Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RONA versus Home Depot

StanNeumann

Registered
QUOTE (cldemott @ Feb 4 2009, 12:01 PM) Just redoing a bathroom, and pricing both Rona and Home Depot...Home Depot hands down! for pricing, availability, and customer service! We wanted to look at a vanity in Rona that was on display and discounted. We found and asked an employee for help.
He said there`s a chunk of marble on the top.
Sink included?
Yeah, probably.
Any in stock?
Not sure.
Can we look at it?
No. Not my department. You can come back another time when the other guy is here.
Ok....
Home Depot hands down! Better vanity, in stock, regular price $299 (includes the mirror) vs. $419 (see above), same toilet $45 cheaper, MAXX 2 pc. tub and surround for $579, faucet (pop-up incl) $50 cheaper, tub faucet $60 cheaper....

I would be very interested in which store this was at, if you could send that information to me I would appreciate it ([email protected]). Rona does have a program with REIN in quoting pricing on products that are not in the catalogue as well as if you are doing large projects. If this interests you as well please feel free to contact me.

Have a great day!

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE Home Depot hands down! for pricing, availability, and customer service! We wanted to look at a vanity in Rona that was on display and discounted.

I`d have to agree with that sentiment. I live very close to the crowfoot Rona (walking distance) and we`re redoing our basement. So whenever I need something little that I can find myself I end up at Rona. (Another box of drywall screws, etc.)

However, for the big stuff, I find it just doesn`t make sense to shop there. I needed to order all new sliding windows. At Rona, I had to walk all over the store looking for somebody. I found him, and he paged the guy who was looking after windows, because its not his department. I talked to that guy, and he said "Special Order? Nope, can`t do it, come back tommorow, which was monday, between 9 and 4 when the guy who does that is in"

Sure, I`ll get right on that. I`ll just take a vacation day from work.

I went to the home depot in beacon hill right after that, and walked up to the window desk. The guy took the measurements and specs that I wanted, and gave me a price. He was friendly and knowledgeable, and I bought them then and there. It took less time to buy them at home depot than it did to find someone who couldn`t help me at Rona.

Michael

PS I also find Totem to be great. They had AMAZING prices on the light fixtures I wanted. Plus free popcorn

NorthernAlex

Registered
Bought two weeks ago at Rona the sump pump. Today it is already not working anymore.

The price at Rona was $63+Tax and 1 year warranty. Picked now a Rigid sump pump up. Lifetime warranty and 59$.

PlumberSteve

Registered
My two cents

What I have learned from it was this as well. I am strongly of the belief that how the management team treats it`s employees, is indicative of how well the employees provide customer service.

It also seems to me that Rona, is more willing and able to provide discounts, where as home depot apparently is under the belief, that if you want that tool, wire, pipe or fixture, at a reduced price.... Wait until the sale...?

RCrein

Registered
Have spent many dollars in both these stores and agree with comments above. Rona seems to be out of stock frequently which makes for a wasted trip. Some, and I emphasize some, of the Home Depot staff have been excellent. Ask who in the store was formerly in the trades and you are much more likely to get good info. Also if you find out who they call in another store to answer a question you have probably found a former trademan. I haven`t checked out the new Lowes in town but I`m hopeful they are going to help with lower prices. I happened to be in the states and bought an item I was going to need the next day and it was less than half the Home Depot price. Well worth carrying home.

Other outlets are sometimes better on price than either of above. I have a contact at the local Home Hardware that has a lumber yard. If you buy enough you get a discounted price and delivery. Find the guy that deals with contractors. For the plumbing or electrical items check out the local trade suppliers. Once you have an account you can get the trade prices. Happy bargain hunting.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
If I ever find myself destitute and homeless, I will move into one of those big box hardware stores:

1) Large supply of oversized shopping carts for collecting returnable containers and other valuables.
2) Furniture and appliances are already there, no need to move those bulky items.
3) Food and beverage service onsite.
4) Zero chance of being ousted by employees, since no one actually works there.

Top Bottom