Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RTO and starting out.

MechTech

Registered
Hello!
My name is Dan and im new to the world of RE, this is my first post and i would like to just thank you all for the wealth of information here on this website. it is incredible and a valuable resource. I reside in Winnipeg with my wife and 2 young children and have decided to pursue a career in RE because i want to provide them with a life i never had growing up, as well as spend more time with the family.

Anyhow, enough about me.
I read a couple of books, one from July Ono about networking and one from Mark Loeffler inregards to rent to own. I found this resource here on the REIN website and have to say i love the platform! While i could handle the landlord life with simply renting, i think i like the RTO platform a bit more for the simple fact of being able to help families create a life for themselves in advance. The fundamentals are quite simple and i understand the concept quite well. I have been cramming information about many things for the last 2 weeks to accelerate my knowledge and begin the journey so to speak. I have a mortgage for my primary residence and a line of credit with less than 15K in it for debt and according to my bank, i have excellent credit, so i believe that will benefit me come start up time.

I have a couple of family members and friends who would probably be interested in providing me with a downpayment for a property so i believe this could happen sooner than later. I have looked into my property and the equity that may be available for a HELOC but i think i would probably have to wait another year before that would be a possibility, and my mortgage matures next year anyway so i may wait but we will see.

Basically, i am looking to begin networking and putting my team of professionals together by introduction to begin. Now What id like to ask of those who have or are doing it is perhaps some tips on getting started. I have Mark`s book as a great reference but like anything there are things to watch for and ways to get started that come from talking to people with experience.

I would also like to get intouch with team members such as, a Mortgage broker, Lawyer, RE agents etc that have experience with RTO and may even be investors themselves and in the winnipeg area, or atleast while i begin. So if you could point me in their direction, greatly appreciated!

Ive also got the RE Investing in canada 2.0 book sitting right here which is my next read as well as some networking events to attend in the next couple of weeks. Business cards being printed and putting together a website.

Any input at all will be very much appreciated, even some hard balls thrown in as well to keep things grounded.

Thanks all!

Oh and Mark, next time your in Winnipeg id like to buy you lunch!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Thoughts:

a) you need more experience .. with your OWN money first before asking others for $s
b) you have to do a LOT MORE research .. don`t do an RTO as a first deal .. maybe the 4th or 5th ..
c) you need more money
d) you need more education
e) if you`re not careful your real estate career & your relationships ends in a disaster very quickly

hence: join REIN and get educated .. and specifically for RTO use Ron LeGrande`s material (and yes, that may cost you $5000 including a trip to the US) .. or contact some folks here on myreinspace that have done RTO successfully (there are few only, but there are a few .. and I might add I tried it myslef about 5 years ago after hearing Ron and did not pull it off successfully .. it is a skill that takes years to learn and 5 deals or more to master) ... and make more money .. keep the dream alive but post-pone it a bit .. then, when you`re ready the right RTO property and right JV partner will automagically appear .. after doing 3 or 4 "normal" deals" !

Related posts for educational purposes:
5 ways to make money http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/General_Discussion/61-3347-5_ways_to_make_money.html
Do what you love: http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/Real_Estate_Discussion/62-16722-Love_what_you_do_-_Do_what_you_love_.html
How to get started http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/General_Discussion/61-4391-How_to_get_started_.html
How did I get started: http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/Real_Estate_Discussion/62-15422-Is_my_goal_of_200K_annual_income_feasible.html

Shaieus

Registered
Hello Dan! Welcome to the world of Real Estate Business.
We are also new REIN members, we joined nov. of last year.
And we are blessed to start our RE journey together with REIN`s guidance.

I learned something from Barry that i would like to share to you.
As a novice investor we need to get our feet wet first.
Establish our mastermind group (broker, banker, RE agent etc.)
read Don`s Real Estate Investing in Canada book, attend ACRE,
prepare and compile our sophisticated binder (appropriate due diligence).

When, we first attended the Ron LeGrand`s workshop (Edmonton) it was too
much to absorb because we don`t have the solid foundation yet in RE and
what he discussed are creative financing strategies for pros and more
experienced RE entrepreneurs. Yes, We love the idea of Quick turn etc.
but we plan to implement them for part 2. We decided to start doing baby steps,
one at a time.

We choose not to be overwhelmed and follow a proven system (ACRE).
Utilize and listen to other REIN members esp. here in myREIN space forum,
and above all pray for wisdom for all your decision-making.
We have a life to enjoy and a long road ahead of us in RE business.

Just some thoughts and once again
congratulations for being a part of REIN family.

May all our dreams come true.

Cheers!

Sherrylyn

Shaieus

Registered
"Delight yourself in the Lord and HE will give you the desires of your heart". (Psalm 37:4)

JoeRagona

Registered
Dan,

Great thoughts above and I can admit I had the same intention as you when I first begain RE investing. In fact, I actually DID my first deal as an RTO. It did not pan out like it should have, but taught me a lot of lessons along the way - all the way to this week when I finally sold the property which turned out to be a dog for me to rent.

Follow the advice of the members and absorb as much of the proven ACRE system as you can. In my mind, going to one live ACRE event is not enough as there is so much to learn and apply.

It took me personally a good year or so to acquire a comfortable knowledge in the basics and then I tweaked it all to apply it to my personal system.

RTO is a very unique animal and if you don`t understand it fully, you probably don`t want to `learn` your way into RE with that approach. Take it from me

Good luck

MechTech

Registered
Thank you both for the welcome and the information!

I met with a RE agent today and we talked for about a good 2 and a half hours about alot of things. She gave me some great connections to some bankers and brokers and also to a RE lawyer that she has worked with that is quite knowledgeable. She is also going to sign me up to their email program that emails the person the list of new houses and properties that are available. Just to get an idea about the market and areas in the city. The meeting was great and i walked away with alot.

You are quite right Thomas, more experience/training and my own money is the way im going to start. Will be a while before i actually proceed but i believe i am on the right track. Thank you for the response and information you provided. Very valuable indeed!

Sherrylynn,
Thank you for the warm welcome! I have asked the Lord to provide me with guidance and let me know whether this was the right path for me, and today he has shown me that it is indeed the right move. And has shown me that patience is the way to proceed. So that is the way im going to proceed, baby steps! Thank you for that.

Thanks Joe, its good to hear it from someone who has done RTO off the start. And from what ive come across today, i think i will start with a small single family, maybe a flip and rent type of project. Seems that a little sweat equity will keep things in perspective. But now that ive come across some potential team players, im quite excited to begin learning more. Maybe even find a mentor.

First things first, im going to dive into the Real estate investing in canada 2.0 book that has just arrived today, then we will see what my toughts are afterwards. Ive been told it will really change the way you understand real estate investing.

Real glad i have found REIN!

Thanks All

Dan

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (MechTech @ May 13 2010, 05:59 PM)

Sherrylynn,

Thank you for the warm welcome! I have asked the Lord to provide me with guidance and let me know whether this was the right path for me, and today he has shown me that it is indeed the right move. And has shown me that patience is the way to proceed. So that is the way im going to proceed, baby steps! Thank you for that...

related post: Prayer especially for RE investors:

http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/General_Discussion/61-10209-A_Prayer_especially_for_Real_Estate_Investors.html

MechTech

Registered
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ May 13 2010, 06:41 PM)
related post: Prayer especially for RE investors:

http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/General_Discussion/61-10209-A_Prayer_especially_for_Real_Estate_Investors.html

Great Link! Thank you for this Thomas!

I work as an Industrial Mechanic right now and while i do enjoy it at times, i feel that a change in career is now just what the doctor ordered. So for the last few months i have asked the Lord to Assist me with this change, and show me the way through. Well i was introduced to the world of RE not long after and believe that it is what ive asked for. Real estate is just something that would never get old or boring and just has so much opportunity. While having money frees up time and can give my boys opportunity for education and such, i think giving back for the greater good is also an atrractive part of it as well.

So let the games begin i say.. Real Estate Investing in canada..... Chapter 1!
<

Top Bottom