Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Screening garage tenants

Darren Ward

New Forum Member
Registered
Do you screen the garage tenant like other tenants? How much do you collect and do you check references?

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Good question... yes!

Ask what they are storing. You want a hoarder or someone who has a club of some kind with a ton of crap. Make sure it isn't someone who is a a hobbyist or running a business (obviously no living in the garage).

Get as much information as you can get away with. I've rented to a professional engineer who was a partner at a firm and didn't want me pulling his credit or anything like that so he prepaid 3 months in advance and stored his Porsches. So just adapt.

I don't check references, pull criminal record or anything like that. But I'll get as much information as I can. Proof of ownership of cars that they are storing is important! Make sure you have an emergency contact. Don't rent to anyone who don't trust, you only need to sell one unit find a really great tenant and live with vacancy until you find them. Getting rid of a garage tenant is a huge pain in the butt, especially when vehicles are involved.

Top Bottom