Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Selling a Home Privately

wendyfernandes

Registered
Hello Everyone,

I`m looking to privately sell a property that I have and I`m wondering if anyone has any advice on the many for sale by owner websites there are out there. I`ve visited a few websites and the cost has varied from $50-$1500, obviously with varying levels of service. Has anyone used any of these websites or services? Any suggestions or advice?

Kind Regards,

Wendy

RedlineBrett

Registered
I know that the big draw for FSBO is to save on agency commissions, but here are some thoughts before you do.

- if you are in AB or any `slow` market right now keep in mind that with so many listings to choose from on MLS most buyers will be able to find what they are looking for on there.

- It costs nothing for a buyer to use an agent on their end because the lister is paying the buyer agent`s fee. So, buyers can get a lot of service for very little cost when they use an agent. With so many MLS listings unless a buyer is looking for something very specific again agents will stick to the MLS

- the proliferation of FSBO websites has made it a much harder task for buyers to surf them all and take in the whole market. Rather than wade through them all they are sticking with MLS.

- Buyers know that people listing on MLS are typically much more serious about selling because they are willing to pay a fee to move their property.

That said, if you must sell FSBO you should get your listing up on NUMEROUS sites to hit as many potential buyers as possible. Also, get signs out in your neighborhood to draw people in and price yourself right!

QUOTE (wendyfernandes @ Jul 7 2008, 08:04 AM) Hello Everyone,

I`m looking to privately sell a property that I have and I`m wondering if anyone has any advice on the many for sale by owner websites there are out there. I`ve visited a few websites and the cost has varied from $50-$1500, obviously with varying levels of service. Has anyone used any of these websites or services? Any suggestions or advice?

Kind Regards,

Wendy

albainstar

Registered
The most important thing to selling a home yourself is to be professional about it
A realtor markets your home, they pay to place nice ads, they place it in many places, they take quality pictures, and have quality descriptions. Just placing a House for sale sign form can tire on your lawn is NOT enough.placing a cheap ad in the classifieds is not enough, spend some money on this - after all you are saving the realtor fees so spens a few hunred or thousand on the marketing.

when the prosective buyer comes its important not to over sell the property which many FSBO do. They babble on to the lookers while they are trying to do that - look.
Its important to give info on the house but is also important to let the buyer look around and be able to think. They need time to to ask themselves, do i like this property, does it work for me and so on. If you are talking too much they shut down. They dont want to hear you anymore and typically flee the scene.

Sometimes a FSBO is thier own worst enemy.

Top Bottom