Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Six Reasons No One Wants to Buy Your F%^$ Real Estate Investment

ChrisDavies

Registered
From my blog this morning: Six Reasons No One Wants to Buy Your F%^$ Real Estate InvestmentI get to talk with a lot of people who are new to investing. As a rule, they`re amazing and frequently very successful, particularly among the REIN crew.
Most of us know that one person who just won`t shut up. Since I`ve been one, and I`ve been exposed to quite a few lately, I`m going to have a little rant about the six attributes that piss me off the most I find most annoying.

2538227112_a623ff7c97.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/themadlolscientist/ / CC BY 2.0
1. You`re just about the money

If your profile picture on any social networking site includes you and your dream car/boat/trip or something else related to money, you`re doing it wrong. People might invest for just monetary reasons, but the best investors you can cultivate will care about you more than the money. They`re highly unlikely to look like the rich ***** you seem to be interested in becoming. Real estate investing is a long term game, so build relationships. Don`t waste your time trying to attract the wrong sort of people.

Cash-flow? Amortization? ROI? What the hell are you talking about?

Real estate investors have their own language. We`re almost as bad as stock brokers, lawyers and teh computer game g33kzors. Remember, every time you write something that other people are going to see, try this exercise. Keep a copy of a real estate glossary beside you, and try not to use any of the words in it. Or you can just wait till you`re done and just go through and delete them. Take a minute and flip through some of the `investor wannabe` posts on myREINspace. Try to speak their language.

3. You don`t seem to think about other stuff

Please, stop spamming your Facebook/Twitter/email/LinkedIn with endless links to your own articles. Stop talking real estate at least once a month. I do that with my Song of the Week. For sites like Facebook, topics such as real estate or economics should make up no more than 1 update in 5, especially if you`re on there often. LinkedIn is a more professionally focused site, so you can be a little more frequent. Either way, never forget that people invest in you, so your online presence should reflect that.

4. You don`t add value or give back

I don`t care if you`re just starting out, you have an ability or knowledge which will support the group (whatever your group happens to be). Asking for tips, help and analysis is fine; doing it without giving back isn`t. Find one thing you can share/do/learn/work on, and give it back for free.

5. You don`t thank the people who help you

Here`s one idea: send everyone who helps you personally a handwritten card. Give it back to your investors, friends, team members and the other investors you know. Here`s another idea. Say thank you. Get used to doing it often.
6. You get distracted

If you`ve got a history of running from one money making scheme to another, or worse, from one Real Estate Investment group to another, you`re screwed. I hereby diagnose you with Bright Shiny Object Syndrome (B-SOS). Personally, a someone who had B-SOS, I knew I was on to something when my wife said, "You`ve been really focused on the REIN real estate stuff, and it looks like it`s really starting to work." If you can`t be relied upon to stay the course, you can`t be trusted with $150,000 worth of investment capital.

Now if this list struck a chord with you, good. You might think I`m wrong, and have $50k in profits to show for it. My point is without playing it my way, for the long term, you`re not likely to make $500k. If you do manage it, it`s going to be lonely at the top.

If you`re doing ok, keep this one handy. We can all improve.

Focus on relationships. Focus on being consistent. Focus on building a stable business. All else will come.

JessHunt

Registered
Well thought through. very good points to keep in mind - thanks - Jess

housedoc

Registered
So is the eel is a passive investor or a parasite?
Is it an efficient predator? One good contact and you`re all set.
I`m so confused.

wgraham

REIN Member
Great Post Chris and I couldn`t agree more......focus on the person and relationship not the money. If people don`t like you they more than likely won`t invest with you. if they don`t relate with you they won`t invest with you. If they don`t trust you they won`t invest with you. What value are you adding outside of the ROI? How are you helping them? How are they helping you?

Can I link this post to my facebook

All the best!
Wade

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (wgraham @ Jul 28 2009, 09:02 AM)
Can I link this post to my facebook
<

Sure can, just click here (or on the little blue facebook button at the bottom of the post here.)

housingrental

Registered
Hi Chris

I enjoyed reading 6)

I disagree with your assessment on:

1) This turns off some investors but vicarious success is a pull for others. Many successful Realtors marketing high end homes use this to their advantage.

2) Most investors with meaningful funds have basic financial literacy and don`t want to read an essay. This is dependent on who your targeting.

3) Disagree. Some real estate contacts might find it odd having articles about your thoughts on an NHL team or your child.

GarthChapman

Registered
Fantastic advice. Clear, concise, and right on the money! (if you`ll pardon the pun)

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jul 28 2009, 04:32 PM)
Hi Chris

I enjoyed reading 6)

1) This turns off some investors but vicarious success is a pull for others. Many successful Realtors marketing high end homes use this to their advantage.

2) Most investors with meaningful funds have basic financial literacy and don't want to read an essay. This is dependent on who your targeting.

3) Disagree. Some real estate contacts might find it odd having articles about your thoughts on an NHL team or your child.

indeed !

Also, keep in mind that most real estate investments today are not as sexy as they used to be 3 or 5 years ago .. so some caution is advised !

With the recent blow-up of syndicated real estate, primarily in commercial or construction, i.e. Concrete Equities, FRPL, Shire, BridgeCreek or Genesis .. real concerns and more due diligence by investors are in order !

kir

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Jul 29 2009, 10:18 PM)
indeed !

Also, keep in mind that most real estate investments today are not as sexy as they used to be 3 or 5 years ago .. so some caution is advised !

With the recent blow-up of syndicated real estate, primarily in commercial or construction, i.e. Concrete Equities, FRPL, LibertyGate, BridgeCreek or Genesis .. real concerns and more due diligence by investors are in order !

Recent blow-up of syndicated real estate companies...??? How come I haven't heard of these news. Thanks for the info.

Kir.

BrianPersaud

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Jul 30 2009, 12:18 AM)
indeed !

With the recent blow-up of syndicated real estate, primarily in commercial or construction, i.e. Concrete Equities, FRPL, LibertyGate, BridgeCreek or Genesis .. real concerns and more due diligence by investors are in order !

Hi Thomas,

What's the story behind Concrete Equities, FRPL, LibertyGate, BridgeCreek or Genesis...did they just provide a huge lift on the price they were getting their investors in on?

Brian

ChrisDavies

Registered
Hi Adam,

I agree with your points, but it's something in moderation. I trust you to exercise good judgement and respond to how people are reacting. Other people, not so much. Beyond that:

QUOTE (housingrental @ Jul 28 2009, 03:32 PM)

I agree about vicarious success, but people measure success in other ways. Successful investors and JV prospects usually realize that success is measured in more ways than dollars.

2) Most investors with meaningful funds have basic financial literacy and don't want to read an essay. This is dependent on who your targeting.

Many have only a cursory knowledge, and assuming they know the vocab will shut them down. As Don says, "a confused mind says no". Maybe for most materials a glossary at the back is called for. Actually a nicely formatted glossary just might be a good lead gen tool.

I disagree. People invest in people, and if who you are is really that much real estate, you're likely to burn out. When it comes to social networking, you'll have normal family and friends on there too, and just pushing out the 24/7 Real Estate Channel shows you're willing to spam them and ignore the relationship. This is also based on working with a number of brands, large and small. Personal always sells.

mponte

Registered
Great post Chris and couldn`t agree with you more. It`s not the investment most potential investors are cautious about, it`s you.

Once you`ve been able to create a relationship where they feel comfortable and trust you then the rest will just follow.

Thanks for writing this post.

housingrental

Registered
Fair enough

Two people - two perspectives

QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Jul 30 2009, 03:20 PM) Hi Adam,

I agree with your points, but it`s something in moderation. I trust you to exercise good judgement and respond to how people are reacting. Other people, not so much. Beyond that:

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (mponte @ Jul 30 2009, 05:41 PM) Great post Chris and couldn`t agree with you more. It`s not the investment most potential investors are cautious about, it`s you.

It`s not quite as simple .. the PRODUCT and you have to be "sold" .. and have to make sense .. a lot of real estate deals today do not make sense as they are overpriced still !

Top Bottom