Real Estate brokerage Licence required to offer Rent to own deals?

Joel

Registered
Hi,

Is a real estate brokerage licence required in order to be able to charge a fee from the investor when putting together a RTO deal? I was told that since it is like a brokerage involving the sale of a property its considered as Real Estate Brokerage.

Professionals, what do you know about this?

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
To the best of my knowledge, a license could be required if the "finder" of the deal is selling or assigning the deal to someone else for a fee. (So this applies if the finder does not retain any ownership interest).

If the "finder" has any ownership in the deal (either legal or beneficial through a JV), then no license is required. So one could construct an RTO deal and then find a money partner for a JV. One could then charge a "finder's fee" in addition to having a share of the deal itself.

Joel

Registered
Thanks Sherilynn. Is the same said for a fee charged to the tenant/buyer? Test

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
As you have a beneficial interest in the property there is no licensing requirement for selling, assigning or managing. Only if you sell properties that you do not have a beneficial interest in do you require a license, say selling my property or managing it.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
[quote user=Joel] Thanks Sherilynn. Is the same said for a fee charged to the tenant/buyer?

We don't charge fees to tenant buyers until they exercise their options. Then there is an "exercise of option fee." Since we have beneficial interest in the property and an option contract with the tenant buyer, this falls under contract law and not RECA.