Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Our website has just gone live as well

seanverret

Registered
Our website is:

http://www.ipinvestments.ca

It`s still a work in progress, but we come up with some real slick techniques to add a lot of our "research" to the pages with minimal effort, similarly we can add new potential deals we see and in future have our rentals advertised.

Anyways, let me know what you think.

Thanks

terri

Registered
QUOTE (seanverret @ Nov 5 2008, 04:01 PM) Our website is:

http://www.ipinvestments.ca

It`s still a work in progress, but we come up with some real slick techniques to add a lot of our "research" to the pages with minimal effort, similarly we can add new potential deals we see and in future have our rentals advertised.

Anyways, let me know what you think.

Thanks

hey Sean,

really like the way you`ve done the tabs.

your site is easy to navigate and there`s tons of info and it`s very clearly written.

only question would be about securites, of course it is my big question of the day.

T.

qdsouza

REIN Member
Hi Sean,

Sending you some feedback via messaging. Hope it helps.

Take Care,

Quentin

ChrisDavies

Registered
I like the top-nav too. Only issue might be with a very large logo like that is you push a lot of the rest of the content `below the fold`. That`s a lot of important real estate you`re giving up. I can tell you have Google Webmaster Tools setup, and I`d strongly encourage everyone with a website to get Google Analytics setup.

One suggestion, get rid of the ads. Your website exists for one purpose, and the ads interfere with it. I can also tell you that you`re never going to make enough off those ads to make up for the people you lose from your site and business.

One other suggestion is to keep using keywords. This includes the URLs you have. Your Fundamentals page could be /real-estate-fundamentals.html which will help you out. Besides that, you`ve got lots of decent content on it. Keep building out pages with fresh unique content!

seanverret

Registered
Hi Chris,

Quentin had some very similar feedback... thank you. I`m going to post a similar response to the email I sent him in response to your message and request everyone`s thoughts...

QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Nov 5 2008, 09:26 PM) I like the top-nav too. Only issue might be with a very large logo like that is you push a lot of the rest of the content `below the fold`. That`s a lot of important real estate you`re giving up. I can tell you have Google Webmaster Tools setup, and I`d strongly encourage everyone with a website to get Google Analytics setup.
What size do most people have their computer monitor set to? I find that while the logo is large, I can see a majority of the content below it. My screen resolution is set to 1440x900 pixels and my browser is typically maximized. Is there a specific screen resolution that I should design to? or that most developers design to?

QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Nov 5 2008, 09:26 PM) One suggestion, get rid of the ads. Your website exists for one purpose, and the ads interfere with it. I can also tell you that you`re never going to make enough off those ads to make up for the people you lose from your site and business.
Regarding Ads, I debated whether or not to put ads on the site. In all honesty, they generate 0 revenue, but rather I initially put them on there just to see if I could figure out how to do it... I am SO used to seeing ads on websites now, that part of me thinks that when there are ads on a website, the viewer actually focuses more on the content because they recognize the ads - I have no scientific data to back this up of course, but I know that`s how I work... I also feel that the ads add a small touch of "professional" feel as a large majority of website have ads out there... Thoughts? I may have overdone it with the ads, as they`re on the side and the bottom of every page, but I didn`t feel that they cluttered up the website too much...

Do you think that ads will actually deter an investor? Do you have any data to back up something like that? Not to be critical, but I love statistics and I`d really like to know how ads affect a user online?

Does the average person online actually know that if they click on an ad that the website they`re on is getting paid for it? I have a feeling that most don`t know that or care for that matter, but again, that`s purely my opinion and based on no facts whatsoever...

QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Nov 5 2008, 09:26 PM) One other suggestion is to keep using keywords. This includes the URLs you have. Your Fundamentals page could be /real-estate-fundamentals.html which will help you out. Besides that, you`ve got lots of decent content on it. Keep building out pages with fresh unique content!
My site is php driven and thus the url`s are typically index.php?page="type of page". I do understand what you`re saying, but that would require a complete reorganization of my templates...

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, it`s appreciated. I like to hear more debate regarding ads if there are other web-savvy people out there...

qdsouza

REIN Member
Chris - your responses scare me they were so similar.
style_emoticons

I`ll repost a shortened version to keep readers in the loop. Attached is the PDF that I sent Sean first, published out to Google Docs because I can`t attach files to posts in this area.

---------------
Hi Sean,

A web design term that we use is called "above the fold". Whatever content your browser can see before you start scrolling down is what defines the breakdown of the percentages of the page, not the breakdown of the length of the entire web page.

If you want to mimic different screen resolutions I recommend using the Firefox add-on called "Web Developer Toolbar" lets of great web dev features.

As for the ads don`t include them if you don`t have to. Those web sites that make money from the ads do so in order to provide content to the viewer, so one would expect it. CNN, CTV, Papers, Portal Sites, etc.

Take a look at well developed/established sites that accomplish the same goals that you would like to achieve to help you in your development and to model after.

Take Care,

Quentin

-----------------

qdsouza

REIN Member
QUOTE (seanverret @ Nov 5 2008, 11:47 PM) Do you think that ads will actually deter an investor? Do you have any data to back up something like that? Not to be critical, but I love statistics and I`d really like to know how ads affect a user online?

Read - Designing Web Usability - Jakob Nielsen (although this is dated as well but you will get the idea)

There are a number of studies on usability that would provide the information that you need.

Take Care,

Quentin

seanverret

Registered
Thanks for the advice everyone, after doing a bunch of reading on the topic last night and this morning, the ads will come down. It was fun to see if I could get them to work, but since my site is more for providing information rather than selling anything, I have to agree with you guys.

Thanks for alerting me to it.

seanverret

Registered
QUOTE (qdsouza @ Nov 5 2008, 10:38 PM) A web design term that we use is called "above the fold". Whatever content your browser can see before you start scrolling down is what defines the breakdown of the percentages of the page, not the breakdown of the length of the entire web page.

If you want to mimic different screen resolutions I recommend using the Firefox add-on called "Web Developer Toolbar" lets of great web dev features.

What is the average screen resolution that most people use? Quentin, when you`re designing a web site, what screen resolution do you design for?

qdsouza

REIN Member
QUOTE (seanverret @ Nov 6 2008, 10:12 AM) What is the average screen resolution that most people use? Quentin, when you`re designing a web site, what screen resolution do you design for?

For the most part, I use a percentage based model that varies depending on the user`s screen resolution. The site then customizes itself based on these percentages. I also usually offer alternate css files that will dynamically resize the text on a site, depending on what the user wants.

Many people go with a 800x600 pixel width, but design on a 1280x800 screen. Experiment with different resolutions and different web browsers when you are developing.

You could also take out the Adsense search and go with a custom search that pulls content for your web site from Google. As Chris suggests - you definitely want to collect data using Google Analytics.

Take Care and Good luck,

Quentin

seanverret

Registered
Alright the ads are gone, and some other minor additions have been inserted here and there... I guess the next thing to tackle is the banner on top....

margaretcowan

REIN Member
Hi

Congratulations on getting your site up and running! A big achievement with lots of work behind it.

I`m a non techie with a tour web site for a long time.

As an investor, I`d like to know more about your track record...how long have you been investing in real estate, what kind of real estate, how many properties do you have now or have you owned? All about credibility.

I suggest taking off the line on the home page about "this is a work in progress". Every web site is a work in progress and for me, it doesn`t make you come across in a strong, confident way.

Hope this helps!

Ciao
Margaret

seanverret

Registered
Thanks for your comments Margaret. We have updated our website per your comments.

QUOTE (margaretcowan @ Nov 9 2008, 01:34 AM) As an investor, I`d like to know more about your track record...how long have you been investing in real estate, what kind of real estate, how many properties do you have now or have you owned? All about credibility.

I suggest taking off the line on the home page about "this is a work in progress". Every web site is a work in progress and for me, it doesn`t make you come across in a strong, confident way.

Margaret

TommyK

Registered
hi Sean,

The website is clean and easy to navigate. My only concern is under your "Fundamentals" tab, you use the graphic presented at QuickStart.

I would say that the graphic is an intellectual property of REIN (the company). Shouldn`t you accredit it?

It`s not a big deal. Just a thought that came to my mind.

Congratz on your site!
Tommy

DanBarton

Registered
QUOTE (terri @ Nov 5 2008, 03:08 PM)
hey Sean,

really like the way you've done the tabs.

your site is easy to navigate and there's tons of info and it's very clearly written.

only question would be about securites, of course it is my big question of the day.

T.

Hey Terri,

If you are interested on working with us on a solution to the current securities, check out this post and let us know if your interested.

(http://myreinspace.com/rein_members_only/Members-Only_Discussion/81-8368-Joint_Ventre_Agreement_Restructure.html)

Might help,

Dan

Top Bottom