Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Student rental tips/suggestions

mike6160

Registered
I just wanted to pass on some suggestions with respect to rental properties targeting students near universities/college. Hopefully some of this helps as we have done some trial and error to get it right.....

1. If possible find a single home which can be converted into a duplex by renovating the basement. Instant equity increase when appraisal is complete after the work is done.

2. Rent each room individually instead of by "apartment"

3. Have an "apartment" manager.... Find the most responsible tenant on each floor and empower them by creating the manager position responsible for all activities in his apartment. Give him/her a $50.00 a month rent break, but they are now responsible to keep the other tenants in line. This has worked quite well so far

4. Split your tenant agreements 50/50. We have half of our tenants on a May to May agreement and the other half on a Sept to Sept agreement. This ensures you will have consistant cash flow the entire year, and not left sitting with 15 empty rooms.

5. Recruit your tenants to find you replacements when they are leaving school. We offer a $75.00 finders fee to the tenants who can replace themselves. This cuts into our bottom line however we do not have any vacancies.

6. Tenant selection - target students who are completing challenging courses, engineer etc. They will be limited on the time available for "partying" which could potentially damage your property.

DO NOT renovate based on what you would like to see for your family! We made this mistake and have absolutely learned from it. Save the hardwood and luxury renovations/products for when you are looking to sell off the property and want it to "pop" for families. Assume everything you put into the house will get destroyed.... kijiji is a great source for used items, kitchens/bathrooms/ fixtures etc...

Thought I would contribute my 2cents to the forum. Hope something here helps....

Mike

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Good post, just a few things to add...

1) I recommend adding a legal basement suite. Otherwise you could invest a lot of money into reno's and then have the municipality shut it down (possibly due to complaints from the neighbours).

2) Check for any bylaws that limit the number of people living in a property. There could be a bylaw stating no more than five unrelated people may occupy the premises.

3) Rather than reduce the "manager's" rent, charge him full market rent and then pay him $50/month. This shows better debt coverage for the banks and then there is no issue with raising rent again if the manager wants to quit.

mike6160

Registered
Great points, I had excluded the due diligence portion from my post which may give a false sense of completing the project properly. And thanks for the point on executing the managers "incentive", I had not even considered that aspect. Another day of learning something new.... wonder what it will be tomorrow

MikeMcC874

Registered
[quote user=mike6160]

Be very careful on this one. It is correct in spirit but can get you into trouble. In London anyhow, if you rent by the room, you are a boarding house. Different zoning and you are done for. Having all tenants on one lease solves this; sorta.

I have my fire inspection to get my license this year and the inspector asked me if all my tenants had come together or if I had put them together. Luckily they had come together. He informed me that the code was different is I had put them all together, even if they were on one lease. My basement unit would have been subject to much stricter fire code.

Mike

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
[quote user=MikeMcC874][quote user=mike6160]

Be very careful on this one.

Yes, something else to check with each municipality. Some may view student rentals differently than boarding houses, but others will lump them all together.

MrHamilton

Registered
Great Suggestions Mike!

Like real estate in general, there is no national market and no set of systems that apply to all student rentals across the country.

Below are my tweaks so they work for my markets (Hamilton, Brantford, St. Catharines)

1. Find a single home with separate side/rear entrance to the basement so once the city follows through with Bill 140 and writes the rules for secondary suites you can do so legally.

2. What the other Mike said, single lease for the whole house. Much better for when dealing with the city and Fire Department (I interviewed a fire inspector myself)

3. If you invest using the right systems, you shouldn't have a problem filling your property with quality students for May - April (zero vacancy)

Agree with the rest. Renovate with durability and low maintenance in mind, ie: Allure flooring, laminate, ceramic tile.

Cheers,

Erwin

Top Bottom