common access, create storage areas (like apartments do) and charge extra.
Thanks Vince, an interesting idea. it`s in orillia, not sure if standard in the area "allows" that. I`m considering a few options.

Nir

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Mar 11 2010, 09:15 AM) Don`t allow new tenants to make use?
You have to now maintain and administer area

For current tenants, how do they access it? Can you email them and old owner on when they started using it and what rent amount for storage space charged? You want it not to be considered an included service.

thanks Adam. Good points. it was an estate sale but I will ask one of the older tenants.. I see I do have a few options to choose from.
Regards, Neil

Top Bottom