Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ratio of Renters to Home Owners

Mecheng

Registered
Can anyone give their opinion on a good ratio to renters to home owners for a condo.
Too high a ratio you get no pride of ownership, too low you may get anti-renter situation.

I`m currently looking at a unit in a condo town home complex with 54 units and 13 are being rented, about 1/4.
Would you consider ¼, a good ratio? If not what do you consider good.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Mecheng @ Mar 24 2010, 07:12 AM) Can anyone give their opinion on a good ratio to renters to home owners for a condo.
Too high a ratio you get no pride of ownership, too low you may get anti-renter situation.

I`m currently looking at a unit in a condo town home complex with 54 units and 13 are being rented, about 1/4.
Would you consider ¼, a good ratio? If not what do you consider good.
Depends on price !

What is better: condo 1 with 80% renters at $125,000 or condo 2 with 0% renters for $250,000 .. assuming similar rent, area and quality ?

Mecheng

Registered
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Mar 24 2010, 07:40 PM) Depends on price !

What is better: condo 1 with 80% renters at $125,000 or condo 2 with 0% renters for $250,000 .. assuming similar rent, area and quality ?

You rise an interesting point. What criteria are you using the determine which is better: property management, exit strategy, ROI, ???

Assuming similar rent, area and quality but is that likely to be the case in comparing these properties?

Condo 1 likely, (but not always) too have lack of pride in ownership potentially resulting in lower quality and rents.
Condo 2 likely, (but not always) too have anti-renter sentiment potentially creating management issues.

If I had to guess I would say the better one is somewhere in between, which answers my own question.
Maybe I missed your point, your thoughts?

Top Bottom