Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Thinking about buying Multi-Family

CarrieKoch

Registered
My husband and I are kind of capped out at what we can do as we are both self-employed and only for 1 yr in these fields. We have our LOCs used up in our first duplex.

We are considering selling our primary home to move into the duplex. Then taking the equity from our primary to put down a 10% down payment on a multifamily. The owner is offering 10% VTB as well.

We talked to the bank and they are willing to consider us for this purchase if we can have between 15-25%.

I`m wondering what we should consider in regards to a large purchase like this? We really wanted to stick with smaller buildings but I think due to our income we will be limited as to what we can buy as we need so much income for the bank to use as they won`t consider all the rental income on small units.

The building is close enough for us to manage easily at this time. I think it`s great that we may be able to get something so big so early on but of course i`m cautious about what this does for us in the next 5 years...will it stall other purchases? What if something big goes wrong? What if we can`t sell it in 5 yrs and can`t finance it?

Would you do it if you were in our shoes? Would you not? Building has had most major repairs done aside from windows. All units are upgraded. Hubby is very handy so fixing and doing more improvements not an issue. And I already rent the units in the building so I know all about that.

Nir

REIN Member
It`s a personal decision to sell your own home and move to a duplex. Business-wise it can be a GREAT move IF you ensure your passive income increases significantly, minimum by $1,000/month net income! (more than average in order to "compensate" you guys for the effort). How many units are in the multifamily? Again, just ensure an above average CAP and let Greg `invst4profit` analyze the property for you before you purchase. His conservative and realistic approach will minimize disappointments later. Good luck.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
I am confused .. you wish to move to a duplex and also buy a multi-family asset ? how big ? with 20% down ?

or do you consider a duplex a multi-family building ?

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Aug 18 2009, 10:25 PM)
I am confused .. you wish to move to a duplex and also buy a multi-family asset ? how big ? with 20% down ?

I think they are planning to sell their personal residence and move into one suite of a duplex they already own. Then, they could take the cash from the sale of their personal residence and use it as a down payment for a multi family property.

If the deal for the multi-family works, this could be a great idea, assuming you are willing to put up with a decrease in your standard of living. I would consider the multi-family purchase very conservatively, to make sure you stay out of trouble.

Micahel

Nir

REIN Member
Carrie, is your current LOC limit + current mortgage principal higher than what you believe you can sell it for? hopefully yes, otherwise, I`m afraid there is some confusion here. Neil

CarrieKoch

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Aug 19 2009, 12:25 AM)

Yes sell personal, move to the duplex we already own. buy 9 units. (we have 2 options with that 15% cmhc or 10% ours, 15% vtb)

CarrieKoch

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Aug 19 2009, 02:03 PM)
Carrie, is your current LOC limit + current mortgage principal higher than what you believe you can sell it for? hopefully yes, otherwise, I'm afraid there is some confusion here. Neil

we used personal LOC's not HELOC's on our duplex purchase. So we still have about $70000 if we sell our personal residence.

Top Bottom