Tenant troubles

canadablue

Registered
May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi
Just wondering if anybody can offer some opinion on this:

Tenant left about 14 months ago. Did not give notice at all and did not pay rent in full. I was notified by other tenants that that tenant seems to be moving out. Tenant had hydro on her name. Left some stuff and garbage in the apartmant. Never returned keys.
I called hydro and asked if tenant cancelled her account and was told that they can`t give me any information (privacy) but when tenant calls in to cancel that hydro will automatically go on property owners name. In the meantime new tenant moved in next month and transferd hydro on her name and paying regulary.
Old tenant called me today (14 months after I last saw her) and told me that me or new tenant run up her hydro bill and that she needs me to confirm the date when she moved out so hydro can get that off her bill. I suspect that her hydro bill in unpaid from the time she lived there plus all the interest owing for the last year. I told her that it was her responsibility to notify hydro when she moved out and that I can`t help her with that. she became offensive and said that she will sue me.
Any advice on this would be helpfull. Should I seek legal counsel?
I am new landlord ( 2 years) and slowly learning the ropes. Thank you.

Dec 10, 2007
Calgary
What province and city are you in? Has the tenant changed again (do you still have contact with the tenant who wasn`t paying the bill)?

Many people threaten to sue to get a reaction, but will she actually and does she have a case. I really don`t see how she can. We don`t have the ability to cut utilities in someone`s name. I think this is an empty threat with no recourse.

I`d wait till she actually sues (unlikely) before seeking a lawyer.

bizaro86

Registered
Jan 29, 2008
Calgary, AB
If she contacts you again, tell her she`d be welcome to sue you, as you`d very much like to have the opportunity to file a counterclaim for unpaid rent, and damages due to condition and re-key costs, as well as recoup your attorney fees when you are successful.

Michael

brentdavies

Registered
Aug 31, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
" I gave my girlfriend my credit card, and she ran up the card to the max, so she is responsible, not me! "

What do you think the bank will say, sorry, "you don`t have to pay."

I been waiting for 25 years for a tenant to sue me for their stupidity. Have not lost any sleep over it. For my mistakes that is a different matter.

Be honest with the tenant on the move out date, if the information is readily available, otherwise move on and spend your energy to finding the best tenant for great rental property.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Oct 22, 2007
Edmonton
www.qdhomequest.com
I would think that the official move-out date would be the date that you discovered the premises were vacant. At my last RTDRS hearing, the officer had no objection to me charging rental arrears for the days that I did not know the suite was vacant since the tenant gave no indication that she would be moving.

Regards,
Sherilynn

canadablue

Registered
May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your insights.
I beleive that this tenant just want somebody else to pay her bill. As for the move out date, I would have to estimate and I
agree that it would be the day I discovered that the apartment was abandoned.

Every day I learn a new lesson and I agree that finding the right tenant is worth so much more on the long run.
Also, the more I learn the more I discover that Board is really not doing much for landlord`s protection.

Again, thanks for your answers.

QUOTE (canadablue @ May 18 2010, 01:07 PM) ..
Any advice on this would be helpfull. ...
tell her the dates as best as you can .. and ask in return for her address so you can send her a bill for unpaid rent and damages.

Move on .. to more productive tasks such as: find more investors and better/more equity building properties to purchase !