Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Time to Eat Crow, Stephen Harper

Jack

Registered
-A little over two months ago, Prime Minister Stephen Harper assured Canadians the economy was well placed to deal with the global recession and dismissed talk of budget deficits. That relatively upbeat era is now over, washed away by an ever-widening river of gloom, stark language, pleas for help and relentlessly negative data. -"The truth is, I`ve never seen such uncertainty in terms of looking forward...I`m very worried about the Canadian economy", Harper told CTV Television Monday. "Obviously, we`re going to have to run a deficit".

-His comments further eroded dwindling stocks of optimism in a country where you cannot escape predictions of doom

-Statistics Canada releases a steady stream of downbeat reports and barely a week goes by without an industry group forecasting calamity unless governments step in to help

-Harper`s language has changed
from the moment in mid-September when he dismissed talk of a recession.

(Reuters)

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Jack @ Dec 17 2008, 05:20 PM) -Harper`s language has changed from the moment in mid-September when he dismissed talk of a recession.

[/i](Reuters)
They have changed because the FACTS have changed !

At least he is honest ..

Would you trust a coalition of NDP/Bloc/Liberals ? Would they do a better job with the economy .. and miracously lift the US, China and all of Europe out of a recession ?

btw: Apparently KFC has come with a new bucket to support the new coalition: it will consist only of left wings and bums.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
btw: Apparantly KFC has come with a new bucket to support the new coalition: it will consist only of left wings and bums.

Thomas, I laughed out loud at this! Thanks

Sherilynn

CalvinPeters

Registered
I have never figured out why some people as so against Harper.

As an open-minded Conservative I seriously listen to Politics with an ear to what makes sense...if I felt any other Party had a better solution they would have my support. I have yet to hear a lot from other camps that makes sense to me...and I have yet to hear anything from the Conservatives that I inherantly disagree with. (the Income Trust thing threw me through a loop, but I can get over that one as long as they continue making decisions that better my Country)

Seriously, I am proud of what the Conservatives are doing, and they have my total support.

If Mr. Harper has to eat crow (although I cant see it) I hope he saves me a spot at the table. I think he would make for an interesting dinner companion and I am after all...hungry.

Cheers.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Nukav @ Dec 17 2008, 08:46 PM)

some don't like his politics .. and some think he is too autocratic and other thinks he is too arrogant ..

By forcing the Liberals into a no-win coalition or accepting the budget proposal, he may in fact have decimated the Liberal party enough now even without this (now pulled) proposal to end federal funding for federal parties ! Liberals are struggling to find a voice on the right or the left .. so in a possible spring / summer 2009 election he may actually pull off a majority !

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Dec 17 2008, 09:05 PM) They have changed because the FACTS have changed !

At least he is honest ..

btw: Apparently KFC has come with a new bucket to support the new coalition: it will consist only of left wings and bums.

Honest? I don`t think I`ve ever heard that word used about him before...and I doubt I will again...

But I have to admit - even I laughed out loud (literally!) at the KFC comment.

Have a good one!

JohnS

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (Nukav @ Dec 17 2008, 10:46 PM)

As an open-minded Conservative I seriously listen to Politics with an ear to what makes sense...if I felt any other Party had a better solution they would have my support. I have yet to hear a lot from other camps that makes sense to me...and I have yet to hear anything from the Conservatives that I inherantly disagree with. (the Income Trust thing threw me through a loop, but I can get over that one as long as they continue making decisions that better my Country)

And, I have problems seeing why people like him. I mean, I've said before that I don't have a problem with him on the economy....just on pretty much everything else. I mean, he's insulted large sectors of Canadians, (Quebecers, artists), his ideas of "tough on crime" have been consistently proven to be totally ass-backwards by the experts in the field (even his own experts have talked about that), he's muzzled scientists from speaking about scientific fact, muzzled members of his own party in general, and attacked democracy itself by seeking to eliminate the proliferation of ideas that run contrary to his, he does too many things that are driven by ideology and not by fact (environment, crime, social justice, arts funding), he's lousy on the environment, he pit the economy against the environment when they should have been hand in hand, he's incredibly negative and believes in attacking his opponents while avoiding their ideas, he's proven himself a liar (by ignoring, at least in spirit, his own laws on calling elections), he attacked other leaders for saying there were economic problems and that deficits might be necessary and then says the same thing himself a few months after the election (heck, he's repeatedly attacked his opponents for something, when he has done the same thing himself), and after calling the election himself he only released his platform after millions of Canadians had already voted (thereby further attacking democracy, for what else can you call it when voters can only vote based on your bashing other people without putting forth your own ideas.)

Yeah, there's really nothing there I can admire - but he is ok on the economy. I'll give you that.

Have a good one!

JohnS

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
[quote name=`JohnS` date=`Dec 18 2008, 12:39 AM` post=`45632`]
And, I have problems seeing why people like him. I mean, I`ve said before that I don`t have a problem with him on the economy....just on pretty much everything else. I mean, he`s insulted large sectors of Canadians, (Quebecers, artists), his ideas of "tough on crime" have been consistently proven to be totally ass-backwards by the experts in the field (even his own experts have talked about that), he`s muzzled scientists from speaking about scientific fact, muzzled members of his own party in general, and attacked democracy itself by seeking to eliminate the proliferation of ideas that run contrary to his, he does too many things that are driven by ideology and not by fact (environment, crime, social justice, arts funding), he`s lousy on the environment, he pit the economy against the environment when they should have been hand in hand, he`s incredibly negative and believes in attacking his opponents while avoiding their ideas, he`s proven himself a liar (by ignoring, at least in spirit, his own laws on calling elections), he attacked other leaders for saying there were economic problems and that deficits might be necessary and then says the same thing himself a few months after the election (heck, he`s repeatedly attacked his opponents for something, when he has done the same thing himself), and after calling the election himself he only released his platform after millions of Canadians had already voted (thereby further attacking democracy, for what else can you call it when voters can only vote based on your bashing other people without putting forth your own ideas.)

Yeah, there`s really nothing there I can admire - but he is ok on the economy. I`ll give you that.

Have a good one!

Tough on crime is not ass backwards soft on crime is! let me ask you, How does crime look in singapore where they are tough or mabey in New York where mayor Rudy implimented the `broken windows theory"? The liberals fared pretty bad on environment not to mention all the times they have proven them selves to be liars. I find it funny how you pat yourself on the back thinking you have good arguements which praise the liberals and bash Harper. I dont think you are bad guy for not liking him , I dont agree with everything he has done as well but to point out all his faults and then put on blinders to the faults of the liberals does not give much credibility to your arguements.

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (stephen @ Dec 18 2008, 02:11 AM)
Tough on crime is not ass backwards soft on crime is! let me ask you, How does crime look in singapore where they are tough or mabey in New York where mayor Rudy implimented the 'broken windows theory"? The liberals fared pretty bad on environment not to mention all the times they have proven them selves to be liars. I find it funny how you pat yourself on the back thinking you have good arguements which praise the liberals and bash Harper. I dont think you are bad guy for not liking him , I dont agree with everything he has done as well but to point out all his faults and then put on blinders to the faults of the liberals does not give much credibility to your arguements.

1) Tough on crime has been proven, repeatedly, by criminologists all over the Western world, not to work. It's pretty much entirely based on the concept that if we increase the punishment, it will deter people from committing crimes, as the risk won't be worth the reward. However, NOBODY commits a crime thinking that they're going to be caught. If they're not going to be caught, then what does the punishment matter? As soon as you can answer that question, then tough on crime policies might...MIGHT...have a chance of working. That's the main problem with those kinds of policies. We can add to the problems, though, and numerous studies have done so. Like, a large percentage of crimes (I believe it's a majority, but I could be wrong about that) have some relation to drugs...as in, the person is addicted and needs a fix. When you're in that kind of situation, thinking calmly and rationally, weighing the pro's and cons, is the furthest thing from possibility. And if they're not going to think about the possible ramifications of their actions, there can be no deterrence factor. And there's more reasons that further compound why tough on crime policies have proven to be insane - any research at all can turn up tons of evidence. But Harper isn't interested in evidence, he's interested in his ideology. That, and insulting and attacking anyone that tries to approach the situation rationally and has examined the research. Talking about such approaches as being "soft on crime" just shows that you've bought into the attack ads and propaganda, and aren't willing to seriously address the issues, and I think it's about time our Prime Minister seriously addressed them.

2) I don't think I talked about the Liberals at all - I was talking about Harper's failings, as someone directly stated that they didn't understand why people disliked him. Not his party, but him. I'm not a lifelong liberal by any means, and although I did vote for them in the last election, I think it was the first time I voted Liberal federally in my life, but it might just be the first time in a long time. But to say that the Liberals have lied a lot too....When did Dion, Rae, or Ignatieff lie in the last 6-8 years? I wasn't talking about what some long-dead Conservative lied about...I was directly talking about what the leader of the party did. Now, I'm assuming that you'll be able to find some about the Liberal leaders (or recent contenders) - I've never stated otherwise. However, Harper's campaign was based on lies, whereas the Liberals was based on ideas. There really is no denying that. You might hate the Liberals' ideas, but at least they had some and tried to discuss them. (And the ideas were released to the public before they voted!)

3) The Liberals and the Environment. Yes, there were definitely problems here. Of course there were. But Harper has been declared the worst leader by different environmental groups, whereas Dion was lauded by them, when he was the Minister of the Environment. Unfortunately, he wasn't that Minister for long enough to have real impact, but different groups have repeatedly said that he was very good. As for his (hated, and much maligned) Green Shift - he had hundreds of economists and environmentalists on his side, saying that he had the best plan to combat the problems without destroying the economy. He had policies that have already been proven to work in different countries. Harper had....talking attack ads at gas stations months before the election was called.

4) As for patting myself on the back...I hadn't before, but I am now. I mean, for pretty much every point I've made, I provided evidence. I don't remember seeing much at all in your post. So, I'm feeling fine that way, actually, but I'm glad that I was able to amuse you that way, somehow!

<

As I said, I never used to be Liberal. But, after critically examining the ideas and supporting evidence of the different parties, I am one federally. That might change, depending on what Ignatieff does. And, I'm not really one provincially either. I mean, McGuinty does some of the same things that I don't like about Harper. He has ideologies or policies that totally fly in the face of insurmountable evidence, and I don't know if he does that because he truly believes in it or because it's an easy sell to the voters. As the main example here, I'm thinking of Ontario's policies on rent control. Most people here have seen the evidence that rent control doesn't work, and that it actually hurts society as a whole. Yet, Ontario has it, and I can't see us losing it anytime soon, no matter what the evidence says. To me, that just flies in the face of logic, no matter who does it, Liberal or Conservative, provincial or federal, McGuinty or Harper.

Have a good one!

JohnS

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (stephen @ Dec 18 2008, 02:11 AM) ...you have good arguements which praise the liberals and bash Harper...

...but to point out all his faults and then put on blinders to the faults of the liberals does not give much credibility to your arguements....

Yeah, I just doublechecked my previous post. At no point did I ever praise the Liberals, or even talk about them. I also didn`t bring up the NDP. I made no mention of the Greens, and I totally ignored the Rhinoes. I never talked about any of their policies or leaders at all. However, there is a reason for that - someone had stated that they didn`t understand why people didn`t like Harper, and I was directly answering that.

It`s funny, but I didn`t realize that by talking about the person someone else brought up, and by not talking about parties we weren`t talking about, I had "blinders" on. I just thought I was answering the question that was asked....

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

Jack

Registered
QUOTE They have changed because the FACTS have changed !There`s an old saying on leadership that I think applies nicely in this case - a leader has the right to be defeated, but never surprised.

Harper and Flaherty were certainly on their high-horses a few months ago, talking about Canada being recession-proof, in great shape to weather the storm, a safe haven amongst uncertain economies, etc. Although the facts were all right there
, right between the lines, that we were heading down with the rest of the world, and that our economy and banking system was very likely just lagging the other G7 nations` (we`re Canada - never the first at or to do anything), but they basically just chose to ignore it and sell to Canadians that we`re in such great shape. Come to think of it, this is around the time when people around here started calling me "negative" for having the views that I did. So, evidently, a number of REIN members bought what he was selling, too.

Anyway, fast forward a couple months, and - UH OH!
- we`re in scary territory. What a shocker! For those two clowns to come out a couple months later and essentially say uh, gee, yeah, things actually are pretty bad out here, forget what we said a couple months ago, we`re in trouble is pretty laughable. To me, it`s just quite satisfying to see them admit their short-sightedness/arrogance on the Canadian economy so quickly after voicing their confidence upon it.

I`m not debating on whether or not they`re the best political party to assist with the economy, I`m saying that they`re both pretty stupid to have not seen this coming and it`s really nice to see them have to stand up and eat crow in front of the whole country/world. Canada is
not, and never was
, "recession-proof", we`re an exporting nation who`s performance is pretty much directly tied to the U.S.`s and lagged by 6 - 12 months.

As Nelson Muntz would say to those two - HA - HA!

ZanderRobertson

Registered
maybe harper and flaherty are positive thinkers who don't want to dwell on the negative.hehehe

QUOTE (Jack @ Dec 18 2008, 11:36 AM)
There's an old saying on leadership that I think applies nicely in this case - a leader has the right to be defeated, but never surprised.

Harper and Flaherty were certainly on their high-horses a few months ago, talking about Canada being recession-proof, in great shape to weather the storm, a safe haven amongst uncertain economies, etc. Although the facts were all right there, right between the lines, that we were heading down with the rest of the world, and that our economy and banking system was very likely just lagging the other G7 nations' (we're Canada - never the first at or to do anything), but they basically just chose to ignore it and sell to Canadians that we're in such great shape. Come to think of it, this is around the time when people around here started calling me "negative" for having the views that I did. So, evidently, a number of REIN members bought what he was selling, too.

Anyway, fast forward a couple months, and - UH OH! - we're in scary territory. What a shocker! For those two clowns to come out a couple months later and essentially say uh, gee, yeah, things actually are pretty bad out here, forget what we said a couple months ago, we're in trouble is pretty laughable. To me, it's just quite satisfying to see them admit their short-sightedness/arrogance on the Canadian economy so quickly after voicing their confidence upon it.

I'm not debating on whether or not they're the best political party to assist with the economy, I'm saying that they're both pretty stupid to have not seen this coming and it's really nice to see them have to stand up and eat crow in front of the whole country/world. Canada is
not, and never was
, "recession-proof", we're an exporting nation who's performance is pretty much directly tied to the U.S.'s and lagged by 6 - 12 months.

As Nelson Muntz would say to those two - HA - HA!

ZanderRobertson

Registered
The fundamental difference between right and left (in my opinion):

1) right wing thinkers put responsibility back on the individual
2) left wing thinkers posit some "force" which "causes" people to act in a certain way

I`ve been addicted before, I smoked for 14 years. I have not smoked for the past 3 years because I chose to quit. The addiction was not some force which controlled me, it was something I submitted to by choice. Everyone I know who just can`t seem to quit smoking always blames the "addiction".

Saying that criminals can`t help themselves because they`re addicted really helps them justify their CHOSEN actions.

Being tough on crime is, in my opinion, more about placing responsibily on the person who commits the crime than anything else.

QUOTE (JohnS @ Dec 18 2008, 12:57 AM) 1) Tough on crime has been proven, repeatedly, by criminologists all over the Western world, not to work. It`s pretty much entirely based on the concept that if we increase the punishment, it will deter people from committing crimes, as the risk won`t be worth the reward. However, NOBODY commits a crime thinking that they`re going to be caught. If they`re not going to be caught, then what does the punishment matter? As soon as you can answer that question, then tough on crime policies might...MIGHT...have a chance of working. That`s the main problem with those kinds of policies. We can add to the problems, though, and numerous studies have done so. Like, a large percentage of crimes (I believe it`s a majority, but I could be wrong about that) have some relation to drugs...as in, the person is addicted and needs a fix. When you`re in that kind of situation, thinking calmly and rationally, weighing the pro`s and cons, is the furthest thing from possibility. And if they`re not going to think about the possible ramifications of their actions, there can be no deterrence factor. And there`s more reasons that further compound why tough on crime policies have proven to be insane - any research at all can turn up tons of evidence. But Harper isn`t interested in evidence, he`s interested in his ideology. That, and insulting and attacking anyone that tries to approach the situation rationally and has examined the research. Talking about such approaches as being "soft on crime" just shows that you`ve bought into the attack ads and propaganda, and aren`t willing to seriously address the issues, and I think it`s about time our Prime Minister seriously addressed them.

2) I don`t think I talked about the Liberals at all - I was talking about Harper`s failings, as someone directly stated that they didn`t understand why people disliked him. Not his party, but him. I`m not a lifelong liberal by any means, and although I did vote for them in the last election, I think it was the first time I voted Liberal federally in my life, but it might just be the first time in a long time. But to say that the Liberals have lied a lot too....When did Dion, Rae, or Ignatieff lie in the last 6-8 years? I wasn`t talking about what some long-dead Conservative lied about...I was directly talking about what the leader of the party did. Now, I`m assuming that you`ll be able to find some about the Liberal leaders (or recent contenders) - I`ve never stated otherwise. However, Harper`s campaign was based on lies, whereas the Liberals was based on ideas. There really is no denying that. You might hate the Liberals` ideas, but at least they had some and tried to discuss them. (And the ideas were released to the public before they voted!)

3) The Liberals and the Environment. Yes, there were definitely problems here. Of course there were. But Harper has been declared the worst leader by different environmental groups, whereas Dion was lauded by them, when he was the Minister of the Environment. Unfortunately, he wasn`t that Minister for long enough to have real impact, but different groups have repeatedly said that he was very good. As for his (hated, and much maligned) Green Shift - he had hundreds of economists and environmentalists on his side, saying that he had the best plan to combat the problems without destroying the economy. He had policies that have already been proven to work in different countries. Harper had....talking attack ads at gas stations months before the election was called.

4) As for patting myself on the back...I hadn`t before, but I am now. I mean, for pretty much every point I`ve made, I provided evidence. I don`t remember seeing much at all in your post. So, I`m feeling fine that way, actually, but I`m glad that I was able to amuse you that way, somehow!

As I said, I never used to be Liberal. But, after critically examining the ideas and supporting evidence of the different parties, I am one federally. That might change, depending on what Ignatieff does. And, I`m not really one provincially either. I mean, McGuinty does some of the same things that I don`t like about Harper. He has ideologies or policies that totally fly in the face of insurmountable evidence, and I don`t know if he does that because he truly believes in it or because it`s an easy sell to the voters. As the main example here, I`m thinking of Ontario`s policies on rent control. Most people here have seen the evidence that rent control doesn`t work, and that it actually hurts society as a whole. Yet, Ontario has it, and I can`t see us losing it anytime soon, no matter what the evidence says. To me, that just flies in the face of logic, no matter who does it, Liberal or Conservative, provincial or federal, McGuinty or Harper.

Have a good one!

JohnS

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
1) Im not sure all criminologists agree that tough on crime does not work. Im sure much of it is in the way it is implimented. I have not bought into propaganda, you only need to look back a few decades to present to see there has been a social break down in peoples values in general. I do agree with the "broken windows theory" here is only a small exerpt from wikipedia,

New York City
Thus, Giuliani`s "zero tolerance" roll out was part of an interlocking set of wider reforms, crucial parts of which had been underway since 1985. Giuliani had the police even more strictly enforce the law against subway fare evasion, and stopped public drinkers, urinators, and the "squeegee men" who had been wiping windshields of stopped cars and demanding payment. Rates of both petty and serious crime fell suddenly and significantly, and continued to drop for the following ten years (see: the 2001 study of crime trends in New York by George Kelling and William Sousa).[sup][3]"zero tolerance" roll out was part of an interlocking set of wider reforms, crucial parts of which had been underway since 1985. Giuliani had the police even more strictly enforce the law against subway fare evasion, and stopped public drinkers, urinators, and the "squeegee men" who had been wiping windshields of stopped cars and demanding payment. Rates of both petty and serious crime fell suddenly and significantly, and continued to drop for the following ten years (see: the 2001 study of crime trends in New York by George Kelling and William Sousa).[3]
[/sup]
The problem with the idea of "soft on crime" is that it can take away consequences of someones bad behaviour. eventually if you can associate bad actions with pain, you will not want to continue. I do beleive in a reward/rehabilitation system to deter crime as well but I dont think you can have one without the other.

But to say that the Liberals have lied a lot too....When did Dion, Rae, or Ignatieff lie in the last 6-8 years?

How can I take your "evidence" seriously when you say things like this? During the election Dion said he would not try to make a back room deal with the NDP, or form a coalition government. Thats on just off the top of my head. and it happened only a few months ago.

3) The Liberals and the Environment. Yes, there were definitely problems here. Of course there were. But Harper has been declared the worst leader by different environmental groups, whereas Dion was lauded by them, when he was the Minister of the Environment. Unfortunately, he wasn`t that Minister for long enough to have real impact, but different groups have repeatedly said that he was very good. As for his (hated, and much maligned) Green Shift - he had hundreds of economists and environmentalists on his side, saying that he had the best plan to combat the problems without destroying the economy. He had policies that have already been proven to work in different countries. Harper had....talking attack ads at gas stations months before the election was called.

Like i said, I dont agree with everythink Harper has done but to paint him worse on the environment than the liberals is a little much when the liberals allowed CO2 emissions to rise 27%, having promised to reduce them by 6% from 1990 levels.

4) As for patting myself on the back...I hadn`t before, but I am now.

here is an old post of yours that i may remind you of "Someone, I believe it was Stephen (but I`m not sure, as I was kind of debating with a handful of people at the same time) brought up the possibility of funding a terrorist party. I think I addressed that pretty well"

If memory recalls you told me that that would never happen in this universe and we should get back to the real world. not a question not addressed very well I may add.

I mean, for pretty much every point I`ve made, I provided evidence.
I think we are mistaking evidence for opinions. I can randomly pick a point you have made which you call evidence and show you this is only a statement based on someones opinion. for instance to tell me that Criminologist all over the western word say that tough on crime does not work, I can tell you that criminologists all over the western world say that tough on crime does work, "broke windows"

anyway its fun debating you
keep up the good work,

ps hope you dont mind that my spell check isnt turned on

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Dec 18 2008, 12:56 PM)
The fundamental difference between right and left (in my opinion):

2) left wing thinkers posit some "force" which "causes" people to act in a certain way

I've been addicted before, I smoked for 14 years. I have not smoked for the past 3 years because I chose to quit. The addiction was not some force which controlled me, it was something I submitted to by choice. Everyone I know who just can't seem to quit smoking always blames the "addiction".

Saying that criminals can't help themselves because they're addicted really helps them justify their CHOSEN actions.

Being tough on crime is, in my opinion, more about placing responsibily on the person who commits the crime than anything else.

Very well said!

CalvinPeters

Registered
QUOTE (JohnS @ Dec 17 2008, 11:39 PM) And, I have problems seeing why people like him. I mean, I`ve said before that I don`t have a problem with him on the economy....just on pretty much everything else. I mean, he`s insulted large sectors of Canadians, (Quebecers, artists), his ideas of "tough on crime" have been consistently proven to be totally ass-backwards by the experts in the field (even his own experts have talked about that), he`s muzzled scientists from speaking about scientific fact, muzzled members of his own party in general, and attacked democracy itself by seeking to eliminate the proliferation of ideas that run contrary to his, he does too many things that are driven by ideology and not by fact (environment, crime, social justice, arts funding), he`s lousy on the environment, he pit the economy against the environment when they should have been hand in hand, he`s incredibly negative and believes in attacking his opponents while avoiding their ideas, he`s proven himself a liar (by ignoring, at least in spirit, his own laws on calling elections), he attacked other leaders for saying there were economic problems and that deficits might be necessary and then says the same thing himself a few months after the election (heck, he`s repeatedly attacked his opponents for something, when he has done the same thing himself), and after calling the election himself he only released his platform after millions of Canadians had already voted (thereby further attacking democracy, for what else can you call it when voters can only vote based on your bashing other people without putting forth your own ideas.)

Yeah, there`s really nothing there I can admire - but he is ok on the economy. I`ll give you that.

Have a good one!

JohnS

While I am glad to see another side of the discussion, I am somewhat amused that most of the offensive stuff in there...I completely agree with.

Cheers!

CarlaJohnson

Registered
QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Dec 18 2008, 02:56 PM) The fundamental difference between right and left (in my opinion):

I would put it a different way.

1. Right wing thinkers put responsibility on the individual.
2. Left wing thinkers put responsibility on the community.

Both world views are essential.

terri

Registered
Not that I claim to know much about politics, but my take on the polical scene is that come january Harper will compromise enough to prevent a coalition government from taking over, but before long we will have another election because he has lost confidence and support and watch out Harper because Micheal Ignatieff ( can`t even spell, far less pronounce his name) is just what the Liberals need right now. He`s well spoken, charismatic, and wordly. On tv interviews he comes across as intelligent, humble and trustworthy. The liberals really have Harper to thank for this, if he didn`t piss so many people off, there wouldn`t have been the threat of a coalition gov`t and Dion wouldn`t have stepped down so soon.

Terri

mcgregok

Registered
I think Steven Harper should come back to Alberta and run for President. He got my vote!

wealthyboomer

Registered
If your business hires people, would you hire someone who lies?
Would you keep that person(s) employed, when during their employment interview they stated all the things they would do for your company, and then they reneged on those commitments?

Top Bottom