Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Secondary Suites in Red Deer

GlennLasiuta

Registered
Good morning.

All right, here’s everyone’s chance to speak their voice concerning the ‘legalization’ of secondary suites. Given the low vacancy, and shifted affordability index, the acceptance of secondary suites which meet fire code, is a solution that makes sense for both renters and landlords.

Please take the time to fill this quick survey out, and let’s bring about change. Thanks.

http://mail.wmc.ca/Secondarysuites/

Glenn Lasiuta

GlennLasiuta

Registered
Good morning all!

As a follow up to the secondary suite public input survey conducted, and in accordance with the 2006 Affordable Housing Strategy, the City is now hosting a series of open houses on April 9th and April 10th.

http://www.reddeer.ca/Connecting+with+Your...tes/default.htm

If you would like to hear what the city is planning with regards to the topic, and to provide your valuable input, you may benefit from attending one of these sessions. I know that there are many of us who own in `illegal` areas with regards to zoning, so this would be a good chance to see what may come of the issue, and mitigate our risks as investors.

Thank you,

Glenn

SamEfford

Registered
Thank you for the link and information! I will surely pass it on to friends who invest in the area.

GlennLasiuta

Registered
QUOTE (SamEfford @ Apr 4 2008, 12:20 PM) Thank you for the link and information! I will surely pass it on to friends who invest in the area.

Hey, no problems. This is information that is useful to me also, and I am more than happy to share with fellow investors - power in numbers, let`s make a difference!!

cheers,

Glenn

GlennLasiuta

Registered
City of Red Deer public input on Secondary Suites

This is a follow-up to the public input survey concerning secondary suites, which was made available from the City of Red Deer. Thank you to all who participated. The results from the survey are generally favorable, with more participation than anticipated.

Of the survey respondents, 53.6% had favorable experiences with suites, with 58% having suited homes in their neighborhood. 66.2% feel the City should be responsible for providing permits and inspections. 77.8% would not object to neighbors building or developing suites, with 81.2% feeling the need for rules regulating them.

The following are some highlights of the results, and items which are likely to be incorporated in the new program:

• New areas of Johnstone Park, Oriole Park West, West Park and Inglewood have all incorporated R2 lots to allow for secondary suites.
    • The City is studying how other municipalities have dealt with this issue, Calgary and Edmonton being the most pertinent. In these cities, suites are allowed on a discretionary basis, taking into account minimum lot size (400 M[sup]2 for Calgary and 412 – 460 M[sup]2[/sup] for Edmonton), number of parking stalls available based on lot size and whether or not the residence is owner occupied.
      • Existing `illegal` suites which have been reported will not be dealt with until the final results of the hearing are determined.
        • Owner occupied homes with a suite are looking like they will be acceptable, even in current `illegal` zones.
        Suites should not exceed 65% of main floor, with the exclusion of the utility room (furnace, hot water tank, etc.)
      Suites might need to have separate electrical metering.
    Houses with suites will likely pay more for garbage/recycling programs.
The full results will be available online within a week or so, and I will post the link as soon as I find it is available.

Gordon C. Harris is the gentleman in charge of the consulting firm undertaking the study, and he is eager to hear your feedback and comments. He told me that it is okay to email him any comments or questions. His contact information is as follows:

10609 124th[/sup] Street, Edmonton, Alberta, T5N 1S5

[email protected]

Fax: (780)-429-0256Thank you, have a great evening,

Glenn

Top Bottom