Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tax Question

MikeMcC874

Registered
Hi All,

I expanded my vast empire to 2 properties back in June. Now i need to figure out how to sort my taxes.

I get that expenses for property A are allocated towards property A and so on and that I file a seperate form for each property. What I am unsure of is items that are not directed expenses. Say I buy a book or a lawn mower that is used for 'both properties'.

How is the allocated?

Even split?

Revenue Ratio?

My choice?

Thanks

Mike

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Congratulations. Going from one to 2 properties is100% growth. Assuming you hold income properties personally ( and not in a corporation ) you add general business expenses on your personal tax return in the main section, not in the property form ( one form per property). For expenses that are solely for properties split them 50/50 or 60/40 on each form or whatever is actual and reasonable. A lawn mower may be a capital item and thus only depreciated over its useful life, say 4 years.

MikeMcC874

Registered
Thanks Thomas.

So I can apply those expenses against my earned income from regular employment and still use CCA to bring my RE earnings to zero on each property?

Thanks

Mike

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
For expenses that are solely for properties split them 50/50 or 60/40 on each form or whatever is actual and reasonable. A lawn mower may be a capital item and thus only depreciated over its useful life, say 4 years.

Top Bottom