Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Property Damage by Tenant`s Guest - Please Advise!!!

Spenny

Registered
Hi there

My Mother's basement apartment tenant had her son sleep over last night in Ontario. He was drunk and caused much damage knocking down doors and punching holes in walls. He has been put in jail for the time being. We have never handled this before.

What next steps should my mother take?

For example:

take pictures?

inform police of damage?

what to tell the tenant?

Also can it be put in the lease to not allow a certain person on the property in the future? How can that be enforced?

Is this valid means to evict the tenant?

Many thanks

kfort

Registered
Repair it and bill them. Since you can't take a damage deposit where you're at there's not a lot else you can do. If you can convince them to pay for repairs PRIOR that might be nice. Good luck. I suppose you could charge the idiot son with vandalism since the cops did throw him in the drunk tank for a night. Depending on damage that might be an option. If it's a few hundred it's not worth going to court over.

I'm sure there is something in the prov RTA about "excessive damages" or similar being a reason for eviction so perhaps brandishing that stick will result in a positive outcome for you?

Your other more cumbersome option is to invest where you have simpler recourse. so... SK, or AB...

REQRentals

Registered
If you want the money give them an N5 notice demanding payment of the amount of the damage within 7 days.

Get an estimate for the amount to claim as damage.

If does not pay apply to LTB on form L2 after the 7 days. And eviction if yo wish.

Top Bottom