Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Transfering Properties to my Corporation

JBagorio

Registered
I am planning to transfer my revenue properties that are under my personal name into my corporation. These are well established and performing properties. My goal is to grow my corporation to be in the position to attract investor and to acquire more investment properties under it.
Here are the underlying questions:

[list type=decimal][*]Would this help my company’s financial establishment to be able to attract investors?[*]What are the tax implications?Would I be able to defer the capital gains tax?How did most of you out there made the transition? Or you rather have all in your personal name?[/list type=decimal]

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
If you attract $s through a corporation you immediately are selling a security and fall under the Securities Regulations .. be careful here ! This makes sense only if you envision raising millions by dozens or more individuals as the legal fees alone are $35,000+ !

better to do JVs one-on-one, perhaps held personally or held via a corporation PER JV .. then do larger syndications later once you have some experience !

You have to pay capital gains taxes if there is a gain .. makes no difference if held personally or in a corporation.

There is a rollover provision in the tax act if you move assets held personally into a corporation at fair market value delaying eventual taxes payable !

JV options: Pro`s and Con`s of LP vs. Corporation

http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/General_Discussion/61-10979-JV_vs_Limited_Partnership.html

JBagorio

Registered
Thank you very much Thomas for sharing you time and knowledge! You posts and responses are always a good source of input. One last question if I may….would there be any advantages or disadvantages from rolling over my properties in the corporation?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (JNB @ Apr 30 2010, 03:46 PM) ….would there be any advantages or disadvantages from rolling over my properties in the corporation?
see link above ..

Top Bottom