Tip to weed out the smokers that respond to ads that say non - smokers

Sukhi

Registered
Totally puzzeled trying to rent my house in Surrey my listing says no smoking but most calls are from smokers. When the non smokers comes to see the house I can smell a smoke odour - I ask again if they smoke - the common response "no we do not smoke inside, if we do its outside." Yikes!

Now when I get calls for the house I just ask the caller if they smoke inside or outside - if they say niether I go on to my next pre-qualifying questions.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Greetings.

Unfortunately many people in the demographic for Edmonton up/down's smoke, so I have several tenants that are smokers. And out of the large number of smokers to whom I have ever rented, only 2 have smoked in the house. I am allergic and I can tell immediately, and I tell this to prospective tenants before they even see the property.

And because we rent using fixed term leases only (no month-to-month), it was very easy for me to get rid of those two tenants that violated the non-smoking policy.

Sukhi

Registered
Ok so I finaly get a nice couple to rent my property I did ask the husband do you smoke inside or outside the home he said no smoking. So I get the couple to come over to my place to sign the lease - as the husband gets up to leave a pack of smokes falls out of his jacket. I asked him you told me you were a non smoker his reponse "I only smoke while i am at work - non smoker at home" Ok now i heard it all!

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Maybe it's your demographic too. It may be difficult to avoid smokers.

As part of our Welcome package, I included a "Non-Smoking Policy" that clearly outlines my expectation that there will be no smoking within 20 feet of any open door or window. I also have it as a term in my lease that the tenant must initial. That way no one can claim they didn't know they weren't allowed to smoke in the house. (Helpful in court.)

Sukhi

Registered
Thanks Sherilynn, I like the Welcome package that includes the "Non - Smoking Policy". I will start to include with my leases, will also tell my property managers to include this documentation on all new leases they negotiate. Thanks Again!

Sukhi