Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rainwater / Flood Damage from Condo Neglect; Refusal to pay "displacement"

HNoob

New Forum Member
Registered
So, i own and live in an apartment unit that got flooded due to condo neglect; as a result i've had to suffer through 3 weeks of completely useless fans and dehumidifiers, fighting with retarded contractors ect...

My floors need to be completely redone... and when it came to actually fixing the problem... All they did was clean out the drains... and called it a day...!! Obviously work needs to be done to my walls...

But what can i do about that? Guess i have to suffer my unit getting flooded every other year... Condo management companies really don't seem to care. Every other year the condo has to fork out $100K-150K for water damage... vs fixing the walls.

But what really tips the boat, is that they won't pay for my quote, "displacement" costs. And their EXCUSE is that they are not paying for it from their insurance... instead it comes from my pocket through the CONDO! Completely condo management.
I have to fork out 2x moving expenses ( in & out ) + 1-2 months (depending on how lazy they are) of rent while they fix my floors.

You would think that they would pay for my moving expenses, wouldn't you?
Also... Why would the contents that were damaged in my unit ALSO have to go through MY home owners insurance? Not that i had anything of value really damaged.

Calgary, Alberta.
Anything that i can do to get them to pay for "displacement" ?

Being forced out of your home due to someone else's neglect is totally unfair.

Last edited:

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Sounds like you are the tenant. Do you have tenant's insurance? That would be the ticket in this instance.

If you are the owner, give your insurance company a call.

Top Bottom