Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Paralegal or Lawyer in Barrie/Orillia area for LTB Hearing

Nir

REIN Member
Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a good paralegal or lawyer from Barrie/Orillia area to represent me in a
hearing I have in Barrie next month? Unfortunately, I`m dealing with a "professional" tenant from Orillia?

THANKS.

CarrieKoch

Registered
April at Landlord Legal is the best. She only works for landlords and she knows her stuff.

She`s located downtown Barrie which is fortunate for us....lord knows there are a lot of "professional" tenants from Orillia !

Nir

REIN Member
Thank you very much Greg and Carrie!
I actually heard about April from another PM that she is the best in the area as you mentioned.
What in general is a reasonable and most common paralegal service fee structure - by hour/case/day?
For example, is the following payment by case common:
say $1500, for ending a tenant`s lease/evicting him (whether it takes the paralegal 1 day or 3 days in court/LTB)?

Just wonder how we can limit our (landlords`) cost so we don`t end up paying a lawyer or paralegal say $6,000 where we could just pay the tenant half to get him out of the apartment(?)
(obviously paralegal fee varies and depends on experience, etc.. therefore just asking for an estimate and the suggested/common fee structure)
THANKS.

Berubeland

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ May 1 2010, 06:42 PM) Thank you very much Greg and Carrie!
I actually heard about April from another PM that she is the best in the area as you mentioned.
What in general is a reasonable and most common paralegal service fee structure - by hour/case/day?
For example, is the following payment by case common:
say $1500, for ending a tenant`s lease/evicting him (whether it takes the paralegal 1 day or 3 days in court/LTB)?

Just wonder how we can limit our (landlords`) cost so we don`t end up paying a lawyer or paralegal say $6,000 where we could just pay the tenant half to get him out of the apartment(?)
(obviously paralegal fee varies and depends on experience, etc.. therefore just asking for an estimate and the suggested/common fee structure)
THANKS.

Paralegals are generally quite reasonable. An average eviction is about $1000 with all fees in. This includes the 170 filing fee and sheriff if required (another 320 -380). It depends how good your tenant is at drawing the process out. If for instance your tenant appeals the order to divisional court you will pay out the Kazoo. It really depends on the individual case. Paralegals are surprisingly reasonably priced compared to lawyers however.

Paying out the tenant to move is hardly the solution you run the risk of giving them the money and they stay. Not only that there is a bit of a moral hazard there of rewarding horrible behaviour and setting this person loose on the universe expecting others to do the same.

In some cases there is no choice when the expectation is that a case would be prohibitively difficult to win. I once managed a triplex where the tenant had a very large incontinent dog in the basement apartment of a triplex. The smell was astoundingly bad. The dog would pee and it would penetrate the subfloor. Complaints to the tenant about her smell would result in a gallon of bleach being poured under the floor. That odour was possibly worse. I cannot tell you how horrible it was. In fact the two upper tenants vacated due to the odour. People coming to see the place would actually gag. Now the problem comes in when you go before the adjudicator and try to prove a smell. Furthermore they would be unlikely to grant an eviction based on smell due to the stinky nature of lots of tenants. Where do you stop? Plenty of people have stinky food etc.

We had to pay her to move and then we had to hire a moving truck to move her. Then we had to rip up the entire subfloor.

Still for a nonpayment of rent issue it is better just to kick them out using a paralegal.

Hope this helps

invst4profit

Registered
It is definitely not advisable to pay tenants to leave especially professional tenants regardless of the costs involved associated with the alternatives. When word gets around that you pay cash for bad tenants to leave you will become a common target of unscrupulous individuals that will move in, stop paying rent, then wait for you to buy them off.
This is a common practice in there sub culture. Pay first and last, live for free for 3 to 6 months then take cash to leave.

It is never advisable to bribe tenants to leave unless they are good tenants and you have a specific reason to free up there apartment.

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks! I never paid a tenant. just trying to understand the logic behind paying paralegals thousands of dollars to evict.
wrong, it is not $1000. at least not based on quotes I`m getting.

QUOTE (Berubeland @ May 2 2010, 06:33 AM) Paying out the tenant to move is hardly the solution you run the risk of giving them the money and they stay.

of course you don`t run that risk as you are only giving the money after they leave, your locks were changed and documents signed.

QUOTE (invst4profit @ May 3 2010, 10:20 AM) When word gets around that you pay cash for bad tenants to leave you will become a common target of unscrupulous individuals that will move in, stop paying rent, then wait for you to buy them off.
the opposite is true. landlords who pay such tenants improve their screening process significantly in order to minimize risk of accepting such tenants again. they actually have the advantage of having experience with such tenants before. and they never want to deal with them again.

invst4profit

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ May 3 2010, 04:16 PM) Thanks! I never paid a tenant. just trying to understand the logic behind paying paralegals thousands of dollars to evict.

the opposite is true. landlords who pay such tenants improve their screening process significantly in order to minimize risk of accepting such tenants again. they actually have the advantage of having experience with such tenants before. and they never want to deal with them again.

It isn`t the bribing of bad tenants that causes a LL to tighten up there screening it is having the tenant in the first place.
I personally do not offer cash to tenants because I am not interested in attracting others with the intent of testing my screening skills.
The message I send to tenants is I will hunt you down. take you to court, garnish your wages and damage your credit rating as much as possible. Of course I only actually do that if the payback warrants the effort or if I am feeling particularly vindictive. Revenge can be sweet especially when they come back years later to pay off a debt because they want to buy furniture at the Brick on credit.

Top Bottom