Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Some humour among the European debt crisis, stimulus package etc.

invst4profit

Registered
Sorry Adam but I am not one that supports the "politically correct" movement of the 80s. As a union activist at the time I was involved in instructing and policing it among union members and from within the ranks it was a complete joke. Very few of us actually took it seriously it was simply the "flavour of the month" movement we all had to push.

And a movement that is thankfully long gone.

Sorry but to me a joke is a joke, if it's funny I laugh if it isn't (for what ever reason) then I don't.

My previous comments regarding, geniuses, women, secretaries and especially brokers (that all of us know do not have feelings) was intended to mock politically correct standards. I missed the animals that Thomas pointed out.

As I suspect you knew.

Cargren

REIN Member
[quote user=housingrental]Do you think other posters writing posts that target and are offensive to minority groups acceptable because some readers will find the post enjoyable?

So if a Greek, an Irishman and a Portuguese are minorities, just who the heck, are the majorities? :)

Confused

housingrental

Registered
I'm sorry to read this but wish you the best in the future!

[quote user=invst4profit]Sorry Adam but I am not one that supports the "politically correct" movement of the 80s. As a union activist at the time I was involved in instructing and policing it among union members and from within the ranks it was a complete joke. Very few of us actually took it seriously it was simply the "flavour of the month" movement we all had to push.

And a movement that is thankfully long gone.

Sorry but to me a joke is a joke, if it's funny I laugh if it isn't (for what ever reason) then I don't.

My previous comments regarding, geniuses, women, secretaries and especially brokers (that all of us know do not have feelings) was intended to mock politically correct standards. I missed the animals that Thomas pointed out.

As I suspect you knew.

housingrental

Registered
I don't see the confusion.

Targeting specific national groups for ridicule should not be acceptable. I do not find it to be "humour".

[quote user=Cargren][quote user=housingrental]Do you think other posters writing posts that target and are offensive to minority groups acceptable because some readers will find the post enjoyable?

So if a Greek, an Irishman and a Portuguese are minorities, just who the heck, are the majorities? :)

Confused

wgraham

REIN Member
What do you call a piece of coal in Adam's rectum?.....wait for it.....GONE!

Dude you need to let the light shine every once in a while!! Life is way way too short!

housingrental

Registered
There's no coal stuck in me. I'm not sure why you would write that.

There's often lots of light outside during the day where I am.... and flowing inside from my windows....

You do not have anything to gain by insulting me.

Instead of attacking me, please take the time to answer the questions in my previous emails.

Is Thomas a "special" poster that is allowed to write things - and you will approve - that would not be acceptable from other posters?

If you were being insulted in a post would you be happy to read this?

[quote user=wgraham]What do you call a piece of coal in Adam's rectum?.....wait for it.....GONE!

Dude you need to let the light shine every once in a while!! Life is way way too short!

wgraham

REIN Member
Heaven forbid anyone should anyone be offended!! I am sure you have never insulted anyone, Adam!

I don't think Thomas or anyone else gets "special" privileges. You seem to be the only one taking exception to a harmless joke....thus the need to lighten up. Yes some jokes cross the line....this one....not even close.

GaryW

Registered
Wow! If I took
everything to heart that was said about Newfoundlanders(or should I say
NEWFIE), I'd be a wreck! Most of the time people are trying to get a
laugh and that's what I read in Thomas's post. Most of these jokes are
interchangeable with provinces instead of Countries, so I'm pretty sure
we would have made 1 of the 3 and I'm also pretty sure, everybody
knows which one would take the brunt of it! In other words , I wouldn't
be offended at all , especially coming from REIN members. Crossing the
line is when we single out a person in my opinion.

Gary........Little Newfoundland , Alberta! (Sorry Albertans)

housingrental

Registered
Hi Wade

I'm not really following. Why go out of your way dedicating time to make people's lives worse? You're goal is to offend and hurt others?

I do not aim to insult anyone. I'm disappointed you have wrote what you have and sure you can do bette r ni the future!

Who determines "the line" ? For each person this is different... and targeting certain ethnic and national groups WILL harm certain people... just because someone else's "joke" does not bother you does not mean it will not bother someone else..... Again this type of thing should have no place here and the posts should be deleted....

[quote user=wgraham] Heaven forbid anyone should anyone be offended!! I am sure you have never insulted anyone, Adam!

I don't think Thomas or anyone else gets "special" privileges. You seem to be the only one taking exception to a harmless joke....thus the need to lighten up. Yes some jokes cross the line....this one....not even close.

2ndstory

Registered
[quote user=wgraham] Heaven forbid anyone should anyone be offended!! I am sure you have never insulted anyone, Adam!

I don't think Thomas or anyone else gets "special" privileges. You seem to be the only one taking exception to a harmless joke....thus the need to

+1

Nik

housingrental

Registered
This is a disapointing post

[quote user=2ndstory][quote user=wgraham] Heaven forbid anyone should anyone be offended!! I am sure you have never insulted anyone, Adam!

I don't think Thomas or anyone else gets "special" privileges. You seem to be the only one taking exception to a harmless joke....thus the need to

+1

Nik

markbrad

Registered
Been a while since I have been here! Noticing two things as this post goes on....

1) Adam is being offended...time to stop!

2) Others are being offended...time for Adam to stop!

Obviously we all have our opinions and they differ. I still opt for Laughter is the Best Medicine!!

Mark

Seankm21

Registered
The biggest thing that I see here is that you are both right.

Adam - The issue is that for someone to take offense and be offended is that they have the choice of "taking" the offense or not. But it is their choice. You have obviously chosen to 'take' the offense and have been offended.

Everyone else - I personally did not see the humour in the jokes. You do have to be careful when justifying humour as some people of those nationalities may also 'take' the offense, which is their choice and not to be scoffed at - you do not know the history behind the resentful feelings. Accept the fact that there is an issue and move on.

Nir

REIN Member
To achieve a Win-Win how about agreeing on everything:
- that out of around 10,000 REIN members 1 person was offended by a joke, and
- that it was legit to copy and paste a few jokes for the benefit of the remaining 9,999 members
Sincerely

GaryW

Registered
[quote user=Nir]To achieve a Win-Win how about agreeing on everything:
- that it was legit to copy and paste a few jokes for the benefit of the remaining 9,999 members
Sincerely

I wasn't personally offended by Thomas's joke and I did make a comment on this thread to Adam that I felt singling out a person is uncalled for and that's exactly what has now happened. Nir , you probably didn't mean it the way it was typed, but in today's age emails are dangerous , because you simply cannot read any body language or vibes. I guess what I'm saying is...would you say this around a table with Adam present? (politely asked , by the way)

housingrental

Registered
Thank you for the concern GJWCA. I appreciate it.

Nir - No offense taken :) I'm sure you just want to do what you see as the most good.

[quote user=GJWCA][quote user=Nir]To achieve a Win-Win how about agreeing on everything:
Sincerely

I wasn't personally offended by Thomas's joke and I did make a comment on this thread to Adam that I felt singling out a person is uncalled for and that's exactly what has now happened. Nir , you probably didn't mean it the way it was typed, but in today's age emails are dangerous , because you simply cannot read any body language or vibes. I guess what I'm saying is...would you say this around a table with Adam present? (politely asked , by the way)

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=Nir]To achieve a Win-Win how about agreeing on everything: - that out of around 10,000 REIN members 1 person was offended by a joke, and - that it was legit to copy and paste a few jokes for the benefit of the remaining 9,999 members Sincerely

This post is a logical fallacy, you're assuming that the vast majority who haven't posted agree with your opinion.

Is it more likely that 100% of the silent majority agree with you or that they're split?

Adam could argue that only a few posters who have said so think it's a good idea, so by the same logic more than 9000 posters were offended.

Regards,

Michael

Top Bottom