Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rich Dad Poor Dad

TSCRealEstate

Registered
My wife and I enrolled in Rich Dad last December. Initially it looked very promising. We have discovered along the way, that we are starting to become disillusioned. Sessions are too short, get the feeling that our homework is not being reviewed by our coach and not getting the kind of feedback we feel is needed to support our growth. We have taken some mindsets from the program which have been extremely good, however beyond that we are disappointed.

NitaVenter

Registered
My partner and I also took the Rich Dad coaching course last year Feb, and had read a number of Roberts books before taking the next step into the coaching. What I can say is that there were a number of positive elements that really changed our mindset for the better, but found that the homework and real estate content was lacking in Canadian research and applicability.

It was this lack of research and process that lead us to the REIN group - We attended our first QuickStart event last weekend in Vancouver and knew we were in the RIGHT place and became members without hesitation as it lined up with all the criteria we had written down a year ago!

I would be happy to answere any further questions if you need.

Take care -
`Nita

ronda

Registered
QUOTE (NitaVenter @ Feb 21 2008, 09:04 PM)
My partner and I also took the Rich Dad coaching course last year Feb, and had read a number of Roberts books before taking the next step into the coaching. What I can say is that there were a number of positive elements that really changed our mindset for the better, but found that the homework and real estate content was lacking in Canadian research and applicability.

It was this lack of research and process that lead us to the REIN group - We attended our first QuickStart event last weekend in Vancouver and knew we were in the RIGHT place and became members without hesitation as it lined up with all the criteria we had written down a year ago!

I would be happy to answere any further questions if you need.

Take care -

'Nita

I couldn't agree with you more. I attended my first Quickstart in Vancouver last weekend and also became a member!!

joeiannuzzi

Registered
QUOTE (ronda @ Feb 21 2008, 08:17 PM) I couldn`t agree with you more. I attended my first Quickstart in Vancouver last weekend and also became a member!!

In December 2002, Rich Dad real estate expert Dolf de Roos (now replaced by Ken McElroy) came to Calgary to give a live presentation on real estate and promote his book Real Estate Riches. Accompanying him were three support staff. Unbeknownst to him, I along with three other REIN members sat in the front row and were able to answer every single question he had for the audience! The one I recall the most was when he asked the crowd, "What is the best place in Alberta to invest?" The crowd said Calgary through and through and I yelled out Devon because it had temporarily displaced Edmonton for the top spot. He replied "You mean it is not Edmonton?" and I said no and presented him with the top 10 towns listing for Alberta.

After the presentation, we continued to go back and forth with Dolf and his team and he admitted that we were pros and did not need his help!

The point I want to make is that we went up against the very best Rich Dad had to offer and took everything he had in his bag of tricks. Since then REIN has skyrocketed in terms of the incredible depth and talent throughout the country and is much stronger than ever before. I firmly believe that regardless if you live in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, the greater Toronto area or elsewhere, you are with the best with REIN.

timk519

Registered
QUOTE (Phantomtib @ Feb 7 2008, 06:02 PM) then in the last 45 minute the speaker decides to break from the program and squeeze the section on Corporate structure and asset protection in before the end of the day... This was one of the main reasons I paid for this course so i was pissed that he rushed it, but what are you gonna do

I got the idea....

You start holding company
Buy shares of holding company and name yourself director
You give money to company as shareholder loan
Holding company then starts a Real Estate Company and a consulting company
Real Estate company buys the House, and get some of the money from the holding company (which actually is a shareholder loan of your own money) The holding company writes a paper mortgage against the house and then the real estate company effectively owns the house, but has little or no equity because it owes everything to the bank and to the holding company.

Assuming your house investment is actually flowing cash and you`re making money, you deduct all operating expenses related to the actual house and then whatever is left will be profit for the Real estate Company.

Now Because someone had to go out and find the deal and take care of the closing and contracts etc... (ie your CONSULTING company) you now hand a bill to your Real Estate company from your Consulting company for the remainder of profit left over. If you keep it int he RE company it will bet taxed at 30+% because real estate isnt considered an active business. However real estate consulting is providing a service and is therefor considered an ctive service and the money brought into the consulting company is only taxed at 17% or so.

So now you have effectively removed ALL of the equity and cashflow from the company that owns your house which you are the director of, but you dont own, your holding company owns it.

Now you can save some more money in taxes by deducting office suplies, office space etc from the Consulting companies profit furhter reducing the amount of money that will be taxed at 17%.

Now heres where it gets good

You can apparently send a PERSONAL invoice from yourself to your consulting company (which is owned by the holding company) and you can bill mileage and percentages of your house etc for office space `USAGE` and further reduce the amount of money that will be taxed. This makes sense to me, and as a consultant I`ve done some things like this, although I don`t have a holding company yet.

HOWEVER - this may also run into issues where - since you own both companies, Rev Can may deem them to effectively be the same and tax the RE income regardless of the "consulting" services provided by the other company.

BTW - the "consulting" company does do work for other clients, right?
style_emoticons
And it`s charging the market the same rates it`s charging your RE company? If not, you may be deemed to be an "employee" of the RE company, and all those nice deductions and tax advantages disallowed.

and this part....
QUOTE (Phantomtib @ Feb 7 2008, 06:02 PM) So once all of this has been done, the money the consulting corporation has been taxed fairly and legally and cant be taxed again. This is when you transfer it to the Holding company. Well, it`s deemed a transfer between related companies or something like that, which is why it doesn`t attract tax. Holding companies are also a way to creditor-proof your cash and other assets.

QUOTE (Phantomtib @ Feb 7 2008, 06:02 PM) From the holding company you can withdraw up to 32,000 per year per shareholder as a non taxed dividend. Thus completing the circle of asset protection and tax evasion, i mean minimization for the purpose of maximizing profits I`ve pulled money out of my consulting company as a dividend before, and I`ve always paid taxes on it. Granted, it was at a lower rate than if it was paid as "income", but it was still taxed.

So - talk to your accountant about this - I`d be extremely surprised if this is legal. Matter of fact, you`d probably do better to talk to a good tax lawyer / accountant who knows the laws of your area and can adivise you of the proper structure to follow for your business than to go to a seminar like this.

Also, if my costs are any indication (book-keeper + accountant = $2K / year) - running 3 companies like that`ll cost ~$3K - 5K / year just in professional and lawyer fees. Bet he didn`t tell you that!

Briannah

Registered
Hi Rhonda,

Yes, I enrolled in that course too. I did the $500 `overview` - for which Phantomtib described very well. His name is Marc Mousseau and interestingly, `the Mousseau`s` are discussed often in Don`s success stories. I don`t know if its the same guy. Anyway, we signed up for a few courses after the overview but luckily, our bank declined the transaction (they said it was flagged as a gambling website!). I say luckily because we went to the first `compulsory` course (Rich U) and it was such a waste of time. Marc had already sent us and covered everything that was in Rich U. I felt like I`d basically paid $5000 to watch people do the homework that was supposed to be done before the course. After day 1, we got out and we`re allowed to do another course instead but can`t get our money back. Urgh. All this happened before I joined REIN and I wish I had found REIN first.

Rich U was awful. Essentially, after watching a drunk mortgage broker `spin us a yarn` for 45 minutes to illustrate a bad example of a power team member, I was nearly in tears. I`d paid all this money to learn real estate and wasn`t getting any answers! That`s the thing about the Rich Dad program - they never give you a straight answer! They arouse your curiosity long enough to just keep stringing you along. Not to mention that most of the material is for the US market. Obviously, we`d been `sold` by Marc. Let me tell you all that they have the shiniest guys in the beginning - Mark Preston and Marc Mousseau - to sucker you in. After that, look out. The manuals so far have been written for children and the so-called help line is just if you need help understanding the manual! I was told that the `advisors` answer basic questions only and if you have specific RE questions, ask your power team members. Great. Fat lot of help that is.

Nope, if you haven`t handed over your money, DON`T. If you have, I`m sorry but I doubt you`ll get it back. Trust your gut - everything you need you`ll find right here on REIN...

Good luck.

PARAMJIT001

Registered
Thank You for your detailed version of this course.
Very well done.
Thank You for your time.

kilo1122

Registered
Dammit! I wish I had found your post briannah before I signed up for those courses.

Who do you bank with? I want to call my bank and ask why they didn`t flag them for me! Maybe we have the same bank?

So, they gave you a $5K credit - what do you think you`ll do with it?

Thanks for the advice, after reading all of this I feel like a total brat.

I was so excited to attend too.

Thanks for answering, if you have time.

kimloh

Registered
Hello Ronda,

My husband and I have just completed our Rich Dad Coaching and enjoyed it immensely. It really gave a balanced perspective on life which included development of a 1, 3 & 5 year financial/personal goal setting. It educated us in paper assets, real estate, establishing our own balance sheet to track our expenses/income/assets/liabilities, setting up business entities, etc. Although it was an American outlook on investing, besides the tax implications (which we chose to skip over and consult with our accountant), it was a fantastic experience. Having a coach guide your decision processes and hold you accountable on a weekly basis was a much needed environment for us. As a result, we have successfully been maintaining our personal goals for year one, and are still looking for that 4/8 plex to invest in to provide us with the desired ROI we want on our real estate. It kept us grounded and able to focus specifically on what works in our lives with a growing family/real estate investing/work/etc.

Just my two cents
style_emoticons

princecharles

Registered
Wow this is really helpful Phantomtib! Thank you

Hearing about the final day would be great if you have a chance, I am more interested in wholesaling.

And truthfully I am already having concerns that this mboard is peppered with rein employees, a lot of subtle and not so subtle ads for rein, would average unbiased people actually create their own links to sign up pages?? just sayin.

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
QUOTE (princecharles @ Sep 24 2008, 07:44 AM)
Wow this is really helpful Phantomtib! Thank you

Hearing about the final day would be great if you have a chance, I am more interested in wholesaling.

And truthfully I am already having concerns that this mboard is peppered with rein employees, a lot of subtle and not so subtle ads for rein, would average unbiased people actually create their own links to sign up pages?? just sayin.

Great that you have a level of skepticism - very healthy in this world of sharks. I think you'll find, when dealing with us at REIN that everything is up front and very clear, and we are always open to questions. Any REIN Employee on this forum has that clearly stated in their signature or name section.

After supporting investors in Canada for the last 16 years and seeing the results, we know that Members and other investors who use our research do incredibly well, and if they feel inclined to put links in their posts, it is because they feel strongly about what they got from it.

Secondarily, people are doing it and taking action... and that is the best sign of reality that we can have.

I encourage you to keep your radar up, but also don't let it get too much in your way.

Great post!

KevinMatwichuk

Registered
One thing I love about being a REIN member is that once you are a member you are never pressured to purchase other products or services. A member is a member! and you are surrounded by hundreds of potential mentors who are walking the walk. All you have to do is ask someone for advice and most are eager to help you.

I am a huge fan of the Rich Dad - Poor Dad books and have enjoyed them all. Because of this I attended one of their recent weekend seminars (sales pitches). I expected this to be similar to a REIN Quickstart weekend but from a different perspective, boy was I surprised. Here`s how the Rich Dad event went:

Step 1: The speakers spend several hours coaching the attendees how to increase the credit limits on our credit cards. We were even given a script.
Step 2: The homework for the night was to call your credit card company and see how high you could get you limit raised to. (So that you would be ready to invest quickly when the time came)
Step 3: The next day the attendees were ask to come to the mike and share their success stories on how much they got the card limits raised. (I must say the REIN success stories are very diffident, check them out..)
Step 4: Now that a good portion of the attendees now had new available credit, the killer close began (on about an hourly basis for the next day and a half). The speakers aggressively pushed their mentoring services.
Step 5: I got several follow calls for a couple of weeks after continuing to push the mentoring services.

WOWW!! I wonder how may people filled up their newly expanded credit cards and still do not own a piece of real estate?

The weekend was not a total waste though as I was able to play the `Cash Flow` game which I would highly recommend to anyone.

For anyone who is suspicious of REIN it is money well spent to attend a weekend quickstart. This will give you an indication of the professionalism of the REIN team and members. From there you can make your mind up for yourself.

Kevin

TerryKruse

Registered
We spent about $30k on mentoring and courses before we joined REIN. While there was a lot of information that was good, we also had to "re-learn" a lot of the information we were given.

Buy the Rich Dad Books. We read them and the principles in them are great for personal development.

Think twice and research before you buy the course. It seems to me that a lot of the information sold is based on a greed principal. Simply put: If you buy this course, then you will be able to find out how to get free money to buy houses and become rich...

The best step we took was joining REIN. This has given us a grounded education, based on sound principles. Everything taught can be done here in Canada.

Terry

princecharles

Registered
QUOTE (DonCampbell @ Sep 24 2008, 03:15 PM)
Great that you have a level of skepticism - very healthy in this world of sharks. I think you'll find, when dealing with us at REIN that everything is up front and very clear, and we are always open to questions. Any REIN Employee on this forum has that clearly stated in their signature or name section.

After supporting investors in Canada for the last 16 years and seeing the results, we know that Members and other investors who use our research do incredibly well, and if they feel inclined to put links in their posts, it is because they feel strongly about what they got from it.

Secondarily, people are doing it and taking action... and that is the best sign of reality that we can have.

I encourage you to keep your radar up, but also don't let it get too much in your way.

Great post!

Thanks Don I very much appreciate your response and honesty. As a result of that and some other research I am going to invest in one of your books for a closer look at the REIN system. So far I like what I hear. And yes I could sense some sort of affiliate marketing scheme among REIN members, which there is nothing inherently wrong with at all. Although I think it is always helpful to try and raise awareness.

And let me get this straight about the Rich Dad seminar:

they supply you with a script to INCREASE your credit limits

in order to help fund your REAL ESTATE INVESTMENTS

send you off with an ASSIGNMENT pressuring you to get as much as you can

ask by a show of hands who had their limits increased and by how much

and then force feed you offers of seminars costing $8K to $40K???

Oh dear. Wake up folks! Are people really this myopic?? I suppose that if these people didn't get burned by Rich Dad they would just get burned by something else anyway..

It has been said that if you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

How much is ignorant education?

Ha!

RArora

Registered
Earlier this year (March 08) my interest in Real Estate Investing was piqued when I read 3 books by David Bach.
Automatic Millionaire: Homeowner, Smart Couples Finish Rich, Start late Finish rich. I couldn`t put them down and in 2 days and nights of reading n re-reading some chapters I knew I had to act NOW.
So i started doing research on how to invest in RE. strangely, there was a Rich Dad free seminar 2 weeks from then and I took my husband along for it. Convinced this was what we needed we coughed up the $500 to attend the 3 day workshop...
the workshop is an overview of everything-so you hear and learn new terms like wholesaling, VTBs etc and for that it was fine.
However since we went after doing research we knew what to expect-we knew it would be high pressure sales almost like Timeshare presentations and knew they would ask us to do an `assignment` to increase our credit limits over the lunch hour-so that then we couldn`t say `Sorry, I dont have $5k to $40k available to sign up for the other courses`-which is what its all about...

Armed with some more info about RE, and our eyes open I went on to do further research to try n find a way/group that knew what it was all about and could help me as well...

And then I found the REIN forums and spoke to many members-ALL of whom were very open and honest about everything.
The staff is ALWAYS open and polite-something we did not experience in Rich Dad... there they acted like `know it alls` who would not answer ANY qs directly - n only tell u to pay 5 figure $s to learn more... n we had read enough reviews of how people felt they were taken for a ride after they had done those as well... a co. that treats you like lower echelons of society is not one I was willing to pay money to learn from...
Since joining REIN in June 08 REIN has opened up a whole new world, almost. if this sounds like an ad for it-sorry-but that`s how I feel...
EVERY member i have spoken to is positive and focussed and helpful... there`s enough for everyone-they say! the meetings are something we all need as it gives you not just the chance to network with like minded people but gives you the motivation you need to go on-knowing there are others in the same boat and others who were on the same boat that are now navigating the seas on Large ships-as they have increased their portfolios manyfolds...

You would think people who own 8 or 100 properties would look very swanky-dress in Armani or Gucci suits and be off-handish... but here we haven`t encountered any such show-offism either. people use their money to invest and make wise decisions not to tout $s etc... seriously Im always surprised when i see young people at the meetings in Toronto and they say ` I just closed on my 100th property ` n you think WOW! n u still look like anyone else. and they`re still as helpful and ready to guide you, as much as their time allows.

I force my husband to drive me to Ottawa every other month just to be part of these meetings-cause I know they won`t let me stop and will urge me on-and all the info I get-I know what to believe in the news and what not to!

we bought one rental townhome in July this yr and are looking for a duplex/triplex now before the yr ends...

And THANK YOU for a wonderful field trip in September, Donna, Don and the whole team of REIN!!!! I was on the BEST bus-2!!!! and it was a GREAT learning experience!
style_emoticons

JoefromTO

REIN Member
I think I`m at the same stage is PrinceCharles. I`m reading the 1st book and so far the info is sound advice. However, I`m am realizing that its alot of work to score a property, or for that matter, to score and area. There is also the issue of knowing what "season" the economy and markets are in.

I feel like I need to do alot of homework before I even feel like I am confident with this new advice.

As for Richdadpoordad, I too called into inquire what was involved in the coaching. I kept asking what the cost is and never got an answer. The person only asked me if I was serious and ready...My answer was, "If I`m calling its because I`m curious...and trying to find out if I should be serious and ready...to deal with you (refering to the rich dad phone rep)".

Needless to say, I felt the pressure, and I do NOT ever react under pressure...I walk away. So that is a trait of mine that goes with what Don C has mentioned in his book, don`t let emotions guide you...use facts.

That pressure turned me off. I am serious and very motivated, but I also like to think that I`m methodical and/or careful. So here I was...still looking for help and guidance. That`s when I found Don`s book and am in the process of reading it. So far so good. Then i found this website, even better.

What everone needs to realize who comes and visits these forums is that there are many con`s and scam`s out there. So people typically are defensive by nature and rightfully so. I have no intentions of ever droping my guard. But in order to really make any progress in anything, you need to put some trust somewhere.

Someone also commented by saying "use your gutt". So far my gutt hasnt sent me any warning signals about this site, in fact, I`m developing more confidence everyday. I`ll decide to commit and become a member once I`m satisfied that the knowledge and support I will receive encompass all that concerns me.

coolaj

Registered
QUOTE (Phantomtib @ Feb 7 2008, 07:02 PM) This is what I found.....

Hey Y`all

Remember back in August they were advertising a free seminar about real estate investing put on by rich dad poor dad?

Well I went to the free seminar they put on at the Deerfoot Casino conference room. It was mostly a bunch of gobbledeegook for people who have ZERO background with Rich Dad Poor dad or Real estate or investing period, but the speaker did pique my interest when he started going into to Zero Down purchasing, flipping, wholesaling, asset protection etc..

So like the brainwashed sheep I am I paid the 500 dollars to go to the real 3 day course which for me started today. I am just going to put up my review of the material covered and comments for those who may have been thiking of doing the same - This might save you a couple hundred bux, or maybe you`ll want to do the same

I`m trying to make this as unbiased as possible. Just so you know I have a little bit of background in investment real estate, but I`d only say i know more then the average person on the street, I am by no means a professional at this and thats why I am taking the course.

The basic set up of the course is one guy "Marc Gatineau????" does all the speaking but there are these `advisors` that kind of hang out in the back and answer questions for Marc because hes a dick and absolutely will not talk to you no matter what unless hes soliciting audience participation.

The room is split into many 6 person tables and you end up moving to a new table every 2-3 hours and meeting new people which was kind of fun.
===================================
===================================
Day 1:

Hey Phantomtib, great review.
i just visited the same thing in Toronto and it was the same guy - Marc.

Just wanted to add some comments and what happened on day 3 of the seminar.

The first thing I suspected that was wrong was when Marc Mousseau started talking about mentors and him put Anthony Robbins as "Tony Robins" on the board.

The second thing was that although he did say to take notes in the workbook - we opened it 3 times for the entire course.

The third thing that I noticed was that there problems with numbering of the points, which showed me their lack of preparation for this teaching.

QUOTE (Phantomtib @ Feb 7 2008, 07:02 PM) LOCs require a minimum of 3% of the utilized credit each month
When applying for a loan at the bank the bank will assume a min 3% payment on your whole LOC as if it were maxed out, but will only assume the minimum payments of your CCs at that time

^^^ now regarding this, my bank used my total credit on my LOCs AND my CCs and figured a minimum 3% payment. D.Dub if you are reading this - Do you do the same? I cant remember, anyways the speaker said that only banks do that and that Mortgage Brokers do not. Not sure if this is truth or fiction.

I had the same experience in real life. We had a mortgage broker in the room and Marc even asked him did calculated the Credit Card payment of 3% and the mortgage broker said yes. But Marc disagreed with him and said that his consultants told him this information.

QUOTE (Phantomtib @ Feb 7 2008, 07:02 PM) Then around 5:00pm we busted out teh Cashflow 101 ame that they try to sell you in all of kyosakis books. I actually own this game and I think its pretty fun - But I was the only person in the joint who knew how to play it. We played for an hour and a half??? Seemed more like 35 minutes and I think i rolled the dice maybe 5 times... Then we all had a big discussion and people got up and talked about their `FEELINGS` towards the game... gawd

then in the last 45 minute the speaker decides to break from the program and squeeze the section on Corporate structure and asset protection in before the end of the day... This was one of the main reasons I paid for this course so i was pissed that he rushed it, but what are you gonna do

During my class the game setup was horrible. What happened was that Marc did not really explained the rules and just said figure it out. After 30-45 minutes of playing he stopped the game and said - how many of you are frustrated? How many are confused? How many have no idea of what they are doing?

After talking for another 5 minutes he said that if the table will be able to come up with 15000 and give it to mentor then the mentor will join their table and help them get out of the rat race.

After 10 minutes someone obviously did it and the Mentor puled out the Big deal - it was an apartment house and then he had a special deal with hard money lenders that will be giving 24% intrest rate (if you know that in the game it is 120%). So suddenly with this kind of thing every single deal in the Big Deal will always cashflow. That table gets out of the rat race.

Then Marc asked - so now do you see that you need mentors help?
At that point I understood that a huge sales pitch is coming in near future.

During the Day one there was also some Jeff and he came to the mike and told his story of how he close the deal of a strip mall in Sudbury for 3 millions and now is selling it for 8 millions. Basically convincing again that the mentor program is great and everything.

Day 2:

QUOTE (Phantomtib @ Feb 7 2008, 07:02 PM) 9:00amOK So the morning discussion started off with everyone sharing their stories about what they learned from their Credit Bureau reports.

I used to have a 758.... Now I don`t, and that made me very very sad.

During these ours Marc actually took mine report and went through it explaining what it was. So I got a tip afterward of what I should do

QUOTE (Phantomtib @ Feb 7 2008, 07:02 PM) CONTRACTS

The contracts was also my favorite part because Marc really did his stuff and gave a lot of good information.

QUOTE (Phantomtib @ Feb 7 2008, 07:02 PM) 12:00pm Normally we break for lunch here but today Marc decided we`d go through much to 1:00 and cover Foreclosures and Power or Sale and Pre-Foreclosures

Same was said for this one as well.

QUOTE (Phantomtib @ Feb 7 2008, 07:02 PM) 2:30pm
Story time. Marc told us a story about condo plans where he sold the wrong codos to the wrong people and lost a lot of money.

Same here. He told a very scary story about his friends buying 2 apartment houses and then the got burned, the tenants moved out and his friend personally guranteed his house so he lost everything.

Since I done NLP and basically this is what Tony Robbins is teaching this is called swinging of emotions - when people`s mode are shaken from very positive emotions to very negative and stressful emotions. This technique really helps to sell because most of the people get scared and after it gets back to the positive emotions the person feels connected to the seller.

QUOTE (Phantomtib @ Feb 7 2008, 07:02 PM) 10 unit townhouses for sale. FMV for each alone is 125k, vendor was selling all 10 for 1,000,000

yeap, the same story

QUOTE (Phantomtib @ Feb 7 2008, 07:02 PM) 3:30pm THE PITCH

The pitch was great. After this they asked to talked to the `advisors` (basically good sales people) about signing up for the advanced training.
At the next day though the guy came to mike and asked if anyone would want to split the cost with him. He also said that they actually agreed to charged only $1000 for any additional class above the recommended package of 22K, but Marc made him shut up immediately and the guy went to the back of the room.

There were guys asking the question of why the hell is the education so expensive but Marc`s reply was - if you want to suceed in this business you have to get good advice and it`s cost money. What a BS!!!

After that were Lease options and sandwich options.

During the day there were also VTB and he just slightly touched on "quit claim" that you should have when you have a VTB. Basically in a quit claim you make the the buyer of your property sign a document under the VTB agreement that if will be late by more than X number of days in his payment to you - you get the property back with no questions asked.

TONY ROBBINS STORY

The last topic of the day was how Marc attended Tony Robbins Firework Seminar. Very touchy with details of how he signed up and got to this stage and everything with real pictures of Marc 20 years ago and his feet burned a bit from the coals. At the end - a emotional statement that that seminar touched his life. Will advance cources touch your life?

DAY 3

8 am - 9:30 am - meeting with "advisors"
9:30 am
We started out again the the "advisors" to help the people to sign up for the courses.

At the beginning there some sharing in front of the mike and lots of emotions and everything.

10 am Land Development

Nothing much valuable to me because I did not see any value in what he was saying, just some common sence.
After that he throwed 2 stories of Costa Rica and how he had this 1.2 Billion project and he sold and got from the sale 0.75 million bucks and then the story of Trinidad where he went to some old buy to this horrible estate and yellow sheets and horrible food and had to drink scotch.

At 12 pm we started playing the cashflow game
During the first day Marc said that it will be a workable lunch which I thought meant that the lunches would be provided but I was wrong.

The rules of the game were changed a bit: instead of 10% of intrest from bank loan it was only 5%. And we could negotiate it even lower if we wanted to.

I went out for lucng and then join a table. People were completely lost and they just rolled the dice 2-3 times and pulled out a big deal as it was adviced during the Day 1.
I had to explained the whole thing from the beginning and after 30 minutes most of the people understood the game. After another 15-20 minutes they were negotiating the deals as crazy.
At the 2:30 when the game finished one from the table was out of rat race, most of us had at least 30-60K, some around 200K and they very grateful to me for explaining the whole thing.

2:30 Software product

Marc just throwed some examples of how great this software product was.
I thought it was ok, maybe I would pay for this tool 200-300 bucks but certainly not 2500 as they wanted.

3:00 Commercial properties

He went over some general stuff. Talked about NOI and explained what it is. Talked about triple leases and gross leases, what is TI and some other general information. I thought it was useful and the were no details again.

There was also a story of how he got this 14 floor apartment building and was able to convert the top 4 floors into condos and then after another 4 floor for a profit of 6 millions and he still got the 6 floor of 800K a year with no mortgage on the property.

3:45 Property management

General stuff and common sence only. Give gave information on what to exprect to pay for the property managers that was helpful. He also shared some unexpected costs that the managers might deduct from your income. And some tips on how to manage tenatns which I found useful. Another story of his business partner Jean Lebeau and the document that he presented to the bank and how 27 banks turned him down and did not finance the deal. When he tried to explain why - I could not undestand because he moved so quickly to something else.
He also actually had the address of the building that he bought - 47 Orchard, Chatham. When I tried to find it - I found 47 Orchard Heights Dr, Chatham, ONhttp://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=47%...sa=N&tab=wl. It looked the same.

The 80/10/10 rule - 80% will be good tenants. 10% will be great ones and 10% will make you suffer.
Another story was about aplication signing and how he got FBI or some sort of secret services into his apartment building and how he evicted the girl after couple of month living there and how she destroyed the apartment for 35K and he did not get the application from her.

4:45 pm
This is the end for general public. He said thank you and those who signed up - please stay. I could have stayed but since I was so discussed with the sales pitches and everything I did not want to stay.

OTHER THINGS:
the other thing that I noticed is that all of the cources at the back table were from a company called "Wealth Intelligence Academy". When I typed it in the Google on Saturday - I found a connection that they are all Russ Whitney seminars.
When I looked on Sunday at these binding they all said "Whitney Canada" at the beginnig and there were lots of Russ Whitney quotes during the books.

I have no idea how Russ Whitney is connected to this or is he even connected but this was the final reason why decided to run away from it.

Concerning Marc itself - I have a strong feeling that he is not a real estate investor at all but a big great sales man, he attended the Tony Robbins, that shows but I doubt that any of the stories that he tells are true.

Another thing: he always said - put the pens down I what you guys to understand the concept. Not just copy the thing. This is the first time I seen that someone told me not to take notes.

Another thing: out of the whole 3 days course we only opened the workbook 3 times!!! What kind of workbook is that?

MY GENERAL THOUGHT: if you are very new to real estate - it is a great cource. If you even bought a property - this is probably good stuff for you but most of it you know or have general knowledge. You might not know the lease options or sandwitch options but in general you are understanding the concept. But my recommendations is to not buy advanced cources.

calreshawn

Registered
QUOTE (Briannah @ Feb 24 2008, 01:03 PM)
Hi Rhonda,

Yes, I enrolled in that course too. I did the $500 'overview' - for which Phantomtib described very well. His name is Marc Mousseau and interestingly, 'the Mousseau's' are discussed often in Don's success stories. I don't know if its the same guy. Anyway, we signed up for a few courses after the overview but luckily, our bank declined the transaction (they said it was flagged as a gambling website!). I say luckily because we went to the first 'compulsory' course (Rich U) and it was such a waste of time. Marc had already sent us and covered everything that was in Rich U. I felt like I'd basically paid $5000 to watch people do the homework that was supposed to be done before the course. After day 1, we got out and we're allowed to do another course instead but can't get our money back. Urgh. All this happened before I joined REIN and I wish I had found REIN first.

Rich U was awful. Essentially, after watching a drunk mortgage broker 'spin us a yarn' for 45 minutes to illustrate a bad example of a power team member, I was nearly in tears. I'd paid all this money to learn real estate and wasn't getting any answers! That's the thing about the Rich Dad program - they never give you a straight answer! They arouse your curiosity long enough to just keep stringing you along. Not to mention that most of the material is for the US market. Obviously, we'd been 'sold' by Marc. Let me tell you all that they have the shiniest guys in the beginning - Mark Preston and Marc Mousseau - to sucker you in. After that, look out. The manuals so far have been written for children and the so-called help line is just if you need help understanding the manual! I was told that the 'advisors' answer basic questions only and if you have specific RE questions, ask your power team members. Great. Fat lot of help that is.

Nope, if you haven't handed over your money, DON'T. If you have, I'm sorry but I doubt you'll get it back. Trust your gut - everything you need you'll find right here on REIN...

Good luck.

Rhonda,

You are so right, thank goodness I found REIN.

I too attended a Rich Dad Poor Dad seminar last year by the arrogant Mark Preston. At first, I was interested, but then things soured for me as Mark Preston's true colours began to shine. As he showed properties and was boasting about his accomplishments, the lady sitting next to me leaned over and said, "an agent in my office listed that property a few years ago, and I can tell you for a fact that Mark Preston was NOT the investor. He's such a LIAR!"

It made me wonder if I could believe anything he said? Has anyone else had a similar experience with Mark Preston? Are all his real estate claims true? I have been around the real estate market in Calgary for the last 10 years and have never heard of this guy?

How sad that Mr. Robert Kiyosaki wasn't more careful to check the credentials of Mark Preston. Is he really a Canadian?

I have read Rich Dad Poor Dad, and The Cash Flow Quadrant from Robert Kiyosaki, and have a lot of respect for what they are trying to teach people. After seeing him on TV, I believe he is a very wise, honest and sincere man. Maybe just not so smart to be in league with Mark Preston.

REIN is definitely on the right track!

Cheers!

ronhargrave72

Registered
QUOTE (calreshawn @ Jan 5 2009, 04:44 PM)

Rhonda,

You are so right, thank goodness I found REIN.

I too attended a Rich Dad Poor Dad seminar last year by the arrogant Mark Preston. At first, I was interested, but then things soured for me as Mark Preston's true colours began to shine. As he showed properties and was boasting about his accomplishments, the lady sitting next to me leaned over and said, "an agent in my office listed that property a few years ago, and I can tell you for a fact that Mark Preston was NOT the investor. He's such a LIAR!"

It made me wonder if I could believe anything he said? Has anyone else had a similar experience with Mark Preston? Are all his real estate claims true? I have been around the real estate market in Calgary for the last 10 years and have never heard of this guy?

How sad that Mr. Robert Kiyosaki wasn't more careful to check the credentials of Mark Preston. Is he really a Canadian?

I have read Rich Dad Poor Dad, and The Cash Flow Quadrant from Robert Kiyosaki, and have a lot of respect for what they are trying to teach people. After seeing him on TV, I believe he is a very wise, honest and sincere man. Maybe just not so smart to be in league with Mark Preston.

REIN is definitely on the right track!

Cheers!

You are all lucky that you found REIN! Here you will learn investing methods that are appropriate for your city or province. Your comments about Mark Preston are also right; we smell a RAT!

Some friends from my investor group know Mark Preston from Calgary and listened to his speeches at the free Rich Dad Poor Dad seminars and say he is a compulsive LIAR. I think you`d also find the Alberta Office of Consumer Affairs has quite a file on him already.

He is introduce at the beginning as an international resort developer; we found out that he just sold some timeshares. He shows pictures of various properties that he supposedly invested in; public record shows he never invested in any of them, but claims he did. Remember the big checks he showed last year? Notice how most of the info was blanked out? Hey, I wonder why there was no names on those checks? (we`re still looking into that one). Did anyone ever catch the Alberta LTD number? My favourite part is when he talks about his 50 or 60 properties that he`s invested in - HUGE LIE! We found out that he would be hard pressed to prove actual ownership of 5 never mind 58!

Fraud is defined as a deliberate deception practiced in order to secure unfair gain by one who assumes a false pose. Sounds familiar? Buyer Beware! I wonder how many people would have dumped 500 dollars into the Rich Dad 3 day seminar if they knew that they had been lied to by Mr. Preston? People are so intimidated by the scare tactics he uses in his talk that no one ever thinks to question the veracity of his claims. It looks like the provincial government might start asking him a lot of questions!

It`s too bad, because I believe that what Robert Kiyosaki teaches people in his books and seminars actually works. I also have a lot of respect for Mr. Kiyosaki, and am convinced that if he knew what a con Mark was, he`d take care of him, and good.

You want some good advice? Stick with REIN. I have never heard anything but good things about this organization.

Ronny

AndyLuchies

Registered
My wife and I did the Rich Dad weekend ($500 thing) which was worth it because of all the free stuff with it, cds, books, etc.

HOWEVER, REIN is so much better. We also did the QUICKSTART with REIN-- imagine a rich dad weekend with NO PRESSURE to buy anything, it was glorious.

Don`t waste $5000 per course when $200/month for REIN will get you plenty of good canadian specific stuff and awesome networking!

For the price of one RICH DAD ACADEMY course you could get 2 YEARS of REIN. You just can`t beat that. Plus REIN is better for the "slower folk" like me. It takes you through everything with baby steps.

If $200 a month is too much, get the "by mail" membership for only $100 a month.

I have seen the light, I hope you will too.

Top Bottom