Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

No need to throw out the bath water with the baby!

springforward

Registered
My experience in being a JV partner has been a terrible one and currently it looks like the property is sliding into foreclosure and I am not sure if it is worth throwing more good money into what looks like a terrible situation. Perhaps another time I can post what I have learnt from my experience for the benefit of others.

My question is . . . what numbers (info) do I need to assess where the property is at financially that I am invested in? Should I be projecting where it will be at in 3-4 years when the JV agreement is up? What would a realistic/conservative growth rate be for a house in the Calgary market?
Bonus Question: Have you had successful end result in utilizing a lawyer to cover losses in real estate? (to date I have spent $1500+ on lawyer fees)

To date the financial manager has redirected (stolen) $32,000 out of the projects reserve fund, etc and increased the debt by increasing the VTB mortgage. The upstairs tennant moved out and the mortgage payments have not been paid for two months with a cash call likely to come shortly.

My experience thus far in being a JV partner proves further of the need to team up with responsible people who employ REIN like systems and beliefs.

Have a great weekend!

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (springforward @ Aug 27 2010, 01:58 PM) My experience in being a JV partner has been a terrible one and currently it looks like the property is sliding into foreclosure and I am not sure if it is worth throwing more good money into what looks like a terrible situation. Perhaps another time I can post what I have learnt from my experience for the benefit of others.

My question is . . . what numbers (info) do I need to assess where the property is at financially that I am invested in? Should I be projecting where it will be at in 3-4 years when the JV agreement is up? What would a realistic/conservative growth rate be for a house in the Calgary market?
Bonus Question: Have you had successful end result in utilizing a lawyer to cover losses in real estate? (to date I have spent $1500+ on lawyer fees)

To date the financial manager has redirected (stolen) $32,000 out of the projects reserve fund, etc and increased the debt by increasing the VTB mortgage. The upstairs tennant moved out and the mortgage payments have not been paid for two months with a cash call likely to come shortly.

My experience thus far in being a JV partner proves further of the need to team up with responsible people who employ REIN like systems and beliefs.

Have a great weekend!

Tough situation. I went through a lawyer to fight against a developer. It looks like we won, but it was a phyrric victory. The lawyers with their high fees were the winners, we went through a lot of agony and upfront money, i.e. cash flow. My conclusion avoid the legal system as much as you can. For small deals going to court is often not worth it. Even if you win you are not guaranteed that the judgement will be executed.

I once won a small claims court case for $1000. I uncurred $300 lawyers fees to find out that the accused was bankrupt. I got paid back the $1000 out of the blue, ten (10) years later but was not legally allowed to even charge interest let be the $300. Some victory!

My priority would be to get control of the property, i.e. getting the bad JV partner out of property or sell it outright. A lot depends on how the property is as an investment. I would start by evaluting the property using REIN`s criteria and study the real estate values around your property. Ask a Realtor to do a CMA for you to get an impression (they are for free).

Disputes are difficult to judge, everyone seems to be different yet the same.

Hope this helps a bit.

springforward

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Aug 27 2010, 05:27 PM) Tough situation. I went through a lawyer to fight against a developer. It looks like we won, but it was a phyrric victory. The lawyers with their high fees were the winners, we went through a lot of agony and upfront money, i.e. cash flow. My conclusion avoid the legal system as much as you can. For small deals going to court is often not worth it. Even if you win you are not guaranteed that the judgement will be executed.

I once won a small claims court case for $1000. I uncurred $300 lawyers fees to find out that the accused was bankrupt. I got paid back the $1000 out of the blue, ten (10) years later but was not legally allowed to even charge interest let be the $300. Some victory!

My priority would be to get control of the property, i.e. getting the bad JV partner out of property or sell it outright. A lot depends on how the property is as an investment. I would start by evaluting the property using REIN`s criteria and study the real estate values around your property. Ask a Realtor to do a CMA for you to get an impression (they are for free).

Disputes are difficult to judge, everyone seems to be different yet the same.

Hope this helps a bit.

Godfried,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and good advice.

On advice from a lawyer I recently put a caveat on the title for my 25% ownership. Can someone tell me how that might help me if the property goes deliquent? What is the process that happens if it goes bankrupt? Will I lose the total investment? Will the bank come after me? The VTB mortgage was never registered against the property; does my cavaet prevent that from going on in the event they try to add it to the title?

housingrental

Registered
Is this a clear cut case of fraud re the $32K in funds? Or just poor quality operator? Have you talked with with police / rcmp?

springforward

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Aug 29 2010, 10:53 AM) Is this a clear cut case of fraud re the $32K in funds? Or just poor quality operator? Have you talked with with police / rcmp?

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the response. I see this as a case of fraud as well as a lack of competence and willingness to follow REIN principles. Even after he (Mr. X) was confronted with what he has been doing he continues to not change his ways. The best I can tell there aren`t many of us who are aware of what is going on out of all the investors. Mr. X recently admitted on a telephone call that he has taken and redirected elsewhere about $100,000 from different properties (perhaps it is more) and of that number $31,000 from our property as it was one of the better cashflowing/healthy properties. It has been frustrating that our property was in a joint account with others and no real accountability or separation. Funds from one property were used to fuel others or perhaps even self interests.

Mr. X recently abandoned his office and I believe is working from home. I have been told by a former employee that there is creditors pursuing the company, hence the reason Mr. X was trying to transfer our property into a new company by having us JV`s sign off on a transfer agreement which raised some suspicion as the financial numbers on that document didn`t add up (neither of us JV`s have signed off). The former employee indicated to move the project from a company in one province to the next province the numbers had to show a loss. We tried to fire Mr. X as financial manager but he doesn`t want to go unless we find a financial manager that he is comfortable with . . . and it goes on and on and on! He has violated the agreement on several occasions and we would like him off the project but he stays and expects us to abide by this trampled JV agreement.

I contacted both the city police and RCMP in his area and they don`t want to file a report as they feel its too small at this point and would rather I go through a lawyer. I got an email the other day that a few other investors may be willing to contact the police together.

This situation keeps me up at night and is a distraction from my studies. It is amazing how much time can be wasted trying to strategize, talk with the other investor (we don`t often agree), research the company, have telephone conversations with the property manager, 2nd mortgage holder, etc. It feels like a part time job. When I got a lawyer to review the JV agreement and assist in putting a Cavaet on title that process took about 3 weeks to find a lawyer till the time they were actually being brought up to speed and in the end I spent about $2000 and the lawyer (whom I respect) told me he couldn`t do anything more as I would need a lawyer from the province the contract was written not the one where the investment company was from. I have been actively working on this since April.

Looking back . . .
Having a lawyer review the agreement/contract upfront would have been so much better. Perhaps I would have seen how one-sided the agreement was.

Also to do it over again I would thoroughly research the company and individuals involved. Looking back I didn`t pay attention to some red flags that I saw, however I was lied to upfront and along the way and it took a while before the truth started coming out.

Anything that the company said would happen should have been put in writing. I was told that a caveat would be filed on the title at their expense in the beginning but they put it off and put it off until I forgot about it.

A sign along the way that should have been more telling to me was the lack of understandable and professional financial reporting. I felt a bit frustrated (was it me?) that I couldn`t make sense of it and when I asked questions by phone they `tried` to answer but the answers didn`t make sense.

So Sept 1st is coming and it will be the third month where the mortgage will not be paid. I am guessing a cash call will be made and if the funds are given to Mr. X there is no guarantee he will actually apply them to the mortgage. Perhaps we could pay them directly to the financial institution and perhaps I will need a lawyer to advise. After the cash call is given I have 30 days or I lose voting rights and after 60 days I lose my 25% interest in the project. It will be interesting to see how it plays out as Mr. X seems to be running out of money as well and the cash call applies to him as well. Will he use the $900 that is sitting in the account with the property manager as his contribution? He failed to disclose to us those funds are there . . . is it incompetence or deceit? At first I wanted a return ON my investment, then this summer I wanted the return OF my investment and now it looks like I paid for tuition at a second school of higher learning.

The most ironic thing is the slogan of the company . . . Relax. We Take Care of Everything!

housingrental

Registered
Wow
I`m so sorry to read....Get in contact with a lawyer that can help ASAP.
I`d also get a few investors together and contact the RCMP together... If they aren`t helpful I`d try to write letters with the other investors to the RCMP and politicians... City councilors, mp`s, mpp`s all might be able to help, or at least point you in the right direction.
Keep us updated...

springforward

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Aug 30 2010, 08:11 AM) Wow
I`m so sorry to read....Get in contact with a lawyer that can help ASAP.
I`d also get a few investors together and contact the RCMP together... If they aren`t helpful I`d try to write letters with the other investors to the RCMP and politicians... City councilors, mp`s, mpp`s all might be able to help, or at least point you in the right direction.
Keep us updated...

Thanks Adam! I really value the feedback. Will keep you updated.

Cheers,

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (springforward @ Aug 27 2010, 12:58 PM)
My experience in being a JV partner has been a terrible one and currently it looks like the property is sliding into foreclosure and I am not sure if it is worth throwing more good money into what looks like a terrible situation. Perhaps another time I can post what I have learnt from my experience for the benefit of others.

2-4%/year on average in Calgary

Try Neil Fenna at RMLO 780-431-1444 as he specializes in litigation and has retrieved a large amount of money in one case and we are working on a 2nd ... but this is indeed frustrating as YOU have to prove first how much money was actually stolen .. perhaps through a forensic audit .. and that costs some $s and time and energy that is indeed often best invested elsewhere.

Best is also to file a caveat on title so it cannot be sold without your consent (assuming you are not on title and just the money partner) !

The owner can sign a transfer of land to you in Alberta .. if he is willing .. and you now own the property and run it with a new manager ! A la carte in Edmonton does single family homes as do a few others. Ask around here on this forum as I do not know where your property is.

But yes, next time, be more careful .. but keep in mind we went through some pretty nasty 1 1/2 years from mid 2008 to end of 2009 !!

Related thoughts (on a larger scale): 8 mistakes to avoid in real estate syndications: http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/Real_Estate_Discussion/62-13817-Real_Estate_Syndications_-_A_Good_Idea_.html

JoeRagona

Registered
Spring,

This sucks. There is no other diplomatic way for me to put this. My comment is geared towards what you have learned from this - which is a lot from your very calmly written explanation of the situation.

This should not only inspire you to seek professional advice as Thomas and Adam have advised, but to look behind the curtain on your next JV. We all make mistakes in our first deals as investors and it looks like for you it was lack of diligence on your end for this.

I commend you for putting your issue on the forum for others to learn from. This is very hard for people to admit they made a lack in judgement while still wanting to move forward. You are absolutely correct in seeking all the information possible from the next real estate expert and have it looked at by your professional team.

I`m sure you know all of this, but I wanted others to see it from an investors` point of view. I`m sure the company in which you refer will not be around very long if they practice this sort of interaction.

This is also the reason why I insist on any JV getting their own legal advice on any information and documentation agreements we have to sign. I wish you all the success with getting your earned money back.

springforward

Registered
QUOTE (JoeRagona @ Aug 31 2010, 10:30 PM) Spring,

This sucks. There is no other diplomatic way for me to put this. My comment is geared towards what you have learned from this - which is a lot from your very calmly written explanation of the situation.

This should not only inspire you to seek professional advice as Thomas and Adam have advised, but to look behind the curtain on your next JV. We all make mistakes in our first deals as investors and it looks like for you it was lack of diligence on your end for this.

I commend you for putting your issue on the forum for others to learn from. This is very hard for people to admit they made a lack in judgement while still wanting to move forward. You are absolutely correct in seeking all the information possible from the next real estate expert and have it looked at by your professional team.

I`m sure you know all of this, but I wanted others to see it from an investors` point of view. I`m sure the company in which you refer will not be around very long if they practice this sort of interaction.

This is also the reason why I insist on any JV getting their own legal advice on any information and documentation agreements we have to sign. I wish you all the success with getting your earned money back.

Hello,

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my post. The information was helpful and also it is encouraging that others would take time
to respond.

I wanted to update you folks on what has happened since I first posted and also throw out a question or two.

In September the other investor and myself did up a letter letting Mr. X know that he is fired as the "Financial Manager" of the property and that we wanted him off the project. We were emailing the investor who holds the title to the property to let him know of the consequences to his credit rating (a close friend of Mr. X) and it appears that Mr. X was replying to our emails. I think when he realized that the collections dept of the bank was dealing with the property and that I was "Cc-ing" the emails to the RCMP Mr. X sent us an email confirming that he wished to cooperate with us and turn the property over to us.

Around the same time (Oct 15th) we were able to buy some more time with the bank by paying one months rent to them. The house is 4 months behind and I think that if it is not brought up to date by Oct 31st it will go through foreclosure proceedings. It was interesting to me that the bank did not have accurate contact information for the mortgage holder and had been sending documents to the rental house. When I suggested to the person at the collections department we could get contact information to them of the mortgage holder they told me they couldnt accept it unless the info came from the person they couldn`t contact. (????)

So we have gotten documents together for Mr. X to sign and he has sent us a binder of information on the property. There is some more documents to come and we need to get the mortgage holder to sign them, but I have met with him and he seems willing to cooperate, as long as he doesn`t need to contribute anything financially moving forward.

We should find out this week if Mr. X will actually remove him self from the project and give it over to us. The house will need some money to bring it out of collections and will also need a bit of a reserve fund.

Questions:

1) The Vendor Take Back Mortgage Holder has not been willing to cooperate with us to come up with a workable solution and hasn`t returned calls. We entertained putting him on the new contract as an investor as the current Agreement has the property paying him a monthly interest fee which we don`t feel we can sustain. There was an initially VTB mortgage amount agreed on originally when the house was bought and then a new agreement was made up which increased the VTB by another $8500 and also included high interest payments. It seems the mortgage holder never signed these new documents and the investment company never registered the VTB on title as a caveat. The paper work over all we have received is very lax and poorly done.
Basically if we can`t get the VTB mortgage holder to work with us do we leave ourselves open to him coming after us later? There really is a very fine margin on this property and all of us will need to wait atleast 10 years before we will regain what was taken.

2) Can you recommend a great Property Management Company in Calgary that would take on a single family home in Forest Lawn?

Thanks again. I will keep you posted!

GarthChapman

Registered
If the 2nd mortgage holder won`t work to create a solution with you, you might consider trying to take him out of the equation. He is not in a strong position, so might be wise to take a haircut rather than a total loss. You might be in a position to offer to buy out the 1st mortgage from the bank and then foreclose on the 2nd mtge holder. Not easy but do-able.

Talk to Neil Fenna at RMLO in Edmonton. I, like Thomas Beyer, have had excellent performance and success with Neil`s efforts on our behalf in foreclosure and related proceedings - he has recovered all our dough to date...

markl

Registered
Garth`s advice is right on I know an investor in a similar situation in Ontario did in fact buy out the first and foreclosed on the property and was able to retain some of his investment and control the property

If Garth and Thomas are recommending a lawyer that would be my first call tomorrow morning.

springforward

Registered
QUOTE (markl @ Oct 25 2010, 07:52 PM) Garth`s advice is right on I know an investor in a similar situation in Ontario did in fact buy out the first and foreclosed on the property and was able to retain some of his investment and control the property

If Garth and Thomas are recommending a lawyer that would be my first call tomorrow morning.

Yes, when I first realized there was problems I did go through the lawyer that Thomas recommended and he (Neil) worked on the situation for a bit, but as the contract was a BC one he felt I would need a BC lawyer to proceed further. I did find him helpful though. I talked with a real estate lawyer here in BC and he suggested it would likely cost thousands of dollars for him to deal with this situation (maybe $10,000) and would be uncertain about the result. He suggested taking the situation through small claims court, for the max of $25,000. It is likely the owner of the investment company will declare bankruptcy within the next six months as more houses are going into delinquency and there is little money left for them to work with.

The one investor, lets call him Jim has a 10% share as he is on the title for the property. He is a friend of the owner of the defunct investment company and myself and the third investor are not in a position to take over the mortgage at this time. Currently I am a student and will be for another 2 years. "Jim" is also not in much of a position to do anything and I suggested him to just ride it out until the mortgage comes up for renewal. Likely he would end up being the one the VTB mortgage holder would go after as Jim is on title.

I believe the VTB mortgage holder (2nd mortgage) may be hoping we let the project go so he can show the bank he had interest in it and pick it up for a reasonable price; hence his unwillingness to cooperate. He does know how to put deals together, etc

I agree that a lawyer would be helpful but am not sure there is time to bring one on and bring them up to speed (so they are helpful) before the end of the month. Also it is very possible that the investment company (Mr. X) will just want to drag this on further and incur more costs. While he actually sign the documents before the deadline? Will he change the documents or demand a fee before he actually gives them over? (this was the case for another investor I talked to).

Since August there have been more investors coming out of the woodwork who have dealt with this company and some of them are in a similar situation and others of them were told that their funds were put into projects and now are finding out the money was just spent and never "attached to a property". Are we in a better situation then they are? Dealing with this has been emotionally, physically draining and has some legal costs incurred along the way, but atleast for now we have the potential to hang on to a property. Whether it will be able to recover from the losses (theft) is suffered remains to be seen.

Thanks for your interest and insight!

Sincerely,

B

bizaro86

Registered
I would carefully consider how much money you want to put into this.

If your best case scenario is that you end up with 20,000 of equity in a property, after putting 20,000 into legal fees, mortgage arrears, etc, then you should probably walk away, as you could spend the legal fees and end up with nothing.

Probably the worst thing possible is to string it along, on the basis that "it`s only another $1000" for another payment to the bank or lawyer.

I hate to say this, but sometimes its time to cut your losses. I would look very carefully at the value of this property, because you might be better off buying a property yourself with that money, since you`d at least get your equity in dollar-for-dollar.

Was the promoter (Mr X) a REIN member?

Michael

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Oct 26 2010, 08:01 AM) I would carefully consider how much money you want to put into this.

If your best case scenario is that you end up with 20,000 of equity in a property, after putting 20,000 into legal fees, mortgage arrears, etc, then you should probably walk away, as you could spend the legal fees and end up with nothing.

Probably the worst thing possible is to string it along, on the basis that "it`s only another $1000" for another payment to the bank or lawyer.

I hate to say this, but sometimes its time to cut your losses. I would look very carefully at the value of this property, because you might be better off buying a property yourself with that money, since you`d at least get your equity in dollar-for-dollar.

Michael

Michael has a point.

I have not been able to grasp all the details posted here. But I think it is time for some simple math and a review of your personal liabilities in all this.

It sounds like you bought a Calgary property. Say it was a single family property with 20%. So starting at a guestimated purchase price of $350K that means the investors had 75K down and you put up 25% thereof.

So that would mean your investment was around $19,000. I assume you bought in 2006 or 2007. Your propery value probably decreased by 10%. If it was a condo it could have decreased by about 30%. Assuming a property value decrease of 10% your property lost $35K and thus the investor`s equity went down to $40,000 and your share to $10,000

If the bank forecloses you will likely have even less money left. A lawyer estimates your legal costs to gain control is $10,000 at least and he is uncertain of the results. My comment is, double that amount and still be uncertain about the results. So if you would go that route, the remaining equity in your property is $20,000 and your share is down to $5000

You have a caveat registered on title - which is a good hook!

My suggestion, let the bank do your dirty work and foreclose. Let them deal with the VTB holder or let the holder take what is left after the bank is through. You just sit it out and any equity remaining is yours probably $0.

In the mean time you have a capital loss of close to $19,000 which you can use against future capital gains on other investments that maybe carried forward for many years while your personal income and tax rate are likely to go up. So, you have a good chance to recover through taxes 50% of $19,000 x 0.38 (Alberta`s top tax margin) somewhere in the future or around $3700.

This approach will reduce your real after tax loss to somewhere between $13,000 and $15,000. I suggest that you, (considering how young you are with many future investment opportunities) should be able to live with these results.

The other thing you must consider is your liability stemming from the mortgage and towards your tenants. Based on your story, I suspect you are not even registered on the mortgage and you are not liable for any of the JVs losses other than the original $19K. If so, I would just run! Otherwise have another talk with your lawyer to cover your liability aspects and see how you can keep that to a minimum.

See the whole experience not as a loss, but as a harsh learning opportunity that will save you a lot of grieve in future investments. Something that will prove worth a lot more than your current financial loss. Assets have value but a good education is priceless!

springforward

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Oct 26 2010, 07:01 AM) I would carefully consider how much money you want to put into this.

Michael

Michael,

Thank you for the response. I will look more into this after school today and perhaps throw out the numbers of the project as I think people here would be able to discern quickly whether it is better to cut losses now.

Yes the promoter (Mr. X) WAS a REIN member. This demonstrates clearly the need to do your homework diligently even when it is with REIN members. It`s possible/likely that there is still wolves among the herd. In my opinion that doesn`t detract from what can be gotten out of REIN it just means to me that opportunists are attracted also.

springforward

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Oct 26 2010, 09:36 AM) Michael has a point.

I have not been able to grasp all the details posted here. But I think it is time for some simple math and a review of your personal liabilities in all this.

It sounds like you bought a Calgary property. Say it was a single family property with 20%. So starting at a guestimated purchase price of $350K that means the investors had 75K down and you put up 25% thereof.

So that would mean your investment was around $19,000. I assume you bought in 2006 or 2007. Your propery value probably decreased by 10%. If it was a condo it could have decreased by about 30%. Assuming a property value decrease of 10% your property lost $35K and thus the investor`s equity went down to $40,000 and your share to $10,000

If the bank forecloses you will likely have even less money left. A lawyer estimates your legal costs to gain control is $10,000 at least and he is uncertain of the results. My comment is, double that amount and still be uncertain about the results. So if you would go that route, the remaining equity in your property is $20,000 and your share is down to $5000

You have a caveat registered on title - which is a good hook!

My suggestion, let the bank do your dirty work and foreclose. Let them deal with the VTB holder or let the holder take what is left after the bank is through. You just sit it out and any equity remaining is yours probably $0.

In the mean time you have a capital loss of close to $19,000 which you can use against future capital gains on other investments that maybe carried forward for many years while your personal income and tax rate are likely to go up. So, you have a good chance to recover through taxes 50% of $19,000 x 0.38 (Alberta`s top tax margin) somewhere in the future or around $3700.

This approach will reduce your real after tax loss to somewhere between $13,000 and $15,000. I suggest that you, (considering how young you are with many future investment opportunities) should be able to live with these results.

The other thing you must consider is your liability stemming from the mortgage and towards your tenants. Based on your story, I suspect you are not even registered on the mortgage and you are not liable for any of the JVs losses other than the original $19K. If so, I would just run! Otherwise have another talk with your lawyer to cover your liability aspects and see how you can keep that to a minimum.

See the whole experience not as a loss, but as a harsh learning opportunity that will save you a lot of grieve in future investments. Something that will prove worth a lot more than your current financial loss. Assets have value but a good education is priceless!

So let`s see if I can be clear in showing the financial situation.

Purchase price of the house (Feb 13, 2009) $300,000

First Mortgage @ 4.5% for 5 Years $247,000

VTB 2nd mortgage $ 30,000

Closing costs ??? Up to $ 17,850

The monthly rent for this house in Calgary was $1975.00

Approx. monthly mortgage $1250 + taxes, property tax, etc

Then in April and July of 2009 the company brought on myself and another investor and we contributed $27,000 each for a 25% share in it. The company retained "financial management of the property and held a 40% share and gave a 10% share to the fellow who registered the title in his name. The only monies put into the project was the $54,000 by the two investors. We were told that only approx $22,000 of the $54,000 was actually put towards the mortgage and the remainder into reserves [joint account with other properties] To date there is no reserve funds or cashflow available in the account and no real record of where it went provided by the company.

In March or April of this year without telling us the company re-negotiated with the VTB mortgage holder and ballooned the VTB from$30,000 to $43,000; included in that is interest payments of $150 per month at a rate of 10% and increasing to 13% interest. [side note is that to date the VTB has not been filed on the mortgage title as a caveat and we dont see evidence that the investor who is on the first mortgage signed the VTB mortgage documents]

Up until July of this year the property had been cashflowing $200-300 per month but around that time it was verified that there was no reserve and the cashflow was gone. There hasn`t been any major expenses on the property and no monies were paid to the investors. Tennants left a suite in July and there hasn`t been any new one until this month, and the new tennants are paying approx. $100.00 less

Right now the property taxes on the home are behind about 3-4 months ($800-1000 total) as well the mortgage is 3 months behind. We found out that the tennants smoke quite heavily and that the place will probably need to be repainted and carpets replaced/cleaned and hardwood floors refinished at some point.

The other investor and I are prepared to take the property over and put in some cash and try to bring the property back into a cashflow position. We drafted up a new contract and presented it to the company (perhaps they will return the documents tonight) and we will each have a 45% share instead of the 25%. I realize that we will have to be in this for the long haul, perhaps 10 years and may only get the return of our initial investment back.

We have tried to work with the holder of the VTB mortgage and create a situation that can work for him but he has not agreed to come to the table and so we need to consider the risks in moving forward without him. Well the first of the month is coming and the bank will need more funds to stave off foreclosure. We will see what happens. Anyone have comments or advice. I appreciate the insight.

Godfried, I like reading your responses and your comments might still hold true but I thought it would be fair to give you a better picture.

Take care all of you!

bizaro86

Registered
How much do you think the house is worth now?

Presuming the first mortgage is ~245,000, plus the 43,000 on the 2nd mortgage (assuming it was registered at the higher amount), gets you to 288,000. If the house is still only worth 300k, there is only 12k of equity left. It probably isn`t worth putting 6k minimum (for mortgage/tax arrears) plus legal fees into it to get that equity.

You`re better off taking that money and putting it into a new investment that isn`t so screwed up. It might also be worth persuing legal action against Mr X for misappropriating the reserve funds. If he has any assets, you might be able to get that back.

Michael

QUOTE (springforward @ Oct 27 2010, 07:02 PM) So let`s see if I can be clear in showing the financial situation.

Purchase price of the house (Feb 13, 2009) $300,000

First Mortgage @ 4.5% for 5 Years $247,000

VTB 2nd mortgage $ 30,000

Closing costs ??? Up to $ 17,850

The monthly rent for this house in Calgary was $1975.00

Approx. monthly mortgage $1250 + taxes, property tax, etc

Then in April and July of 2009 the company brought on myself and another investor and we contributed $27,000 each for a 25% share in it. The company retained "financial management of the property and held a 40% share and gave a 10% share to the fellow who registered the title in his name. The only monies put into the project was the $54,000 by the two investors. We were told that only approx $22,000 of the $54,000 was actually put towards the mortgage and the remainder into reserves [joint account with other properties] To date there is no reserve funds or cashflow available in the account and no real record of where it went provided by the company.

In March or April of this year without telling us the company re-negotiated with the VTB mortgage holder and ballooned the VTB from$30,000 to $43,000; included in that is interest payments of $150 per month at a rate of 10% and increasing to 13% interest. [side note is that to date the VTB has not been filed on the mortgage title as a caveat and we dont see evidence that the investor who is on the first mortgage signed the VTB mortgage documents]

Up until July of this year the property had been cashflowing $200-300 per month but around that time it was verified that there was no reserve and the cashflow was gone. There hasn`t been any major expenses on the property and no monies were paid to the investors. Tennants left a suite in July and there hasn`t been any new one until this month, and the new tennants are paying approx. $100.00 less

Right now the property taxes on the home are behind about 3-4 months ($800-1000 total) as well the mortgage is 3 months behind. We found out that the tennants smoke quite heavily and that the place will probably need to be repainted and carpets replaced/cleaned and hardwood floors refinished at some point.

The other investor and I are prepared to take the property over and put in some cash and try to bring the property back into a cashflow position. We drafted up a new contract and presented it to the company (perhaps they will return the documents tonight) and we will each have a 45% share instead of the 25%. I realize that we will have to be in this for the long haul, perhaps 10 years and may only get the return of our initial investment back.

We have tried to work with the holder of the VTB mortgage and create a situation that can work for him but he has not agreed to come to the table and so we need to consider the risks in moving forward without him. Well the first of the month is coming and the bank will need more funds to stave off foreclosure. We will see what happens. Anyone have comments or advice. I appreciate the insight.

Godfried, I like reading your responses and your comments might still hold true but I thought it would be fair to give you a better picture.

Take care all of you!

springforward

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Oct 27 2010, 07:06 PM)
How much do you think the house is worth now?

Presuming the first mortgage is ~245,000, plus the 43,000 on the 2nd mortgage (assuming it was registered at the higher amount), gets you to 288,000. If the house is still only worth 300k, there is only 12k of equity left. It probably isn't worth putting 6k minimum (for mortgage/tax arrears) plus legal fees into it to get that equity.

You're better off taking that money and putting it into a new investment that isn't so screwed up. It might also be worth persuing legal action against Mr X for misappropriating the reserve funds. If he has any assets, you might be able to get that back.

Michael

Michael,

My guess is that in today's market the house is worth less than $300,000, perhaps by $30,000-$40,000.

When you were talking about the second mortgage being registered were you meaning with Land Titles? What if the 2nd was never registered period and not signed by the title holder?

Can you recommend a lawyer in BC?

Even though the property might be able to get back on track to be mostly self supporting you figure the Reserve fund withdrawl and the inflated 2nd mortgage plus the extra costs (to stop it from bleeding red ink) make it a dead horse?

Cheers

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (springforward @ Oct 27 2010, 07:02 PM) So let`s see if I can be clear in showing the financial situation.

Take care all of you!

You`re welcome. Don`t worry about the numbers in my example. Its intend was to make you think about your real numbers and about how much is left. At this point, if you still feel you want to put more money in, then don`t commit until you have all financial data of your JV company and without MR. X in the game. He lost enough of your dough!

But, as Michael suggested, it seems most of your funds are gone. So really, what is your upside here?

Top Bottom