Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Owner occupied triplex/fourplex purchase in Toronto

nk2

Registered
Dear experts,

I have never been a homeowner before and as a first purchase I would like buy a property that would be my residence as well as an investment. I was thinking of buying a triplex or a four-plex in the Toronto area where I live. I would like it to be a long-term investment that will either help me buy bigger/more properties later or at the very least provide me with some retirement income (I am in my early 30’s now but I am sloooowly starting to think about retirement, plus I would like to invest my money in something other than stock market or a 1% GIC). From what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, it will cost me a lot less to buy a triplex/fourplex than to buy a condo and then buy another condo (or condos) as an investment property.

I am new to the real estate world and sorry if some of my questions sound too dumb, but I wanted to know:

- If making such purchase is doable with a regular residential mortgage.

- What is a typical down payment that needs to be made on triplexes or fourplexes (which would also be the owner’s primary residence)? Is it doable with 5% or 10% down?

- Aside from my down payment, my own credit history and present income, what else would banks look at? Would the lender also consider rental income (potential or proven) when qualifying me for the mortgage?

- Would I be eligible to take out 20K from my RRSPs and use them as part of the down payment? That money has set there for the last 10 years without making me a penny so if I could, I would like to put it to a better use?

I obviously I have a lot of research to do and educate myself on both purchasing process as well as property managing, so I have a long way to go (which will help me save more money along the way), but if there is any other advise that any of you are willing to give to someone who is brand new to all of this, I would greatly appreciate your insight.

All the best,

Nick

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (nk2 @ Apr 22 2010, 05:47 AM) ...
What is a typical down payment that needs to be made on triplexes or fourplexes (which would also be the owner’s primary residence)? Is it doable with 5% or 10% down?
While technically a residential mortgage with 5% down many banks would look at this as an investment and require 20% down .. so best to ask an experienced mortgage broker !

- Aside from my down payment, my own credit history and present income, what else would banks look at? Would the lender also consider rental income (potential or proven) when qualifying me for the mortgage?
yes, they would look at current rental income and add it to your employment income, plus you need a new appraisal and possible a home inspection/engineering report
Would I be eligible to take out 20K from my RRSPs and use them as part of the down payment? That money has set there for the last 10 years without making me a penny so if I could, I would like to put it to a better use?
yes, but you have to pay taxes as you withdraw it .. unless it is your residence which allows tax free withdrawal if repaid in 15 years ! [I am unclear if living in one unit in a 4-plex would qualify as a residence]

MonteDobson

Registered
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Apr 22 2010, 11:32 PM) "Would I be eligible to take out 20K from my RRSPs and use them as part of the down payment? That money has set there for the last 10 years without making me a penny so if I could, I would like to put it to a better use?"

yes, but you have to pay taxes as you withdraw it !
Thomas, he would not have to withdraw his RRSP`s and pay tax...he could use the Home Buyers Plan and utilize up to $25K from his RRSP. More info on CRA website at http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/rr...p/menu-eng.html

Nir

REIN Member
Yes! I believe you can still put 5% down to purchase a 4-plex if you intent to live in one of the units! GL, N.

mike81

Registered
QUOTE (MonteDobson @ Apr 22 2010, 10:55 PM) Thomas, he would not have to withdraw his RRSP`s and pay tax...he could use the Home Buyers Plan and utilize up to $25K from his RRSP. More info on CRA website at http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/rr...p/menu-eng.html

Somewhat related tax question - For the home buyers plan to work; you must live in the home you purchase as primary residence, and you won`t get taxed. That qualifies you as first time buyer. Also helps with the `land transfer tax` if first home. But say you`ve owned a home in the past, you no longer qualify for the first time buyers `land transfer tax` break, but could still qualify for the first time Home buyer plan (Rsp).

I guess thats more of an observation then question heh.

DianeLeahy

REIN Member
QUOTE (nk2 @ Apr 22 2010, 07:47 AM) Dear experts,

I have never been a homeowner before and as a first purchase I would like buy a property that would be my residence as well as an investment. I was thinking of buying a triplex or a four-plex in the Toronto area where I live. I would like it to be a long-term investment that will either help me buy bigger/more properties later or at the very least provide me with some retirement income (I am in my early 30`s now but I am sloooowly starting to think about retirement, plus I would like to invest my money in something other than stock market or a 1% GIC). From what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, it will cost me a lot less to buy a triplex/fourplex than to buy a condo and then buy another condo (or condos) as an investment property.

I am new to the real estate world and sorry if some of my questions sound too dumb, but I wanted to know:

- If making such purchase is doable with a regular residential mortgage.

- What is a typical down payment that needs to be made on triplexes or fourplexes (which would also be the owner`s primary residence)? Is it doable with 5% or 10% down?

- Would I be eligible to take out 20K from my RRSPs and use them as part of the down payment? That money has set there for the last 10 years without making me a penny so if I could, I would like to put it to a better use?

I obviously I have a lot of research to do and educate myself on both purchasing process as well as property managing, so I have a long way to go (which will help me save more money along the way), but if there is any other advise that any of you are willing to give to someone who is brand new to all of this, I would greatly appreciate your insight.

All the best,

Nick

Hi Nick, I tried to email you via the message centre however it is not activated. I have done and still doing what you are trying to do. email me [email protected]

Diane Leahy

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (MonteDobson @ Apr 22 2010, 10:55 PM) Thomas, he would not have to withdraw his RRSP`s and pay tax...he could use the Home Buyers Plan and utilize up to $25K from his RRSP. More info on CRA website at http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/rr...p/menu-eng.html
correct .. in fact we did that ourselves when we bought our first home in 1993 in Scarborough, ON !

I was unaware that a 4-plex qualified .. but now I learned s.th. !!

Top Bottom