Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom Tom GPS Device Model #er

JoseTejera

Registered
QUOTE (kopilas @ Nov 24 2007, 02:06 PM) Just in addition to the above post - there is a 2120 version coming out with a price point of $300. It does not include the Live traffic reporting and the Ratings and review features but they can been purchased for $140. All three only available thru future shop.

I thought you wouold mention the Navigon 7100. And as am reading this, I had this unit over the weekend thru my travels from Niagara thru Buffalo to Kingston and back.

Its is a nice unit and althought it has a lot of features and (Yes, an official mileage log <not waypoints> is a bonus). However, I must agreee with the critics on this one...

http://www.gpsreview.net/navigon-7100/

This is my 4th unit testing (courtesy of Futureshop/BestBuy)
It is all true. The screen is difficult to press the keys. The waypoints sometimes don`t make a lot of sense. And the plus is the free traffic navigation. Which alerted my of highway traffic 145km ahead of me. Traffic I never got to see since I exited to take a night of rest. I didn`t get anything on traffic from Kingston untill I reach Yorkdale rd (Duffering and 401). Again, by then, the 2 warnings on a Sunday night were of irrelative traffic some15-30km beyond my arrival point. The trip odometer kept saying I was going 112 when my dial read 118. At 120, it reported 118. Who knows, maybe the unit was calculating the speed at which my inlaws were talking <g>. Memory card (Containing the maps) was difficult to dig in and pull out.

Garmin 360: Pros. Nice device. Small convinient. Accurate mappings and detail. Cannected to my bluetooth blackberry, pulled my contacts over and used the unit as a speaker free in and out of car.
Cons: Trip-o-meter, which can be used as measurement between points is somewhat flaky. I found while parked, it said I was traveling 0.6km/per hour. I figured because my car is old and shakes. Somehow the shake on my dash was messing up the sensor on it. Or it was all a senior moment <g>.

TomTom 720: Pros: Nice device. Bulky for my. Especially to double as an MP3 player. I love the navigation of screens and how quick you can change the views to know where you are, going, and places near by POIs. Can see friends who are at another point and guide myself to them (buddy system). Can update and share my map modifications to world users.
Cons: My blackberry phone cannot pair up with this device. Tomtom site mentions a limited number of phones can be connected to it to interact with bluetooth. No mileage tracking. Traffic watch is another $130 for kit and yearly subscription of 50$.

TomTom ONE XL S: Pros: Again nice unit. Easy to navigate. However, less features available.
Cons: Since this unit builds on the famous ONE model and just released Oct 19, I thought it would have better features available.

In Conclusion:
At the moment I would like to play a little more with the 7100. Especially the free traffic guide. However, I may also be returning it and waiting for the bug fixes or newer release.

If I really needed one for the purpose of traveling across cities, I would stick with the tomtom line. It is truly a simple system and a classic "dont need to read a manual) type of operation.
Perhalps, I would recomment getting the ONE 3G Edition since it has come down in price to about 150CND/120US as of Nov 25,2007. This unit is basic and is the foundation for moving up to the next tomtom. The additional item I would also recommend is getting the traffic kit $130 and service. It is accurate and well worth it.

Please post any questions you have as I think I become very familier with GPS and even helped a BestBuy rep sell 2 units.

Now, I must get back to realty studies and mapping out my next move.

Good luck in your search!

Jose Tejera

Top Bottom