Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Superintendent lost laundry money

WSJ

REIN Member
Hello everyone,

My superintendent collected laundry money, and deposited into his own account. At the end of last month, he withdrew the money from the bank. He claimed that the money was stolen as his car was broken into that night same. Should he be responsible for the lost money? Can we deduct that from his salary?

Thank you for your input.

mikecunning

REIN Member
QUOTE (WSJ @ Dec 19 2007, 07:46 PM) Hello everyone,

My superintendent collected laundry money, and deposited into his own account. At the end of last month, he withdrew the money from the bank. He claimed that the money was stolen as his car was broken into that night same. Should he be responsible for the lost money? Can we deduct that from his salary?

As he is your employee...you are vicariously liable on one hand...and on the other, these are the joys of having staff...now, having said that, it sounds like BS...I don`t know how many times I have heard this one before...man, do they think we were born yesterday...FIRED
style_emoticons

Ask him for a copy of the police report (what, he hasn`t file one? surprise!) In that case, make sure he files one and tell him you will need to him to swear an affidavit ...watch him sweat! Your insurance may actually cover you for theft/employee dishonesty...so please check...

JeffSmith

Registered
I believe that this is more of a character and relationship question rather than a money issue.
I would ask the super what he or she thinks should be done.

If the super takes responsibility for the loss of the money and is sincere in the repayment of the money than I would consider a compromise and perhaps suggest that he need only repay 50%. and you will cover the rest.

This action will build his confidence in his abilities and reinforce the relationship.

However if you think that he is not sincere than I would start looking for a new super.
When it comes to money you need to take control of it or similar occurences may happen again.

I would also have the monies deposited in the building account for the property or collect the cash myself. That way this problem would not occur again.

Nir

REIN Member
Hello WSJ and Mike, I may have to manage the same issue in the future. Is there no other, safer, way to collect laundry money without having a tenant or superintendent touch your money? (i.e. increase the capacity the coin box somehow so it can collect more coins and you can come take the money once every 3 months instead everymonth)? THANKS ps. I`m talking about small size business up to 10 units. more than that obviously you need a biger team.

JeffSmith

Registered
Good question,
Does anyone know if there is a card system in place? Such as a pay as you go plan etc. PIN #`s?

PaulPoulsen

Registered
We own units in a couple of buildings that use the SmartCity system from Coinamatic.

http://www.coinamatic.com/coinamatic_group...city/index.html

Tenants get a refillable card that they use to do laundry. They also get a list of locations around the city where they can add money to their card. It works great. There`s no money onsite so there are fewer break ins (no coins in the machines). And there`s no cash for a manager to lose.

All in all, I`ve been very happy with the service.

invst4profit

Registered
The issue in question here has very little to do with how you collect the money. What this really boils down to is do you trust your employees. The simple fact that they say they left your money in there car unattended makes them 100% responsible for it`s return to you.
I would give this person two options either pay you the money owing or terminate there employment.
If you believe they stole the money don`t give them a chance to do it again terminate them immediately explaining you can not have irresponsible people managing your money.

NickStewart

Registered
One small word of caution - just as everyone one on REINSpace says you should speak to your accountant to confirm the advice you hear about tax issues, etc., the same holds true for legal issues. This is really an employment issue and you would do well to speak to an employment lawyer about what it is you intend to do, and the proper way to do it.

My understanding of the law is that unless you have a document signed by the person saying that they are responsible for any lost money AND that you are entitled to deduct same from their wages, you are NOT legally entitled to withhold anything from the money you owe them. This may vary by jurisdiction, but that`s how it was explained to me about the Alberta Employment Standards Code. The examples used were wait-staff in a restaurant who "lose" some of their float or an employee who is being let go but still owes the company for a loan they received. Without the express written consent to withhold, you are obligated to provide them with their pay, and then take up the matter of money owing to you in another manner, such as small claims court.

Also - in my humble opinion - the "how" of what you do is every bit as important as the "what" you do. Your chances of getting dragged into some kind of BS legal issue increase proportionately with the negativity of your attitude towards the person. You are a business person, behave in a professional manner.

Even if you believe the person is an outright thief, what extra benefit do you get (besides maybe a little personal satisfaction) by treating this as anything but a business issue? Treat it as a performance issue, determine if the performance issue is worthy of termination based on a careful and reasoned analysis of the employee`s history with you and your own evaluation of the facts of the situation at hand (such as the aforementioned suggestion of finding out if there is a police report), and then act on your evaluation in a PROFESSIONAL manner.

(Again, my suggestion is to run it past legal counsel before you act, but if the history and facts support dismissal and you don`t intend to withhold anything from final pay, that may not be necessary).

Remember - even if you are completely in the right, you can still be sued and have to spend money defending, even if they won`t be successful in suing you.

My $0.02 as someone who deals with employment issues a lot...

JeffSmith

Registered
QUOTE (PaulPoulsen @ Dec 20 2007, 12:15 AM) We own units in a couple of buildings that use the SmartCity system from Coinamatic.

http://www.coinamatic.com/coinamatic_group...city/index.html

Tenants get a refillable card that they use to do laundry. They also get a list of locations around the city where they can add money to their card. It works great. There`s no money onsite so there are fewer break ins (no coins in the machines). And there`s no cash for a manager to lose.

All in all, I`ve been very happy with the service.

Thanks for the info Paul. These forums are absolutely great for sharing info.

timk519

Registered
If the other deposit options don`t play out, talk to your bank about a "Deposit-only" bank card. That way whoever collects the money can deposit to your account it right away, but not take any money out.

GarthChapman

Registered
The deposit-only card also has an option where you can have it set so the party you give it to cannot even see the balance in the account, and can only make deposits to the account.

Would love to hear from the original Poster how he handled this issue with his Super...

WSJ

REIN Member
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Dec 22 2007, 09:39 AM) Would love to hear from the original Poster how he handled this issue with his Super...

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for giving your opinions.

I agree with Nick that this should be handled in a professional way. I am thinking to treat the lost laundry money and the bonus as different matters.

As for the super, he resigned after his request was turned down for the first time. He knew he was important as we were very far away. He thought he would get his way as usual. He had also told other people he would be reinstated. However, everything has a limit. Much to his surprise, we accepted and have a new super.

There were a lot happened before and after. But way too much to write down...easily a chapter book.

We have practiced on 4-plexes and 6-plexes before getting into real MF. But the difference is still big. For single family or multi-plexes, you are managing properties. But for apartment buildings, you are managing people.

Sounds simple, but very important to remember to hire supers who are
1. Honest
2. With good and regular communications
3. Will keep clean and complete paper trail - receipts and report...
Just to name a few.

I would appreciate more feedbacks on my original questions. By the way, the buildings are in Ontario. The laws may be different regarding to this matter.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Wen Jiang

CalvinPeters

Registered
on my building we just switched to a token system...my thoughts being that it would be cheaper to have the super rip us off occasionally than to have to have to replace the money boxes on the machines (hundreds of dollars) again. This is the first time I have heard about a card system, and like it. Must look into that one after the season.

cheers, calvin

Haimr

Registered
QUOTE (timk519 @ Dec 21 2007, 10:49 PM) If the other deposit options don`t play out, talk to your bank about a "Deposit-only" bank card. That way whoever collects the money can deposit to your account it right away, but not take any money out.

Hi Tim,

I am very interesting in "Deposit-only" bank card can you tell which bank you are working using this method.

Haim Rabinoviz

JPAQ

Registered
QUOTE (WSJ @ Dec 19 2007, 08:46 PM) Hello everyone,

Wow Sorry to hear that Mike. I think this person just showed his or her true colors. In this game it is very important to build a strong team. You what people who you can trust and depend upon too help take you to the next level. Congratulations you have just found a weak link!! Replace this person with someone who you can trust and you can build a top notch business relationship with. If you keep sticky fingers around you are only going to wonder what else this person is stealing from you, your family, and your investors.

I hope this helps you make the right decision

Jason Paquette

WSJ

REIN Member
QUOTE (JPAQ @ Dec 24 2007, 10:46 PM) ...Congratulations you have just found a weak link!! Replace this person with someone who you can trust and you can build a top notch business relationship with.

I like the way you put it. Look at something negative from a positive angle.

Cheers,

Wen Jiang

JPAQ

Registered
QUOTE (WSJ @ Dec 25 2007, 02:33 PM) I like the way you put it. Look at something negative from a positive angle.

Cheers,

Wen Jiang

Thanks for the complement Wen

Cheers

Jason

Top Bottom