Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Real Estate Investment Courses - Opinions

ClintL

Registered
I attended the basic 3-day real estate investment seminar by the Rich Dad Education group the other weekend. Although I thought the overall program gave me a decent overview of the different possible strategies I can use for investing, I don't feel that I was equipped with enough tools to actually implement any of them yet. I guess that's why they push the advanced courses which I did not sign up for yet.

I want to see what my options are for education here in Canada (Ontario) before taking the next step in terms of investing my money for the best course for me. I don't believe that any one group whether Rich Dad or even REIN has total exclusitivity on real estate investment knowledge.

What are people's opinions, especially those who have actually taken any of the following possible courses?

Advanced Rich Dad courses

Real Estate Investment Courses by Najtav Chandhoke

REIN's ACRE seminars

Clint

TodorYordanov

Registered
Education is very important! But nothing can replace experience, either your own or your mentors.

Start small, focus on cash-flow, read a lot of books, talk to a lot of people who have done exactly what you are thinking of doing. ACRE is a must because: the system that you will learn, the people that you are going to meet, the understanding that this is serious business and you must think about it in a very serious way.

It is all possible and doable. Combine doing with learning.

richardkp

REIN Member
We started by reading the ACRE book by Don. Once I had this it made perfect sense to go to ACRE weekend and then of course to join REIN as the event is free.

Don't confuse the course fee that you pay for the quality you will get!!

REIN ACRE is great as there is no "sell" just a system and support to get to you to take action. I know a little of the Rich Dad courses and I know that they can't say that!

My opinion - ACRE is the best so why try another.

manojsingh

Registered
I fully agree with all of the above post. REIN membership is best education you will get. I am REIN member from almost three years and bought more than 40 properties but in each monthly meetin I always learn some new thing. There is two fold education system here one is REIN educator and other part is fellow REIN members. My suggestion please come to one of REIN meeting (Paid) or even mastermind meeting (Free) and after that take the decision.

invst4profit

Registered
There is plenty more to learn about this business outside of motivational courses.

You also need to learn the Ontario Business regulations regarding rental properties as well. Study the RTA and LTB web sites and consider joining the Ontario landlord association forum if you really want to learn the business beyond investing.

johnsu

Registered
Courses:

The easier they make it sound, the more difficult it is to execute. The "more work" the course seems to have, the easier it is to execute. that's why these "0 down" deals sound great on surface but requires alot of "experience" and reasonable expectations. Great prices come with least favorable terms and Great terms usually comes with less favorable prices.

Hence these course that sound "so easy" require lots of experience or "extra coaches" to help walk your through the deal.

Another issue is this: If you're a "Seminar junkie" and have taken many courses, the problem isn't the course, it's YOU and your ineffective mindset.

REINteam

Registered
Hi Clint,

What I can tell you about the ACRE program and REIN members is that over the past 20 years of educating real estate investors across the country and the globe, members have purchased over $3.4 billion in Canadian cash flow real estate. That number certainly says something for a system that gives you the tools and confidence to go out and take real action.

If you want to learn a bit more about the ACRE program, check out http://www.acrelive.ca. There are are four events each year, and this spring they will be in Calgary on March 17-18 and in Toronto on April 14-15. If you have any questions, you can always contact our office by phone at 1-888-824-7346 or by e-mail at [email protected]. Cheers!

Tibo

Imagine, Believe & Achieve :-)
Registered
I did the ACRE Program in Toronto in spring 2008 and it was fantastic. I attended the course and every one wants you to succeed. I felt no pressure to sign up for anything. REIN wants you to be successful. Now I also attended the Rich Dad last September and felt the opposite. They made me feel like I knew nothing. I had 18 units buy that time. The guy sat me down and ask if I cashflowed (3 six plex that i already bought using the REIN). About $50 a door he told me to sell and take some courses. He failed to ask me how I buy my investments , like expenses vs revenue and vac rate, property management and repairs. I don't like people that tell me that I did wrong without showing me where I can improve. Anyways By the end of April I will have a part time employee 35 doors and still cash flowing. Thanks to REIN's ACRE course and the fact that I can pull the trigger when I see a good deal.

Thanks REIN

Nir

REIN Member
[quote user=MadisonNorton]over the past 20 years of educating real estate investors across the country and the globe, members have purchased over $3.4 billion in Canadian cash flow real estate. That number certainly says something for a system that gives you the tools and confidence to go out and take real action.

REIN is actually much better than that. I find that $3.4 Billion figure funny every time. I know Don is using it a lot. Here is why: let's say REIN had a total of 20,000 different members in the past 20 years. (some stayed for 2 years some longer). so 3.4B divided by 20,000 members = only $170K RE purchased per member!

That's not much, not sure it's even more than RE purchase per person in the population :)

Perhaps an indication that, at least in the past, many REIN members unfortunately have not purchased any RE and other top members purchased much more than average. 3.4B is a big number but when divided by the number of REIN members in the past 20 years (whether 10K, 20K or 30K) it's actually very little per person/member. REIN is much better than that :)

L

lanedry77

Hi Clint,

We've done about $8,500,000 of properties in the past 4.5 years since joining REIN. It may be the thing with the single biggest impact on our lives that we've ever done.

If you're serious about investing, it's a great decision.

Thanks,

David.

ClintL

Registered
Thanks for all your replies do far folks. I'm currently attending a real estate expo here in Toronto this weekend and got to sit in on talks by Russell W. from REIN, Najtav Chandhoke as well as a few other 'experts'. Although all have validity so far, I'm getting the best vibe from REIN so far so it's almost sure that I will attend the next ACRE event.

Clint

Tibo

Imagine, Believe & Achieve :-)
Registered
What do you mean almost sure???!

ClintL

Registered
Savannah Ross' talk also was quite interesting! Anybody want to comment on her program?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=Nir]20,000 different members in the past 20 years.
probably far less than that .. maybe 5000 - 6000 .. and assume 50% of people leave because they do NOTHING .. so that would be $3.4B divided by 2500 action takers = $1.3M per .. WOW !!

use a bell curve with many folks doing 1-2 houses that leaves an average of probably 5-8 for MANY .. and well over 50 for a few too !

.. many became multi-millionaries !

The ONLY other credible group is Ozzie Jurrock's REAG, in Vancouver (and Victoria) only .. similar monthly program.

bizaro86

Registered
I definitely had found that information (number of members) at one point, as I made a post estimating the annual revenue REIN derives from it's membership in answer to a question. Oddly, I can't find either that post or my original source. (I linked to it in the original post).

Michael

reinvestors88

Registered
Attended one of Najtav Chandhoke courses and in my opinion, I found it to be full-packed of broad information, vague presentations most of the times, poor reading materials, lack of system and follow up support/backing to attendees, and lots of bs stories. With high fee, I felt I was robbed. Hope they improve at this time.

Had the opportunity to attend REIN-ACRE and it completely surpassed my expectations - well organized reading materials and presentations, knowledgeable presenters, practical and simple to follow system, full support from REIN staff and members as well, etc. My time and money were well spent and really worth it.

Just my 2cents.

invst4profit

Registered
Something to keep in mind when considering joining or participating in investment courses or organisations such as REIN is the majority of people that do join the club rarely act on there plans.

Looking at REIN as a example out of a possible membership of between 5000 and 20,0000 (real numbers unknown) the estimate of those taking action is possibly as low as 2500.

This is food for thought for those that may see a starry future in real estate investments. Not to say that one should not join REIN but simply that REIN, or any investment course, is not going to get you where you are not capable of going. Information, or even support, is only a tool that you must be capable of personally putting into action.

One should be cautious in this business of taking advice from those that have been successful without first knowing your own personal abilities. Being successful in business requires far more than simply a desire and the knowledge of the mechanics involved. Only a select few are naturals at any activity and the rest succeed through luck in applying known principals and sheer blind determination.

I often wonder how many individuals, that have followed the path of a course or organization, have actually gone forward and either failed or possibly gone bankrupt in the process. These numbers are never known but the likelihood is, as with any business venture, there are more failures than successes.

Know thy self.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=invst4profit]Know thy self.
Well spoken !

[quote user=invst4profit]as with any business venture, there are more failures than successes.
Some failures are OK along the path to success or as I state it "fail your way to success" or "after 20 years of hard work I too, was an overnight success" .. as long as it doesn't bankrupt you immediately as some (REIN) folks experienced in 2007-2010 in the recession.

I started with a $80,000 condo with $20,000 in 1997. but the idea of "gee, I should do s.th. in real estate" started in the late 80's. Indeed in the late 80's I was either not mentally tough enough or married with 2 young kids or unable or unwilling to commit such $ or time as was, and still is, required for serious real estate investments.

It took me 5 years from the initial "gee, I should do s.th. in real estate" idea to just take a weekend course (with Raymond Aaron actually, in Toronto where I lived at the time - quite a useful course btw) to buying a small condo another 5 years later.

So, planting the seed is important, but the nurturing takes a while, and yes, many a seed dried up and died due to lack of water or sunshine ! But perhaps that same seed would have grown well in the desert. The desire, the ability and the market have to line up, and they do not always do that at the same time.

Top Bottom