Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sewer back-up in Edmonton due to tree roots

Nicola

Registered
We have an older single family house in Edmonton, where we just had to pay $600 for roto-rooting and carpert cleaning due to sewer back-up. Our property manager tells us this was due to tree roots.

My questions are:
Any general pointers on preventing this from happening again?

Does the City of Edmonton provide any assistance with this? (I`m assuming it was a City tree)

Will they do preventative sewer line cleaning? (Saskatoon sometimes does this, I understand.)

Is there any program where the City will subsidize putting in new sewer lines? Any idea what this would cost?

ToddStokowski

Registered
Hi, my understanding is if the roots entered the sewage line on City property, they will take care of all the costs associated with removing the tree and repairing the sewage lines and any other costs.

If the problem area is on your property, then it`s your nickel.

Todd

adsloan

REIN Member
I have had a problem with tree roots in the past as well. The city of Edmonton sewer dept will send a camera down sewer lines, roto root if necessary and then follow up 6 weeks later with a non toxic growth inhibitor which slows regrowth of roots. The good news is that if the tree is on city property (eg boulevard) there is no charge. I have also found the city to be very fair about charging when it is my tree.
The city recommends having this done once every two years to prevent flooding.They have a program where they will send a reminder letter when two years are up. They also send out notices in some older neighborhoods to let you know they will be in your area doing video inspections of sewer lines on certain dates. The problem I have had with the notices are that they are sent to the house, not to the owner and some tenants don`t forward them on to me.

The person I have contacted regarding this service is Gabby at 496-8939.

I know mature trees add value to a property but they can be a real nuisance!!

brentdavies

Registered
hi,

the city has a herbicide foam program for sewers with bad root problems.

They will apply a foam that retards root growth for a couple of years. Since the roots in this case, on the city side, there was no cost.

The sewer will not be replaced unless the pipe is broken.

Brent

samcansam

Registered
QUOTE (Nicola @ Mar 24 2008, 06:41 PM) Thanks everyone for your helpful replies!
Nicola

I would also buy a sewer backup insurance rider. This saved me 20K when the basement in one of my properties got damaged.

KULA

REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT ADVISOR
Registered
Our personal residence had sewar backup issues due to tree roots from large maple trees on our property. You can get roots cut out but they do return. We ended up relining the inside of the sewar with a plastic polymer - worked great because there was no excavating/ landscaping costs. If you end up having to change the sewar lines you may want to consider relining it. I don`t know of companies in your area [I live in Brampton, Ontario]but if you are stuck send me an e-mail.

billf

Registered
Hi,

What is the price on relining the sanitary line, for a 30m run for example.

Thanks,

Bill

KULA

REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT ADVISOR
Registered
QUOTE (billf @ Mar 26 2008, 12:40 AM) Hi,

What is the price on relining the sanitary line, for a 30m run for example.

Thanks,

Bill

It cost me $3500-4000 for a line which was about 40` long. I went with relining because it the new `pipe` had no seams in it, there was no excavation costs [it had to be done by hand due to a water line and a gas line] and i didn`t need to landscape after...it also comes with a 25 yr warranty. I am not sure which is cheaper..in my case it was cheaper to reline. THere are lots of companies that do this ...just make sure you have a good company.

kabuku

Registered
QUOTE (Nicola @ Mar 23 2008, 11:12 PM) We have an older single family house in Edmonton, where we just had to pay $600 for roto-rooting and carpert cleaning due to sewer back-up. Our property manager tells us this was due to tree roots.

Hi There,
You could inverstigate a "backflow valve".
Essentially it is a one way valve in your sewage line that closes when the flow comes back into the house. You may need to phone a few plumbing contractors for info and it may require a permit. There was a big flood in Peterboro a few years ago and alot of backflow valves were install afterwards.
Good luck,,
Brian Anderson
www.andersonwindowsanddoors.ca

aquestions are:
Any general pointers on preventing this from happening again?

Does the City of Edmonton provide any assistance with this? (I`m assuming it was a City tree)

Will they do preventative sewer line cleaning? (Saskatoon sometimes does this, I understand.)

Is there any program where the City will subsidize putting in new sewer lines? Any idea what this would cost?

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (KULA @ Mar 28 2008, 03:45 AM) It cost me $3500-4000 for a line which was about 40` long. I went with relining because it the new `pipe` had no seams in it, there was no excavation costs [it had to be done by hand due to a water line and a gas line] and i didn`t need to landscape after...it also comes with a 25 yr warranty. I am not sure which is cheaper..in my case it was cheaper to reline. THere are lots of companies that do this ...just make sure you have a good company.

This may be a dumb question, but how do they do it? Do they just push the relining through the original pipe?

Has anyone done this in Edmonton?

ToddStokowski

Registered
We have our lines either roto-rooted or pressure steam cleaned.

A back flow valve is like gold. It`s real inexpensive and works well.

As of yet, I have not heard of "relining" in Edmonton. It is most likely out there though.

Todd

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (ToddStokowski @ Mar 31 2008, 11:11 PM) We have our lines either roto-rooted or pressure steam cleaned.

A back flow valve is like gold. It`s real inexpensive and works well.

As of yet, I have not heard of "relining" in Edmonton. It is most likely out there though.

Todd

Another dumb question... if you have a back flow valve, and the sewer gets clogged by tree roots (or whatever), what happens? It doesn`t back up into your basement, but then what? Presumably it still needs to be cleaned out, but how do you know?

What would one cost (including installation)?

Top Bottom