Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rising interest rates could trigger housing market collapse!

2ndstory

Registered
Seems like there are alarmist warnings for Canada's real estate. Any thoughts?

Nik

Rising interest rates could trigger housing market collapse

| Friday, 4 February 2011

Rising interest rates later this year could trigger Canada`s housing market to collapse, according to a new report by Capital Economics.

This is a sharp departure from most other forecasts that see 2011 as a steady year for housing. Capital Economics calculated Canadian home prices falling by about 25 per cent to even as much as 35 per cent over the next three years as the Bank of Canada starts to tighten its monetary policy.

Many predict the central bank to push the interest rate up to two per cent by the end of the year from its current one per cent mark, and that it`ll return to the 3.5 per cent normal level by the end of 2012.

`Even small rises in official interest rates have been shown to have a big effect on homeowner confidence in other countries under similar circumstances,` Capital Economics chief Canadian economist David Madani told The Canadian Press. `If the Bank of Canada does resume its monetary tightening this year, this could easily prove to be a tipping point for a house price collapse.`

If prices did decrease by 35 per cent, the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) could suffer losses of $10 billion as about 10 per cent of higher risk mortgages default.

Meanwhile, for the week of Mon. Feb. 7, TD, CIBC and RBC all raised their special mortgage rates

Peter

REIN Member
Great opportunity for REIN members to lead and bring some perspective to the conversation.

Keep your head while others around you are losing theirs.

Peter

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=2ndstory]for a house price collapse.

the more sensational the headlines the more more attention one gets. True for newspapers and for economists !

Of course, higher mortgage rates affect people's ability to buy .. so if rates go up 0.25% or 0.5% it will affect somewhat the house prices. Maybe 2% ? maybe 3.5% ? hardly a "collapse" !!!

The price of oil or gas or in-migration, all destined to go up substantially, affects house prices in Alberta FAR MORE !!

Don't listen to this economist !! Look at employments, wages, in-migration, oil and gas prices instead !

Alberta is a great place to invest !!

Rising rates = rising economy = rising rents .. all good for investors in real estate !!!

wgraham

REIN Member
I am writing a post about why rising interest rates are good for investors (i'll let you know when it is done) but the long story short is this....rates will rise when the economy is ready. When the economy is ready there will be no housing collaps.

I for one am excited that rates are about to rise as it means that buying a house will get more expensive and thus more renters (sounds cold I know). I lost a lot of great tenants to home ownership over the past couple of years and I couldn't be happy for them but I hate having to find new tenants :)

Bring on rising rates!! PLEASE!

housingrental

Registered
Some investors would like to stick there head in the sand

The reality:

Selling is rarely a good thing in real estate investments - often makes more sense to hold long long time if operations are good and if you need to pull money out do so from financing options... however...

Now is a good time to sell

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=housingrental]Now is a good time to sell

Enlighten us on this logic please !

Be specific as to property types and locations .. so what may be true in ON may not be true in AB or SK or for certain assets.

Unclear is also how much rates will rise .. if prime goes up 2% within 2 years .. from 3% to 5% .. we will see prime minus 1.x% LOCs and mortgages again .. still below 4% ! 5 year bond rates may go up 0.25% to 0.75% in 3 years .. say 5 year mortgage may be high 4% .. hardly a reason to panic !!

housingrental

Registered
Sure Thomas, happy to help!

Property types: Non apartment residential real estate - Detached / townhouse / semi / condo apartment / duplex / triplex / rooming houses / mobile homes / cottages - Selected apartment buildings

Locations - 95-99% + area's in Canada - Discerning which select area's to keep in advance is a fool's game - it won't be known until after the fact....With a good chunk likely being in hard to invest area's... Smaller markets where significant local expertise is needed for success....

Please let me know if there's anything more I can do to better assist you in your quest for knowledge :)

As always, your perspective is valued...

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=housingrental]Property types: Non apartment residential real estate - Detached / townhouse / semi / condo apartment / duplex / triplex / rooming houses / mobile homes / cottages - Selected apartment buildings

Locations - 95-99% + area's in Canada

you're saying that ALL those property types in MOST markets are bad investments .. and one should sell now ? WHY ??? Because rates might go up 0.5% to 1.25% over 3 years ?

Rickson9

Registered
[quote user=housingrental]Some investors would like to stick there head in the sand

The reality:

Selling is rarely a good thing in real estate investments - often makes more sense to hold long long time if operations are good and if you need to pull money out do so from financing options... however...

I agree.

housingrental

Registered
Wow - Rickson agreeing with me - I'm in shock :)

Thank you Rickson

[quote user=Rickson9][quote user=housingrental]Some investors would like to stick there head in the sand

The reality:

I agree.

housingrental

Registered
Hi Thomas

Yes I'm saying that

Re my other posts in other threads my concerns include, but are not limited to, interest rates....

[quote user=ThomasBeyer][quote user=housingrental]Property types: Non apartment residential real estate - Detached / townhouse / semi / condo apartment / duplex / triplex / rooming houses / mobile homes / cottages - Selected apartment buildings

Locations - 95-99% + area's in Canada

you're saying that ALL those property types in MOST markets are bad investments .. and one should sell now ? WHY ??? Because rates might go up 0.5% to 1.25% over 3 years ?

Top Bottom