Pets and Multi-Unit Residential

Brianrpaul98

REIN Member
Hi,

I was just wondering what the philosophy/strategies that MUR (Multi Residential) owners are using with regards to having pets in general, and particularly in regards to the 8-9,000 dollar make-over units?

My buildings are anywhere from 9 to 23 units per.

Thanks,

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Brianrpaul98 @ Sep 25 2008, 05:02 PM) Hi,

I was just wondering what the philosophy/strategies that MUR (Multi Residential) owners are using with regards to having pets in general, and particularly in regards to the 8-9,000 dollar make-over units?

My buildings are anywhere from 9 to 23 units per.

Thanks,
in general pets except dogs are no problem .. just ensure there is
a) a pet deposit and
b) a slightly higher rent for a pet and
c) enforce odour (such as cat "droppings") and
d) enforce noise complaints !

I`ve seen Iguana`s, snakes, budgies, .. why not ?

If you allow dogs you will get lower vacancies and even higher rents, but also more wear and tear ..

we do allow pets except dogs in all buildings .. and some allow dogs ..

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
I am in total agreement with Thomas, as it is a market that is grossly under-served by landlords and that means that there is potential for increased revenue.

It is our experience that most pet owners are very respectful of the properties they rent.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (DonCampbell @ Sep 29 2008, 02:22 PM) I am in total agreement with Thomas, as it is a market that is grossly under-served by landlords and that means that there is potential for increased revenue.

It is our experience that most pet owners are very respectful of the properties they rent.
right .. and as always there are exceptions where people or their pets treat the properties like their personal garbage dump .. so tenant and pet screening .. and ongoing monitoring is key !!