Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Snoring Tenant

Alvaro Sanchez

Ottawa-Gatineau Investor
Registered
I got a new tenant (month old) and a neighbour is complaining about tenant’s snoring very loud which prevents them from sleeping at night. I have asked the neighbour to get the complaint in writing just to document the incident.

I would think that this is not grounds to evict anybody and I would not pursue it at all under such conditions. Have you deal with something similar?

koop

Registered
Snoring that bad isn`t healthy, like it was said insulate the wall, but the guy needs to go see a doctor.

Nir

REIN Member
QUOTE (asanchez @ Jan 22 2010, 06:48 AM) I got a new tenant (month old) and a neighbour is complaining about tenant`s snoring very loud which prevents them from sleeping at night. I have asked the neighbour to get the complaint in writing just to document the incident.

I would think that this is not grounds to evict anybody and I would not pursue it at all under such conditions. Have you deal with something similar?
You asking the neighbor to send you a letter is funny. I wouldn`t bother the neighbor. "document everything" doesn`t really mean everything.

Anyway, the tenant has the right to be sick. I`m assuming:
1. you are not a doctor and
2. the rent does not include health insurance
(luckily we have OHIP).

Just say something to show you sincerely understand his frustration.

Today it`s a snoring tenant. what`s next - husband caught cheating? maybe you should be a mediator, save the marriage and reduce your vacancy rate!

Cheers.

Alvaro Sanchez

Ottawa-Gatineau Investor
Registered
Well, I guess you were trying to be funny, it`s ok..... As I mentioned previous posting, there are no grounds to evict anybody as far as I know.

I have asked the super to ask the neighbor to get it in writing (in case that this is something else going on)...That way, I give the neighbor the opportunity to express his/her frustration and let them know that if there is a complain it better be in writing. (kind of I am listening but I am not your mom).

If I get it in writing, I know for sure that neighbor is bothered in which case (and only then) I would mentioned to the tenant about the noise (snoring) and that if possible to move his bed to the other side of the room or move to the other room as an option to try to keep everybody happy.

So I am still looking for some opinions as to how you had deal in the past or how could possible deal with this snoring case?

Regards,

QUOTE (investmart @ Jan 23 2010, 02:04 AM) You asking the neighbor to send you a letter is funny. I wouldn`t bother the neighbor. "document everything" doesn`t really mean everything.

Anyway, the tenant has the right to be sick. I`m assuming:
1. you are not a doctor and
2. the rent does not include health insurance
(luckily we have OHIP).

Just say something to show you sincerely understand his frustration.

Today it`s a snoring tenant. what`s next - husband caught cheating? maybe you should be a mediator, save the marriage and reduce your vacancy rate!

Cheers.

invst4profit

Registered
This is one of those issues between tenants that it is best you do not get involved in. The reality is there is no satisfactory solution so console complaining tenant and explain to them there is nothing you can do. Suggest to them that they speak to there neighbour allowing you to bow out of the drama.

Top Bottom