Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rents in Airdrie during recession time

kenko

Registered
Hi Everyone:

I am interested in purchasing a townhouse in Airdrie, AB as it is ranked 3rd place in Alberta top 10 towns.

However I am trying to do my due diligence and tries to plan the worst case scenario. I want to find out what the rental market was like during last recession time.( 2008-2012, I am trying to risk mitigate by considering what may happen during bad time, as my rental properties in Calgary have experienced about 10-15% rent reduction during last time) Would Airdrie, being a small town, experience more of rent reduction during bad time?

If you have invested in Airdrie or have invested in small towns, I would greatly appreciate to hear your thoughts/experience.

Thanks in advance!

Ken

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Based on our considerable experiences in smaller markets rents will drop far harder than Calgary, so budget 20-25% rent reduction AND vacancies will go up, too, say to 20%. But since you can usually buy at 25-50% below Calgary it may still make a lot of sense to buy in smaller towns; however they do have far more risk !

You cannot budget for the "worst case". Worst case is: interest rate go to 23%, oil is deemed illegal or levied with carbon offsets of $1000/barrel, Alberta experiences ex-migration of 50%. is that possible: yes. Is this likely: no !

kenko

Registered
Thank you for your insight, Thomas.

In this case, do you have any advice on how I should risk mitigate "appropriately" for investing in small town? Such as have a reserve fund for 6 months instead of 3 months?

Greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ken

brightdreams

Registered
Hi

Did you already buy property in Airdrie. I am looking at buying a house in there and wanted some insights as to which neighborhoods to target. Can you give me some advice? The reason I am looking there is I have a tenant who would like to move there.

Thanks

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=kenko]

In this case, do you have any advice on how I should risk mitigate "appropriately" for investing in small town? Such as have a reserve fund for 6 months instead of 3 months?
Yes, you have a higher reserve and lower leverage (loan-to-value say 65-75% as opposed to 80%). Airdrie is "almost Calgary" or "Calgary soon" so Airdrie won't be as bad as say Didsbury further out.

Top Bottom