Not a member of Real estate board ? - Due diligence

ronwin

Registered
Aug 14, 2009
Calgary, AB
Visit site
In doing due diligence on a potential realtor to add to my team i found out that they are not part of the real estate board in the community they are active in. My questions is would there be any reason (good reason) that they would not participate in the real estate board? Is there anything in particular that I should now add to my due diligence in terms of questions to ask to ensure that this is someone I want on my team.

Any feedback welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Les

bizaro86

Registered
Jan 29, 2008
Calgary, AB
Interesting. I used a realtor to sell a house in Edmonton, who was registered with the real estate board in St Albert. However, she mainly worked in St Albert, and did work in Edmonton on request. She did a great job, and it worked out extremely well, so it may not necessarily be a bad thing.

However, I would definitely want to know why they had chosen to do that.

Michael

Aug 31, 2007
North Vancouver
Are you buying or selling

A non-board member does not have access to the local MLS system. Most ICI Realtors do not belong to the local RE boards, and they do very well for themselves.

Not being a board member does not mean he/she will not do an adequate job for you. However, as a former Realtor, I would want to know the true reason for their not being a member. I would probably not hire someone who does not belong to the board, or has access to it by virtue of being a member of CREA in another board. And, I probably would not hire an outside member either, simply because they do not know the local market well enough to give me the advice I need to have.

The example above is an exception because Edmonton and St Albert are almost contiguous. I would think that most St. Albert Realtors will know the Edm market. Someone I know listed a house with a Realtor who lived 60 miles away. That is an example of not being able to service the listing properly... or to give you good advice if you are buying.

Luong98

Registered
Jul 9, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
QUOTE (ronwin @ Feb 8 2010, 07:26 PM) In doing due diligence on a potential realtor to add to my team i found out that they are not part of the real estate board in the community they are active in. My questions is would there be any reason (good reason) that they would not participate in the real estate board? Is there anything in particular that I should now add to my due diligence in terms of questions to ask to ensure that this is someone I want on my team.

Any feedback welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Les

Being part of the board is primary a business decision. Most commercial real estate agents do not need the MLS so therefore they`re not part of the board or if he`s in a rural area w/ no board that covers his area. If your realtor is primary in residential in a large city I can`t image not being part of the board.